Question, why texture paint doesn´t have symmetry?

I really do hope so, there was a lot of work done before privately towards this. I am not sure if that would translate to the 3d view as is, I didn’t see the updates after awhile. Someone had said that .psd support would be the best, but even .xcf or .ora would be cool all things considered. I really wonder how you would access the layers individually in node set ups to control bump, gloss, etc. But I think if it gets to the point that it becomes a priority, then it would be worked out. For now, I still use Internal as my painting set up for creating layers to be used with GLSL, but the new viewport work will change all that, and that is really exciting stuff!

amazinggggg thanks campbell!!!

T’is now in master https://developer.blender.org/rBe2d60d180ed8a318b48833a07e1d17a788fa9a38 :slight_smile:

tonigh when the build bot do the new build i will test it right away ^^

This is coming right on time (ahead of time actually), thanks ideasman. Few questions : does it use global axes ? Does it work if shape is almost the same but topology is different ? if topology is the same but the model is posed ?

Hadrien

Incredible! i can finally begin applying the mirror modifiers on all my characters (as soon as 2.75 is out) :smiley: thanks Campbell

to push our luck further (perhaps too far), is there any chance we’re gonna be able to sculpt directly to normals any time soon?

oh and one other thing i’ve been curious about, why don’t blender’s brushes project onto the mesh geometry? is that related to the viewport project?

This combined with the upcoming Ptex and PBR viewport support will be a winning combination!

@Hadriscus,

• It uses the local axis (objects XYZ)
  • Can be any topology (even very asymmetrical shapes).

@khalibloo, not sure what you mean by the 2 features you mention, I could take a guess… (this is a projection painting thread, you mean paint into normal map?)… also not sure what project onto mesh means. For these kinds of questions you need to link to some detailed info on what you talk about, theres far too many different interpretations.

so if it uses (like spoiler alert, feature request alert ^-^) the local axis, it could be possible to have an arbritrary axis, an empty for example to get position and orientation(like the mirror modifier)?, if it uses the same system as the sculpt brush, having a custom center for mirror and other for radial simmetry woud give a possibility to do some really crazy stuff.

Other question, how does it set the limit of the paint area?, i mean if the model its not symmetrical when painting should be a point were “the other side” its not painted any more, like in sculpt with mirror in an asymmetrical mesh and there is a point were the vertex are not displace, i thought it was some kind of radious from the paint/sculpt point but its just an idea i never had a certain about this.

DOWNLOADING the 32x win fresh build from build bot ^0 ^

it supports mask!!! DUDE it supports mask

Initial tests show that paint symmetry works well, even without a symmetrical UVmap.

I guess by now it’s only a good layer system (and possibly UDIM capability) that Blender’s painting system lacks in terms of major stuff. I wonder if this type of thing is something that can easily translate over to Ptex once Nicholas commits it to master?

Was it psy-fi who was working on this a long long time ago? I’ve definitely used a Blender binary which had layers…

Okay thanks. Fantastic. :))

wow, symmetrical texture painting finally! awesome!

No. At first it was in some GSoC project (I think in 2010), then some developer named Fabio Russo took over it, but he hasn’t given any news for the past year and a half. I decided a few weeks ago to update the latest version of his patch, but the way image buffers are handled in Blender changed a bit since last update by Fabio so it needs some more work. I’ve uploaded the patch here after a brief talk with Sergey (he’s the one who changed image buffer handling) so he can give some feeedback/point me in the right direction when he has time. Also I haven’t looked at it again since then. I think for the both it’s quite low priority, but it could be cool to nail this down eventually :slight_smile:

Gave a quick test on today’s buildbot and i’m amazed by how well this painting symmetry works .
Congratulations !

@ideasman,
I apologize…

for the first part, what i was trying to describe is something similar to what Quixel’s NDO does. but instead of painting normal maps in a 2d image editor, one would sculpt/paint directly on a 3d model and influence the normal maps rather than the mesh geometry itself. Yes there are alternatives like baking, or painting on grayscale heightmaps, but those aren’t always ideal or convenient.

as for the second part, here’s a snapshot of how blender’s sculpt brush works. notice how the brush doesn’t project and wrap itself around the geometry.

here’s a snapshot of sculptris’s brush. it’s a little hard to see, but if you look carefully, you’ll see it projecting and wrapping itself around the nose and the rest of the face following the contours.

There was a gsoc project with the on-surface brush like Sculptris has several years ago.
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Jwilkins/GSoC2011/Google_Summer_of_Code_2011_Preliminary_Documentation