sleeping boy

Wonderful! 5 stars for sure!

Congratulations on getting Top Row :smiley: I knew it had to happen, this is too beautiful not to be there, Doris!

Incredible work! Really all sculpted, even the hair and bear fur??? Can’t even imagine what polycount must be - give us a hint. Ausgezeichnet.

“Uncanny Valley”? Perhaps… But every artist has to pass through that valley on the way to true human realism. You have achieved something that is truly great, Doris. I look forward to seeing you continue on making awesome artwork. This is a joy to behold, especially when one considers it’s made using free tools. :slight_smile:

Dan

Stunning!! Congrats on the well deserved top row!

Very nice scene. Is it made using Blender sculpt tools or with help of ZBrush? And how did you accomplish the knitting pattern, is it sculpted as well?

• checks image
  • goes to his children’s room to watch them sleep

Nice image…

Just curious, the sculpting is done in Blender or ZBrush?

…and what about the render engine/time?

Awesome model.

Doris, you’re one of the best sculptors I’ve seen! I don’t know if you are intending to add colored shaders to this, but it’s so successful in white. In my opinion, your different textures do a good job on their own of defining each different object in the scene.

Nice Work ! 5*

I’m glad to see it featured in the top row as deserved!

I think it will go in Gallery too.

Congratulations!

paolo

wow! thank you so much, very happy my little boy made it into top row :slight_smile:

yes, this is 99% blender, blenders sculpt tools are the best what i ever experienced (well besides the multires bugs ;-)). i tell a liite more about how i made it.

the first day was sculpting in dynatopo, baby, blankets, and teddy. teddy was made from somewhat flattened spheres for head, ears, snout and body that i booleaned together, then a little dynatopo sculpting on that to shape the ears, bend them create hands. teddy took no more than 15 minutes… i also set up camera and sculpted the pillow to get a good composition. i wanted the boy be cozyly surrounded by this pillow and blankets.

next day, i see i need a hand that holds the teddy, to strengthen the mood of the image and for composition to break the long line from the cover blanket… so i sculpt that.
then i retopo and uv the blankets in zbrush (simply because i was too lazy to do it by hand in blender). baby, teddy and hand are still pure dynatopo… back to blender i am at the stage what is seen in center in the image below. i work more on the uv, rotate and scale them so that the pattern will align prperly (as far as i know one cannot rotate textures that are used for displace modifier)…
then i made in photoshop the tileable textues for the blanket and pillow from knitting pattern.
then i made fur and hair in blender, details are in the image below.
them lightning, material.

whole scene has less than 500 000 tris. of course the blankets have subdivision modifiers, because sss is in the materials i needed render on cpu (which is 1/3 slower on my machine) and it took cycles an hour to render (i used branched path tracing, with more samples for the sss, and altogether 800 samples)

and a sheet that answers the other questions…

thank you for your nice comments!

Just, wow, if anyone doubted Blender was a capable tool in a good artists hands, your work puts paid to that idea. Absolutely outstanding, if depressing knowing I will never reach your lofty heights. :wink: Worthy front page work as always.

colkai, that is very kind of you… but, of course, you can reach, just move, try always your best, and all will develop. and, yes, blender has grown to a great tool, i have some wishes still, like more artist friendly handling, but yes, you can do what you imagine with it now!

Great & Lovely!
5*

I hope my message was not misinterpreted; My intention was to say that the image looks believable and pleasing and DOES NOT fall into the “Uncanny Valley” so to speak. Just to be clear.

Is there another term for this phrase in German? Or would it simply the direct translation of the English term?

Thank you for the breakdown you posted above, it’s very helpful!

Love it, Doris. :slight_smile:
Lovely art!

oh snap! good job!

Wow, very impressive, fantastic work again Doris !