RC Helicopter

@theoldghost: Thank you, and thanks again for the help! :slight_smile:

@James Candy: Thank you! The blur was indeed a challenge, and hopefully someone will learn from our success and failures :smiley:

Hey I see you and your copter “flew” right up into the top row… congratulations!

Hehe! Thanks! This was unexpected to say the least. I want to thank you again for working through the motion blur stuff with me, without you guys pushing me to make this thing fly, I doubt it would be up top at all :smiley:

Congrats on the top row, Vicky! Well deserved!

@VickyM72,
Awesome work on your copter, tis cool and would look fun to fly (ô¿ô)
Kudos on your well deserved top row :slight_smile:

Cheers.
~Tung

Awesome work I’ll fly rc helicopters in real life.

Well deserved TopRow.
Congratulations!!!

@gradyp: Thank you so much! :slight_smile:

@tungerz: Thanks a lot! :slight_smile: That’s a TRex, one of the helicopters I took a lot of inspiration from :slight_smile: Cool video!

@antonvdh: Cool! Thank you! :slight_smile:

@michalis: Thanks very much! :slight_smile:

Looks incredible! I love the detail you put into every piston and screw. Is this based off of a certain RC heli, or did you design it yourself?

Thank you! :slight_smile: For reference I used a bunch of Align, Trex, and CopterX parts, but I tried to incorporate my own designs to it. The “VMRC”, “Wicked Canopy”, and “Team 420” logos and paint are my own. :slight_smile:

Love the detail in the paint job.

@Twitch84: Thank you! That was one of the more fun things to design :slight_smile:

Very nice work! I like a lot the last image!
Is pretty cool the motion blur efect you reach with gimp, congrats!

PD is pretty tedius made a animation with that effect on gimp?

thanks for sharing !:slight_smile:

@joseperez: Thanks a lot! :smiley:

This model came out really great, but as a rc hobbyist myself, you may need to rematerial your wires. From battery to heli body is a red and black wire. also another wire that should hang out from underneath the heli front housing is a 4 wire cell connection. But great work.

picture from hobbyking

Also due to this heli’s props having no camber. this would fly under a Collective pitch, so it would be really difficult to rig, as you first have to make sure the system rotates the right way, and if it gains altitude the props rotate independently to basically create their own camber. and if flying upside down the props spin the other direction.

@sircactuscat: Thanks very much! :slight_smile:
For the motor wires I used this reference:

I probably could have done a lot more with the wires, but I was going by references where the guys had them all pretty well hidden on the right side and under the canopy. It was getting pretty high-poly for my PC though, so I had to leave out some detail that I really wanted. :frowning:
As for rigging this, I don’t think it would be that difficult, but I do know one thing…I’m not going to do it! LOL
Thanks again for the kind words and reference pic, I might do another one of these some day, it was a blast :smiley:

You know, cycles has full object motion blur that works very well. If you wanted to return to this, you could render out just the blades in cycles and composite it in. It might make for a more integrated workflow.

Blender’s blur was not getting the desired effect that I wanted, although I tried it multiple times with multiple variations of settings. The main problem is that my blades are painted, and with 32 samples only, it basically gave me 32 copies of my blades…just turned a bit each time(and I needed about 1000 samples). The result was choppy, and that’s not what I wanted. If my blades were solid black, then I would have done all of this in Blender more than likely. Blurring the blades in GIMP and UV mapping them in Blender is hardly a wonky workflow though, it’s the same as texturing anything. :)Here’s a basic breakdown of how it was done:

EDIT: Larger picture(for some reason the uploaded one got scaled, on my end at least):
http://www.pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=76800

Blender internal’s renderer is limited to dumb, brute force motion blur, yes. But cycles motion blur is much more efficient. you literally could set it to 1000 samples if you wanted to. Here is a sample rendered with cycles.

@SterlingRoth: That does indeed look a lot better than the results I was getting(in Blender), but if you wanted to change the angle you’d have to do that all over again, while I could just re-render my circles and re-blur the little parts. 6 in one hand, half a dozen in the other, really. Both methods work fine. Thanks for the tip, I’ll certainly look more into this. :slight_smile: Looks like you need to make a helicopter now! :smiley: