RenderStreet - questions and feedback

yes thank you for your time. one simple question.

What is the status of luxrender because this what i am acctualy interested because cycles is quite fast when you have 2 GTX 580 or some other card in twin setup, using farm is not nessesery but in lux render it really have sens.

We fully support LuxRender, both standalone projects (based on .lxs files) and via .blend files. We also provide the .FLM file when the render is done, so you can render the same job on multiple machines and merge the FLM files later.

On the Cycles, you are right, it is fast on such a machine, but when you have an animation with 1000 frames for example, even if it takes 2 minutes for a frame, you would still do better with multiple servers rendering it.

While rendering do i see the result in real time i mean as you know luxrender render never stop and acctualy you newer know when it will be clear. i have to guess how many hours? it have to render or i can see the result and just click stop.

We enforce setting either the HaltSPP or HaltTime in the project, so it will stop when one of the parameters is reached. We do provide intermediate previews (PNG files), but will only provide the FLM file once the render has been finished. If you can do without the FLM file, you can download the preview, check the quality and stop the job before it is finished.

Go ahead and add a project on our site to see how it works.

How much power cores/GHZ is per user?

That depends on the user membership level. We only allocate full servers to jobs, so there is only one job being rendered on a server at a time. The number of servers allocated to a job is dynamically adjusted based on various parameters.

One thing to note though is that the users who have not paid yet anything and are using the bonus money are allocated a maximum of 5 servers. This can change in the future (up or down) based on the number of users who pay.

Just want to say that RenderStreet helped pull me through a recent last minute project. It was incredibly easy to use and super fast, saved my butt.

My only comment is the membership options only seems to make sense if you need access to tons of server nodes at once, otherwise it just makes it more expensive unless you render tons of projects monthly.

Question - does this work with linked libraries? Textures can be packed into the .blend file, but assets like meshes and armatures that are linked from other .blend files cannot.

If i choose in luxrender Hybrid rendering with renders CPU+GPU those it work toghether or no?

i have done a test of render on CPU on luxrender. and i have i5 laptop. So i was rendering the sceen by 20 minuts on 50% of full HD and it was 60 samlpes. on farm Free acount bonus cashe. 20 minutes 100% fullHD the same time. That means that farm for free user is 4 times faster then i5 laptop i am right?

crazycourier: I’m glad we were able to help :slight_smile:
And you are correct - the membership levels from Silver onwards start showing their advantages for users and companies that have a bigger render pipeline or in case you need an animation done faster. And I just want to point out that the minimum membership period is one month, we are not trying to force users to pay more than they need. Which means that if you have a spike in your workload, you can just upgrade your membership for that month, and then go back to previous level the next month.

Pesho: all external libraries can be packed with the “Pack Blender Libraries” function, which was introduced in Blender 2.66 . The command isn’t in the Blender menus, but you can press Spacebar and type it. For more information about packing files for using with our farm, please see this article: https://render.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/49942-how-to-pack-your-file-for-uploading

Kramon: At the moment, our Luxrender implementation works on CPU. And you are correct, in the case you described the server that rendered your file on our farm was 4 times faster than your laptop. Also, please remember that you can render more than one file at the same time, and they will be rendered in parallel. Which means that, for instance, if you have two such files and start them at the same time on our farm, the total speed increase will be 8 times compared to your laptop.

Oh very nice! Still using 2.62 here, so i wasn’t aware they added an option to pack libraries. In that case i’m looking forward to using your service for any “slow rendering” projects :yes: The 25$ gratis is also awesome for those who want to try it out first.

i have to really think about using luxrender, the rendering times are just whay off! im rendering 15H now and i still see noize. On rendering farm i will have to set somethink about 40H. or even more because resolution will be 10 000 pixels wide, (i want to print that). or i will just let the laptop rendering one week or 2 weeks :X 150$-200$ would be a cost. of rendering this in one or 2 days on farm.

Acctualy did you think about some special, price or using the power of serwers if someone is rendering a one frame? you know, let more servers render, and it will render in one hour. and done. Price would be more but i mean time… 2 days is big number. in terms of one image.

And what is happening when my rendering is going more then i have money?

@Kramon, you can render the lux project in 24 different jobs of one hour, then use luxmerge to merge the flm files and it will be the same as rendering 24 hours. Since you can grab the flm files after the job is done rendering, this will help with the time.

When the rendering goes over the amount of money you have, the job will get paused (in case of animations) and the currently rendering frames will finish rendering. If you go too much in the red while the currently rendering frames finish (the amount varies based on the membership level), the project will get canceled. We do this to make sure we don’t credit your account with too much money. I’ve seen animations with frames of 30 minutes or more. When you compound that with 100 servers, you can imagine how much in the red a project can go if we don’t cancel it.

In case of still images, the same applies, the job will get paused and we’ll try to finish rendering the still image. If it takes too long, we’ll cancel it.

AH i see, Can you tell me more how to prepare that for this split rendering project? and maybe some better contact, i don’t know maybe by facebook messages? to get quick answers for some questions.

We do not support splitting for LuxRender. You can render the same Lux file in multiple jobs and merge the FLM files to achieve the same result though. There’s no special requirement for that, just render the same project in multiple different jobs and then use the FLM files provided with the luxmerge program.

For the faster contact, the fastest way to reach us is via the “ask a question” button in jobs management area, or via the support form in the same area.

i really start loving this farm i think i will be using it very often with cycles is so nice. What is the best setup for cycles i mean beter is to choose GPU or CPU and what tiles?

For Cycles, we automatically analyze the file and figure out what the best settings are. As of today, if it has Cycles hair, SSS or OSL, it will automatically get rendered on CPU. Otherwise it will go on GPU. If we detect the GPU ran out of memory, it will switch automatically o rendering on CPU.

For the tiles, we set that to the optimal value before rendering the file (depending on whether it’s CPU or GPU), so it doesn’t matter what you have in the file. Just set it at the best value for your machine.

Wow, that’s a pretty advanced system. Sounds almost like you’ve created artificial intelligence :wink:

Wow, that’s a pretty advanced system. Sounds almost like you’ve created artificial intelligence

Hehe, that was funny :slight_smile:

It’s simple courtesy, in fact. You shouldn’t need to do any configuration for us, if we can do it. Another thing that works nice is baking for all physics supported by Blender.

There’s a lot more in our pipeline and will get released in the following weeks / months.

I reported the bug but i will write hear 2 i uploud a job and where all my jobs are there is stauts and progresion and it was 0% until to the finish of the job. but when i was entering some job and refreshing it was showing 15% 56% etc…