Only Dead Here | open project | room modelling works

Hi, Grenzer. So far when I’ve seen your work it looks really good quality. It’s great that you want to help. :slight_smile:
About the mansion:
I plan it to be like XIX or XVIII century style(inbetween), with lots of castle elements. It will, however, have lots of high-tech elements. For example, there will be screens implemented in walls like built-in paintings and fingerprint scanners will be found in some doors in the place of keyholes(but they’ll look close to keyholes using the hole for casting a laser scanner). These are just some concepts of ides for mansion. I hope that you can do this:)

Well, this is about an hour’s work. First, I found some good reference images online. Than, I spent a lot of time trying to get decently clean geometry on the sofa and reduce it’s polycount. After that, I did a rough block in of the rest of the room and did a bit of work on lighting. (Too bright and happy right now, though :slight_smile: ) I’ll do UV mapping and Textures/Materials later. (I think the sofa will look really good with baked AO and Normals on it). First, I’ve got to find a good way of creating a velvet material for the fabric.:wink:

This first image is just a general overview of the room. The red square is a spot where I can put a portrait/painting. Below it is a fireplace and a mantel.

The next image shows a close up of the couch and table. The light cast by the lamp does not match up perfectly with the lamp because I still need to create and emit material for the lamp shade (If the light is inside it, the lamp shade looks black)

This final image shows the windows and blinds. I doubt that there will be a sunny, bright day in the final game though.

Tomorrow I will create more furniture for the room and add textures/materials.

Attachments

Also, be sure to leave any criticism/critiques you may have. It’s always useful!
(Not that I’ve made that much to critique…yet. ;))

Nice, I like it. I am sure that it will look very good with correct textures and matrials:)
You may try to add some volume to the curtains. Make them more dense and add that bar which they’re joint to.
Other than that it looks cool. It seems that there will be a lot of space for detail in room.

I think that we need to use lots of baked lighting in this scene, it’d increase performance and also improve visuals. In case of baked lighting we’d only need lamps for the player, enemies and NPCs. But it’s still to decide later.

Thanks for the work so far:)

Okay, day number two!

This is an overview of the room. I added a wooden floor (Still needs work, and the tiling is really obvious. I’ll add more furniture and clutter to disguise it.) That thing in the center is a carpet. I’ll do work on It’s material when I finish creating a decent carpet texture)

This is the mantel. I added candlestick holders, a vase, and a picture frames. I can create a texture atlas of portraits, photographs, and paintings.

This final image shows the new curtains and a close up of the new floor (has normal maps! :)). I followed a tutorial for the curtains, but I couldn’t get the method to work right. (He was on an older version of Blender)

Attachments

Still day number two pictures :rolleyes:.

Just a question - which color scheme do you like more?

Happy, bright blue OR

Darker green. (I can use other colors too- and I’m probably going to find a good wallpaper texture to use in the final version.)

Tomorrow I think I’ll create dirt/spec maps because things look too “clean” right now.

As always, comments, criticisms, and critiques are appreciated! :slight_smile:

Attachments

This looks amazing! The green color scheme seems a bit better for me, however, it obiouvsly needs wallpaper texture. By the way - try to use normalmaps as much as possible, they can help improving detail, especially for reflections. For the curtains - you can make it have very basic lowpoly shape(or if you’re having problems with them, I’ll try modelling them) and apply cloth normalmap to it(normalmap with fabric fibers and wrinkles). That shouldn’t be that hard.
Nice work so far!:slight_smile:

Here is day number three so far.

I’m still going to do some work on it tonight though. I added a picture to the frame, textures for the rug/table/bookshelves/walls/fireplace. I also created bookshelves.

Attachments

Also, the photograph in the frame is just a placeholder. :wink:

Nice, really nice!:slight_smile:
The walls obiouvsly needs specular map…:wink:
Oh, and try to use as few materials as possible. That means that you should try to use texture atlas where possible(e.g. where object doesn’t have much tiles). You can make the floor moldings use the same material as, for example, bookshelves. That’s all for optimisation.
Other than that it’s really great now!:slight_smile:

Well, I’m snowed in, so I’m doing some more work on the room. I’m trying to give it a much more ‘cluttered’ feel. Here’s a screenshot of some miscellaneous junk.

All of the books and papers are atlased into a single material. I’m working on creating more atlases as well.

Attachments

Nice, this looks amazing! Keep up the work:)

A quick update, I did some more work on the room yesterday (no screenshots because I’m not on my computer). I created a mirror and two new types of tables. I’ll post some screenshots later.

Great!:slight_smile:
I have been sick last 2 days. I wanted to make first progress in game logic, but I couldn’t do anything.

We should now decide where do we best contact. We may need to share game files with each other aswell as talk about some small game details and special features(which shouldn’t be known yet by all the community and must be surprise). We need a place to talk only between team.

Which version would you prefer?

• skype group
  • hangouts group
  • else option

I’ll send you a message with my contact info. I have email, hangouts, and Steam. :slight_smile:

Hi,adrian,:slight_smile: …I have some ongoing projects in Godot engine but perhaps i will have some time on this game, so I’ll try to create some characters for ODH -creatures,the main character,textures,etc.
The main character should be done as soon as possible:)
I’ll be available at hangouts

Hi! That’s great. Looking forward to see some great models…:wink:

I decided to take a break from the first room and work on a connecting hallway instead. Here are some pics:

I couldn’t think of much clutter to put in a hallway, so I just put in several portraits of myself. Maybe later they could be paintings of previous owners of the mansion, and could be used in a puzzle or something? :wink:

Attachments

Cool, I like it. You should try to blend the volumetric light a bit more so that it doesn’t have those sharp edges. Also the wall at the end propably shouldn’t be wooden. Other than that it looks cool!:slight_smile:

I blocked out a ballroom. It still needs quite a bit of work. I need textures for the walls, to make chandeliers to hang from the ceiling, railings for the balconies, maybe add some windows, to create some tables… I’m thinking maybe it could seem like a party was going on when everybody suddenly had to leave. Also, with the fairly open and roomy area, it might be a good spot for some sort of boss battle or timed survival… just some ideas.

Attachments