Ptex testing

@Nicholas,
98.9 % sure there is something I’m not setting right on the material
Any changes to instructions?
Pushing Cycles-Ptex-49_Win7.x64-edad477 to graphicall

Is it because its not allowing available paint slot under material mode in the slots panel?
Image mode with monkey uv’d can paint on her.
Material mode it is pink like a broken texture slot.

Testing notes…
2 monkeys = monkey + monkey.001
ptex on 1 material mode and ptex.001 image mode on other, both separate uvs
paint texture on one under image texture it auto maps it to the other even though it’s a different uv map
Viewport shading = no ptex paint / @ texture shading can paint
Says no texture available?

Are you using explicit UV maps? That shouldn’t be necessary (although in and of itself it shouldn’t do anything bad either). Also check if your material node setup looks like the one in the image here: http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Nicholasbishop/Ptex

Thanks Nicholas for your efforts and my broda tungerz for the build.
I m on win 7 nvidia 550ti after a quick play i found some problems i m having hard time to paint on specific part, ptex paint on my mesh as whole so one color everywhere. I found one bug here is a video on youtube http://youtu.be/4WB4jFtMKA4

Interesting. I knew about the funky screen colors bug, should be easy fix. But I don’t know why painting isn’t working correctly, couldn’t see any wrong settings in the video. Could you check in the Image editor for an automatically-created image (probably called “Untitled” in your build, recently fixed), and see what it looks like? Dimensions, and whether it contains any of your painting?

I’ve got Cycles-Ptex-49_Win7.x64-73d9c15 in the oven now…
I’ll upload or I’ll post a link here soon.

Just waiting on the cuda kernels to simmer.
I’m thinking about installing I-Beams under my computer just to compile those ô¿ô

Saw you commit change to the gui panel?

Cheers bro

Yep, GUI panel now has a property to set the resolution when creating a layer. (Previously it defaulted to 32x32 pixels per face.)

If you like you could probably disable building the CUDA kernels for now, I’m fairly certain the Ptex code there isn’t working correctly yet :slight_smile:

Yup, I had one nasty message with Gpu -n- crash before I could get the message :stuck_out_tongue:
Cpu @ Experimental or supported better for now?

Mainly just takes twice as long now that we build separate kernels for each arch + my rig is aging :stuck_out_tongue:

I have checked it yes indeed i have image file named untitled in there is nothing. If there is a fix for this then i will wait for the next build.
Noted that i m using tungerz build from graphicall. Here is another video showing how that image file looks like. http://youtu.be/sOsIyss_p3k

I’m curious, what is the workflow going to be for changing individual faces/patches resolution on the fly while painting. The Blender texpaint mode doesn’t seem at all suited for this at the moment.

It’s already there actually: turn on texpaint’s face select and select the areas of interest. The Halve/Double resolution buttons will only affect those selected faces. Guess I should document that in the wiki :slight_smile:

At some point after the first release we can get more fancy with this (I’m thinking interactive display of resampled textures so you can see what it looks like before committing), but for now I think this workflow is OK.

Error 44 error C1083: Cannot open source file: ‘I:\Blender Master\build-ptex\source\blender\gpu\shaders\gpu_shader_vsm_store_vert.glsl.c’: No such file or directory I:\Blender Master\build-ptex\source\blender\gpu\c1

Error building on win7 x64

Thanks for the fix, but painting is COMPLETELY broken here right now. Video incoming.

EDIT: And of course, when I go to make a video, it suddenly works again. Will create a video if I can recreate what was happening before.

Did find another bug though. Select all faces, paint a stroke, undo, select just a single face, double/halve resolution, and the undone stroke reappears and cannot be undone again.

Here is one of the latest builds = Cycles-Ptex-49_Win7.x64-232fb32
I’ll leave the link up until I can get it uploaded to graphicall

Cheers,
~Tung

Just a note, with latest commit it builds fine on Cmake/Xcode OSX.

The issues I’ve run into so far, for anyone interested. Nicholas has already seen.

@m9105826,
Just curious are you using one of my builds or one you built?

My own build.

If I ptex paint in say… Zbrush, can I put that ptex in Blender with this???

Some reason i have yet to get it running on mine
everything is in place
dunno.can you test mine and see if it works for you as well.
im setting something wrong.
lack of sleep working nights… ugh

thanks in advance

Cheers,
~Tung

ZBrush has no Ptex support, but if you paint one in Mari or Mudbox you should be able to import it into Blender with the Import Ptex Layer button. I’ll give it a try tomorrow.