Opening the Dark Portal

Right… i knew i had seen that portal before :smiley: its from world of warcraft :slight_smile: sick model… well done…

Wow, thanks mate, Glad you liked it!

Yeah! i’m really looking forward to it too!
Cheers!

Thanks mate! Glad you liked it!

Hahahah, this case the game would be like a gnome role playing hahahah
Glad you liked mate, Thank you!

Thanks mate, Glad you liked it!

World of Warcraft has one of the most amazing environments out there, even if a bit outdated, i still think all concepts from there are awesome and worth to take a look!
Glad you liked, mate! Thank you!

Hey, thanks man!
and yea, a bit crazy, huh? hahah

I was afraid that my pc can’t handle the final scene at all (since in my last renders from other works i had to use pagefile to cache things on HD, otherwise blender crashes on render :G)

So i’ve used a mix of semi procedural textures, brutal normal mapping and reusing every single mesh i could

I’ll take the wooden structures as a example:

These wood pieces in particular have the same textures, moreover are the same instanced meshes, after having a previous idea on how the things will should appear, with the metal structures, i figured that for believably i’ll need not so obvious repeating textures, so i’ve created a shader that randomizes Y coordinates for the base bark texture for each new object ID, on top of that, they changes the contrast randomly for each object too, giving a more or less damaged feel, and to get rid of obvious tilling i’ve blended with a different wood texture using a procedural noise, and setting that noise to displacement channel, to bump the first texture, making something like a damaged bark

And yea i know, we can barely see it in the final render hahaha :frowning:

But when i did it was not sure yet about the camera position, and also, always good to practice, right? :smiley:

I take that texturing approach to basically every shader, using textures as sources for building a semi procedural texture

[continues~]

3 image limit per post :ba:

For the geometry i did a modular approach, building a “asset library” then using all that blocks to build the entire structure instanciated

And to optmize even more the memory usage, all the meshs for the terrain (cliffs) are actually the same hahahah

Just scaled/rotated/inverted and whatever to make feel a bit new, without mention that they are normal mapped, since i’ve sculpted them in mudbox:

They only have about to 7k poly, a bit odd without textures, but with normal map & AO blending the base texture, they get very acceptable

Cheers! :wink:

Attachments

This is brilliant!!! Reminds me of a Iron Maiden Album cover, (Powerslave / Somwhere Back In Time)
:smiley:

Thank you very much for the memory tips. Would make an excellent tutorial.

Whoa, this is a serious compliment!
Powerslave artwork is by far one of my favorite album arts of all time so far!
Thank you, glad you liked!

You’re welcome! :wink:
Actually, i’m just about to release some tutorials on CGMasters, and this subject is one that i certainly will want to cover, i’ll drop a link to you when done~
Cheers!

Truly incredible!!!

Nice… Looks really cool!

Great work.well done.

Really impressive work, mate! Nice sense of colors and scale too!

Fantastic image.

Steve S

Very cool!

Congratulations! This is amazing work and result to me. Would be awsome to have see some production/tutor vid…

First thing I thought of was World of Warcraft as well. Looks like the Dark Portal.

wow! you blow my mind plus you kill us with your amazing skills! love it!!! 7.6 million poly for whole thing…I wonder how does long have you take it completely? It looks so hollywood movie! Keep up with your work… please keep post us your update of your process work.

Truly amazing work… really glad to see the whole work process!

That’s a very compelling image.

Great work.

I’m so glad you jumped in to explain the scaffold - I was most curious about that since it’s incredibly important in the image for scale and leading the eye and it’s all magnificent! Modular as it is, randomizing the Y is brilliant for textures and then placing things by hand to add jitter and uniqueness couldn’t be better illustrated!

From the mood to camera position and subject matter, no image has been so cinematic in a long time. This is really top-notch across so many areas. Wish the best for you and hope this image helps get you paying gigs that align with your passions!

@blenderednelb, @BlenderArien, @filmkaar, @Ubuska, @SteveS, @Slir, @minev, @tomtuko:

Hey, thank you all, guys!

Can’t deny that this motivates me to the point of already thinking in the next project!

Hey, thanks man!

and yea, i’m planning to do a breakdown of the whole thing soon, with some tips for make a thing like this, when done i’ll sent you a link :wink:

hahah flattered to hear that, thanks man!

Thank you very much! Glad you liked it!

If you mean how long take to render, was around 25hrs, 4k render @1200 samples (or something like that), on CPU

The total time was around 10 working days, i would say: 1 for the statues, 1 for the portal, 1 for building the assets, 2 for scatter all assets over the scene, 1 tweaking lighting, 1 testing best camera angle, 2 rendering, 1 for post production :wink:

obviously, was not exactly like that, but, in general we can se the time division like that

The best method so far i found for concretize something is to break things systematically, having a schedule its a good way to see all the steps needed to get something done, and also to not overwork, i’ll write about that soon too (#reminder)

Cheers!

Whoa, thanks mate!

And yeah! about the scaffold (oh my god yes thats the name, i spent a long time trying to remember it when searching for refs hahahah) i was thinking in a way to add a good sense of scale for the whole thing, since the beginning, the portal thing was looking like a 2 meter statue, kinda odd, then to force a bit the scale, adding scaffolds was the first choice

Thank you very much for all the kind words, wish the same for you! :wink:
Cheers!

Absolutely awesome, and even more impressive that it took less than 10 days in you spare time.