old, one-footed fantasy creature

Thanks Shaun. I’ve fixed most of the stated problems in this quick render. The lamp is still the same color though. It is to yellow for sunlight, but I think I like it that way. The forehead is still too bright due to the lamp being too close, but I’ll fix that. The underwear lack textures, I know, but they will barely be seen in the finished render, or the turntable animation. I’ll add fingernails too, as it’s significantly decreasing the realism of the hand. I want to do something to him to make him seem less human.

I’ve made an account on sheepit, but my browser locks up whenever I go to the “get started” section. I’m trying to fix that.

try these guys, fantastic service.

he is looking good, the nails are a good idea and with that one single foot he is never going to look human :evilgrin:

like the way you have got the spine looking on him.

keep going, you will get to the point where he is just fantastic.

shaun

Thanks Shaun. I didn’t think people would mistake him for a human, but I wanted to make it something more than a person with one leg. I wanted to give it more distinction. I’ll try your link. I’ve done something slightly different with the lighting, as the other didn’t show the shape very well. I’m also giving it a more fuzzy feel.

Now that I see him from profile, I realize he has a strange neck. It’s almost vertical while his spine is going down, so it doesn’t look like a comfortable position for him (even if he’s not human). Look at Gollum :

his neck is in the continuity of his spine. Yours is in the continuity of the chest (I mean not “yours” but… :D).

Also if you want to make him look less human, you can try making his eyes bigger. Again look at Gollum. But I’m not implying that you should make him look more like Gollum ! That’s just an example.

Here’s another example to get some ideas :

(original image)

Ideas from this image to make look less human :

• big lips
  • exaggerated hollows/creases on the chicks
  • pointy ears
  • another skin color (not necessarily green , it can even be subtle)
  • Nostrils way higher than the columella (I think that’s how it’s called)

http://www.lanosesurgery.com/wp-content/themes/lanosesurgery_com/images/inn-img-38.jpg

Or you can exagerate the chin, or give him a more expressive face, maybe even a crazy one.

Notice the more subtle change of skin color and the exaggerated chin. (I don’t like the teeth color though)

Horns ? curvy, straight or tiny, somewhere else than on the skull… He could be more like a faun.

There’s plenty of ideas but don’t be scared of trying even if your guy looks really nice. Maybe he could get freakin’ awesome ?

But for your whole image to be so, you will need better than a green gradient as a background.

As for Sheep-it, I’d still recommend it over what Speed 7 recommended you since Sheep-it is entirely free.
I had the same issue with firefox. It’s about allowing Java to… do its thing. I don’t remember exactly how I dealed with it but it was easy. Make sure you have the latest version of Java and follow the instructions, maybe look in your browser’s parameters. But anyway if you download the Sheep it Windows client instead of using the online client you don’t even have to bother with this issue. Tell me if you’re still struggling with this.

Thank you very much for the critique. The spine shouldn’t be too much work. I had actually thought about horns, but I had pictured little, stubby goat horns, which wouldn’t work with his hat. The horns you showed would work nicely. The ears are also vital. I’ll give them a less natural shape. He also does look crazy from the front. Here is a picture from the very early stages of this project:

I’ve finally found a solution to the Sheepit problem. I used Safari instead of firefox. I still haven’t installed it though. Here’s another picture. I haven’t done any of your suggestions before the render was started. the key light is too bright again. I’ll render it from more views from now on.

I’ve fixed up the face a bit. Next priorities are adding fingernails, adding horns, and making his cloak out of animal fur. The dirt also needs improving.

Here he is with his horns and fur cloak. Both still could use a lot of work.

Here are the improved horns:

The material looks good but I think there should be more streaks like in the image I showed you before or these photographs (the second one is more to see another cool shape).
Also the horns are too far behind. They should be almost on the forehead.
For the hat, maybe it could be cut where the horns are.

And here are 2 from Pan’s Labyrinth. I really like the shape and how it follows the forehead.
Notice his eyes are the same than those of a goat.
And that reminds me that I find your new pupils too big and your eyeballs too reflective.

Thank you for the critique. I’ve fixed the horns some for this render, but they’re still not done. I’ll also move them more forward, and add tufts of hair at the base. The arm hair has been bugging me for a while now, and I still haven’t gotten around to adding fingernails. I’ve also rotated the eyeballs.

How I would improve the horns :

• Make them thiner (for the moment they’re so big his hat would fall every time he jumps with his single foot)
  • less smooth, more hard edges
  • more streaks again
  • wrinkles on the skin at their base (like for Pan’s image)

If we observe carefully the previous images, the cut view would look about like this :

while yours would look like a triangle, it misses the hollow at the bottom

If you made the pupils bigger since I suggested to make the eyes bigger, that’s not what I meant. I was thinking about making the eyeballs bigger, and thus, the surrounding area as well. But that’s just an idea.

Thanks for the critique Caetano. I’d hollowed out the horns a little bit more for this render. Other than that, nothing had been changed. Making the pupils larger was not intentional. I think I switched image textures, and forgot to scale it down. I haven’t done anything to the skin where the horns connect to the head yet. I’m trying really big horns at the moment, but you’re right, I probably will have to shrink them down at the bases. I’ll also have to make them less smooth, and add more streaks, like you said.

I think its almost perfect with the changes you have made. I would like to see an animation for sure.
The wrist and toes seem kinda like a plastic doll that is hollow looking. some reason im seeing plastic. Since you did work on the arms and around the toes the plastic bulgy wrist and puffed toes just seem plasticly. Really good, Rodshakkervids

Thank you very much for the critique. I agree, the toes and wrist do look hollow when I look at them closely. I’ll see what I can do about that.

You could make the eyes less reflective and put back the left brow. It does nothing to express an emotion. Also maybe making the eyes smaller.

Here is an image of what I mean:

Creepy. But I agree, the expression is too neutral.

Thank you for the critiques, and you’re right, the expression is too neutral, but I’m not sure what expression to give him. Here’s last nights render, with more work on the horn bases:

I now am going to add some wrinkles at the bases, and add fingernails. I also need to fix his expression, add more horn-streaks, fix the bases of the mushrooms, and fix the pupils. The horn material also needs some work.

I got an idea : what if he was holding a mushroom, checking cautiously if it’s edible. That would give an expression to his face, a reason for the mushrooms basket to be there and more interest to the image.
The mushroom would need to look like it was just picked (roots and soil on it) so that we would understand he’s checking if he can add it in his basket.