Old Post Office

These are two kinds of stone, one is rough and one is bush-hammered.Nodes are still a bit messy

cycles stone material_264.blend (667 KB)

cycles stone2 material_264.blend (661 KB)

Very nice work so far on the modeling and textures. I love Italian architecture so I can’t wait to see the finished result.

Many problems and not enough time… Hello all, I’m here again. I’m in the final stage of my work but i was not able to update it into the thread. So now i will post the main steps.

Here are other procedural materials that I used.
Iron

Attachments

Roof material

To made the dirt of the building I have created a rough unwrap and then I painted it in 3d model.

Attachments

Just discovered this thread, everything about it looking so nice. I’ll look forward to watching and learning from your progress.

and here some renders…

This looks absolutely great! Are you gonna combine it with tracked video footage? (as in previous posts)

A very fine building indeed. Fantastic work!

FANTASTICOOOOO!!!
First picture is a “photo”!

You’re doing pretty well with your project. I think that the second render is nearer to reality. Not to argue, just sharing opinion. The building itself is pretty conservative, yet architectural era leaves enough detail in it so that brings passion to the eyes. Good choice, looking forvard to final render…

Blend on!

Sweet project You’ve got going here.

Thank you all for your comments.

Yes, I have combined it with footage. I had some problems with the tracking part, they were probably due to my inexperience and also because I have forgotten to disable the stabilization of the reflex camera (again!!!) and I did not have time to make a new one. Now I am making the final editing of the video.

I made a huge effort to create the smoke simulation. It needs a lot of pc power and storage. The biggest problem has been the control of the timing and the evolution of the physics simulation. To create the masks for objects like cars and signals I created 3d object with a transparent and shadeless material. The behaviour of this set-up changes according to the camera position. If the camera is inside the smoke domain is all right, if it is out of it, the “smoke-masks” don’t work anymore.
I use blender internal to render it.

Attachments

I just thought that I would chime in and say how awesome this project looks, and how great it is coming along. I cant wait to see your next composited clip.

Also, you made a comment on the last page about your English was not very good, just thought I would let you know that it is fine, understood what you were saying perfectly fine.

Great stuff.

I have a beautiful girlfriend :eyebrowlift:

The final compositing is made with node editor, I don’t know if it is a good solution, but in my case I didn’t find many problems.
To composite, I used combined, speed, and z passes for cycles render (building) and combined, speed, z and shadow passes for blender internal render (smoke).
Here there is the link for the video of vfx passes

The animation is ready, I opened a post in the final work section…

Great work on the building (and the video).