RenderStreet - questions and feedback

Just wanted to drop a note here for those interested.

I gave Render.ST a serious test drive for a big project and everything went pretty well.

The website is simple in nature which I think is rather a good thing when you are dealing with 20, 30 and more different product shots.

It was a nice fire and forget, errr upload and forget game and renderspeed was drastically faster than with my own hardware anyway.

So if you are a Cycles user and need a renderfarm this place has my thumbs up!

Woahh you made me happy!

I created single files for all the shots but now I know I can rather build a library file with all the parts
and have my individual objects linked into different Blend files.

It might be a nice idea to make also an uploader.

I started to use the scene button to have camera product render settings for different shots for different pages.
And if in Blender I could just go to the scene and hit upload instead of saving the scene setting as a file it would be fantastic as well.

I think renderflow is using a Java uploader and thats actually quite sufficient.

Hmm, in that case it must be something wrong with my file setup. I’m using linked libraries all over the place, so maybe it has something to do with that. Last time it made all linked textures purple because they were not packed in their respective libraries, but now it seems to work fine. I’ll have to investigate this fur issue more closely.

One more thing - is it possible to set render to GPU from the website? I can’t really do that on my desktop PC because i have an AMD card and OpenCL got totally broken after a driver update. Blender detects that and hides all menus related to GPU rendering…

I tried to render several times a Yafaray project and only get a blank frame

Hikaru, please send an email to our support and give your permission to look at the project file. We’ll look at it and see why it doesn’t render.

Pesho, cekuhnen, you can also upload the files unpacked. Please check this article that explains how to do it: http://render.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/49942-how-to-pack-your-file-for-uploading

Pesho, regarding the GPU usage, we automatically set that, unless the project has features that work only on CPU (such as SSS or OSL). If that happens, you’ll see a warning saying that the job was rendered on CPU.

Another quick update: we just added Blender 2.67b to our farm. It’s an update that fixes a number of bugs and should have a greater stability than 2.67a.

It is a great service you guys are providing. I will use it for future projects most certain. Current project I will render on my own farm due to the prohibitive cost (more than $600 to render it on your farm).

el_diablo - I’m glad you like our service and looking forward to your next project. Also - take a look at the upper subscription levels, they offer savings (and extra speed) for larger projects.

Been using the service. Its awesome as a supplement to my machine rendering.

Question: Can you guys do separate render layers in one render?

Definitely can. There are two ways to approach this:

1. Use Multilayer EXR output and it will save each render layer as a separate layer in the file.
  2. Use file output nodes in the compositor. And you’ll find the additional files in the archive available via the “download all” link a few minutes after the job is finished.

I don’t know if this has been said anywhere but can single frame renders be accelerated over several/many machines?
Say the render would take 10 hours on one machine (ie a 6MP+ image), I want it in less than an hour.

I believe Cycles itself does not support single frame network rendering atm but perhaps you had set up a method to split the frame? (ie a border render with a few pixels overlap)

Yes, we do support that. In our interface, you will need to check the ‘Allow splitting and rendering on multiple servers’ box when creating a new job.
Please note that this will disable compositing and file output capturing from compositor nodes will also be disabled.

I got now really dismised when i readed that. Farm is only 3GB on GPU is that true ;/ ?

That is the amount of memory each graphic card has, not the system memory. And if I am correct (I am quoting from memory), from the consumer cards, only the Titans and some flavors of 680 have more memory than this.

From our experience, this is enough for the vast majority of jobs. In fact, only 0.8% of the Cycles jobs that we rendered were automatically (and with no delay) switched to CPU because of that. And given the fact that our CPU servers are top of the line, those got rendered very fast too :slight_smile:

File output nodes huhu should have read this earlier!
I am glad to see this because sofar I rendered two images for color and shadow pass!

Cool!

Coming back with some fresh updates: we have Blender 2.68 available on the farm, with hair (strand/fur) rendering on GPU. 2.68 is also faster than the previous versions and so far it has proven to have less bugs than 2.67, so I encourage you to switch if you didn’t already.

More goodies: we will soon release a plugin for Blender. The Windows version is already in beta testing, and we need some testers for Mac and Linux. If you want to be among the first to use the plugin and give us feedback, drop us either a PM here or a message on the site.

And one for the pro’s: we now support uploading your entire folder structure to our server and rendering from it. And if there is an animation you can even pause it, update a file/library and then resume the job using the updated configuration. Also, if you have really large scenes, we happen to have some servers with 200 GB of ram. So don’t shy away :wink:

And finally, some minor interface updates. We will continue working on the interface in order to simplify it further, so you will see more gradual changes in the next months. If there is something that you like - or something that you don’t - from these updates, please let us know.

Happy blending!
Marius

Cool, a Blender plugin sounds great :slight_smile:

Also 200GB of RAM, are you planning to render out Avatar? Hahah :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

A fresh update to celebrate the end of the holiday season: we have improved our job adding interface and added several new options.
You can now set the rendering parameters (resolution, samples, camera) and even force a Cycles job to render on CPU.
This means that, if you do a small resolution test first and then the full project, you don’t need to reupload it. Just clone the job and set the desired resolution and samples. Easier and faster.

A detailed description of the new features can be found on our blog here:

i have a question: why should i choose renderstreet when there’s raybump? it’s a litrial quesion, please state the pros and cons so that i may comsider it

The answer from my point of view is simple:
render.st is mutch more reliable, stable and easier to use.

I did not compare the price in detail, but even if the price would be higher, it’s worth it.

Kind regards
Alain