Ryeath's Sketchbook

A couple more weekend challenges and a WIP sculpt. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

skill ups, nice!

Finished up the Puplock Holmes render, and one more quick weekend challenge.

Attachments

A quick abstract for fun.

Attachments

nice render of sherlock dog :slight_smile: also the choice of background is nicey fitting :slight_smile:

I really love the way your work has come along… and I’m really loving the last abstract!! How did you achieve that?

Most recent sculpt, James Cagney.

Attachments

One more weekend challenge in the books.

Attachments

the cagney portrait turned out quite well. …hmmm i love icecream :slight_smile:

Thanks doris. Your guidance is most invaluable. About ready to start my next one but the weather is too fine outside, taking my daughter on a bike ride.

With springtime here I have found very little time to spend in front of the computer. I have managed a couple of real quick weekend challenges, but that’s about all. I’ve also started on the Blenderella series, but haven’t got too far on them yet.

Attachments

A few more quick weekend challenges.

With Quandtrum announcing his(her?) retirement as the moderator of the challenges, the entry count has been way down. No word yet if anyone will take over. Combine that with very little weekend time available, I feel these my be my last challenge images. I have learned so much doing them, but now I think I need to spend what little time I can find to work on more complete projects and studies that the weekend challenges don’t allow time for.

Edit: rarebit just announced he will be heading the weekend challenges, yea!

Attachments

A couple more weekend challenges and a sculpt. Hard to find time now that summer is here. Too much yard work and outdoor activities to spend much time on the computer.

Attachments

good portrait… i did not recognize him in the dyntopo thread, since i did not know him… from your reference sheet i think the resemblence\likeness is there … from sculpting, i would advise to not use the smooth,… increase polycount and sculpt smooth by hand (= using the clay or claystrips brush at a low setting and building the surface to appear smooth, ,). this is better, since you yourself control how the surface looks, which shape it has, and not a “random smoothing algorithm”… for sculpture, you even can leave the sculpt very rough, most of the time this is way better than smoothing, since the rough sculpture makes clear, honest statements. a property most wished for in sculpture, and lost by smoothing… sorry for long say, but your sculpt has so well foundation, i feel like i should say… keep sculpting, you are on very good way!

Thanks for the advice doris, it is much appreciated.

A couple more weekend challenges. Finally tried Michalis’ technique of displacement sculpting. Quite fun.

Attachments

Just wanted to say that I appreciate your reply to me earlier on. As much as I frequent this site (and others that have similar functionality) I just figured out how to look over old posts without having to subscribe to everything! I’m not the sharpest knife in the drawer sometimes!

Vertigo is great! As well as everything else, nice work! :slight_smile: Cool lighting on PA-13 :slight_smile:

Xraygunner, I learn so much from others on this site I don’t mind sharing the stuff I have learned. This truly is a great, open and sharing site. It’s also nice to hear that I am improving.

Vicky, glad you like vertigo and PA-13 images.

The vertigo was done very quickly as I had about an hour free time before leaving to go camping. I just took a sphere with 48 rings, deleted half, flipped the normals so texture would be inside. Then rotated each ring a bit in opposite directions and offset each a bit in random directions. Gave each face a black or white high gloss finish in a checker pattern. Used a brick texture as a environment light, threw in a few monkeys and there it was.

The PA-13 is Blender internal with a couple sun lamps at a low angle, a fill light here and there against a black background. I found a JPEG of a mountain sunset, added and blurred it in the compositor. A teeny bit of post in paint.net. Of course all credit to michalis for the displacement technique.

Haven’t posted anything in a bit so here is another weekend challenge and a WIP sculpt.

Thanks for stopping by and looking.

Attachments

Just had a look through your sketchbook. Love the low poly dog and cat ones. A great example of something I’m starting to understand and trying to explain to newer users that you don’t have to have a lot of detail to come up with some great looking art. As an Eagle scout, I also love the knots! (Where’s the bowline? :smiley: )

I also love the Puplock Holmes. Great use of imagination!