Old Guy

when i see this picture i tought that was a real photo.
But now I have see that it isnt a real…

5 stars… Good work

You are simple fucken amazing!

I’m sure you’ve already heard from other people, that this is amazing.
I didn’t think blender was capable of this haha. It may be because I’m crap at it.

The art presented is very good. I am not capable of such things (due to lack of time and lack of talent!). That said, there are a couple of points that I prevent it from the “best of best” awards :slight_smile:

Firstly, the hair seems a little coarse for how thin it is laid out on the head. The face is so well done I didn’t notice it at first, but if you scan up from the wrinkled forehead - the hair seems a little “doll-like” given the details you’ve put into the guys facial features.

The clothes have been remarked on before, and are again only noticeable when you draw your eyes away from the face. They seem a little “clean” in terms of texture and (lack of) wrinkles compared to the detail elsewhere.

Honestly, were it not for how cool the rest of the piece is; I wouldn’t have even mentioned the above. It just seems that the effort and talent put into the face didn’t make it into the final “finishing touches” of the image.

For those people claiming that Blender is capable of the detail Maqs has put into this piece of art - I think you are either unfamiliar with ZBrush and/or are deluding yourselves.

At a very basic level - ZBrush is capable of ten to fifteen times as many polygons for detail purposes as Blender. This is simply in terms of memory requirements before the application crashes. In terms of how responsive the application is at high polygon levels - comparing the two is like comparing the capabilities of an ant to an amoeba.

At a user-friendliness level, Blender is nowhere near ZBrush in terms of just the sculpting for detail (i.e. ignoring the UI issues that Blender is frequently criticised for). In ZBrush, if I want to (say) sculpt the area around the eyes - I go to the lowest (i.e. base) mesh, select the polygons for the eyes and some small area around it, then move up the resolution levels until I have enough polygons to sculpt the detail I want. That is, only the polygons made from subdividing the base mesh selected polygons are shown at higher subdiv levels. In Blender, this is not possible because whenever you move up/down the multires levels - all the polygons are shown regardless of what was hidden prior to the level switch. This is just one of the things ZBrush has over Blender in terms of detail sculpting. Trust me, I am attempting to put together a project using only Blender when I know it would be more efficient & easier in another (non-opensource) package. Sculpting detail (as opposed to forms) is one of those things I really wish I wasn’t so determined to get the project done using non-commercial applications.

holy shit! NICE! this must hav tooken DAYS to render though correct?

Wow, very realistic. Makes me fell sorry for the old guy. Reminds me of my Grandpa. Same old bruised skin and that stubble that just never seems to be able to be shaved away…

That aside, what was your inspiration for creating this Maqs?

Imagine if they had enough processing power to render a movie at this quality.

Excellent work. Like padfoot7726, I too find the composition a bit off. To me it looks like he’s falling forward. I think if you rendered it from a POV at his eye level, at least to me it would be more appealing as an image.

The detail, the hair, and his skin are amazing. I don’t find the lack of ear hair at all a problem, I know many “old guys” who don’t have sprouting tufts from their ears.

Kudos. Great job.

No doubt about it, very nice work.

Do you work for a company !

No, not yet, I had some nice offers from companies from Poland, but currently I live in UK so I was forced to refuse, but maybe I find something soon.

I’m really glad You guys like this work! Thank You for all comments.

3x amazing, but I hope in the future you will do a subject that will express joy, happiness
This old man, although is very awesome and realistic, is sad :frowning: .

holy s***!!! Awesome dude!!!

7 stars!!!

It seems that the old is going wrong!

Amazing!

really nice work i lov the detail in the right eye the only thing i could say about it is the left eye lid looks very well odd to im not sure what it is but it just sticks out but other than that really great must have taken so long i hope you get pick up for a nice job in design by some one, your stlye is much like Epic games i think

that is the most beautiful old person i have ever seen. the detail is incredible and the skin has that lifeless opacity to it. and the expression on his face along with the neutrality of color really adds to the dismay. Love it.

I’ve re-written this post a few times…and keep getting bogged down with expletives. All I really wanted to say was WOW!!!

Fantastic :slight_smile:

Incredibly lifelike and wonderfully textured! Love the small reflected lights in the eyes. Age spots are smoothly blended in. From an artist’s point of view, the face is awesome! Don’t like the white shirt, however. Is it too white, no shadows, distracts from the face? Just doesn’t look real so it is glaring next to the sensitive and incredible portrait.

Looking forward to more of your excellent work!

I am in awe of this superb example of the level of digital 3D realism which you’ve proven possible. I’ve not seen detail this realistic in other human models that I’ve observed and studied.

Any advice about techniques which you employ to achieve this amount of realism is welcome and worth noting. Thanks for sharing.