NVIDIA GTX 970 False Advertising (UPDATE: NVIDIA settles class action lawsuit)

Thanks for the report, angus. If anybody else wants to try and do a proper test: Use a tool such as GPU-Z and push your scene towards 4GB incrementally by adding geometry; measure render times. Look for a big performance drop.

Maybe this isn’t a properly done test, but you should still be grateful, because it’s better than anything the BA community has been able to produce so far (which is nothing). This info is good enough as it is, we don’t need any more “proof”, we need someone else to try and reproduce it. If it can’t be reproduced, then you can seriously doubt these results.

You cant directly compare Cuda core count between 2 different architectures (760 is Kepler 970 is Maxwell).

You can still compare relative render time.

The GTX Titan GTX 780 GTX 780 TI GTX Titan black GTX Titan Z Quadro k6000 Tesla K20 Tesla K20X Tesla K40 all use the same GK110 GPU gimped by nvidia in different ways to sell each one at a different price… If that doesnt make you mad IDK why this little memory problem would.

They sell each one at a different price, with different specs, but in those cases, the specs are correct. You wouldn’t mind if your GPU suddenly drops significantly in performance when you approach 3.5GB, as opposed to the advertised 4GB? Even if it wasn’t a big deal in terms of performance, it’s simply false advertising, which is unacceptable. The performance difference between a 780 and a 780Ti isn’t really a big deal, either. But the 780Ti still costs more more money. If you don’t get why this is a serious problem, you’re either a sucker or a hopeless fanboy.

Yes I also agree its a problem but its something I would expect from nvidia (The whole GK110 for every GPU is when i started to lose my patience with Nvidia) … It may be slower but it does have 4GB so they didnt lie on that part but yes it has less rops and less cache than advertised.

I am definitely not a fan boy im just upset with every tech company there is and eventually just stoped caring because they will screw us with anything they do… If they sell 25 K6000 they can pay 1 employee 100,000 dollars a year (More than likely to people who didnt even help develop the card). They aren’t innovating they are raking in money and AMD is just pumping more power in to their cards to keep up with Nvidia.

The thing people dont keep in min is the memory that cycles reports to you isnt the actual amount that your GPU is currently using. You should definitely monitor it like you said because if you use windows your always using at least 100 and the overhead of the driver interpreting cycles also uses more memory as sergey said in one of my bug reports. So what he is claiming is cycles said it was using over 3.5 GB when you were more than likely using more than 3.5 GB the entire time.

I would do tests but my computer doesnt have enough system RAM to get 4 GB of geo over to my GPUs ill see if I can try with textures

And yes I am deffo a sucker just like anyone else here who bought compute hardware ever.

http://theorysend.com/uploads/dbd0f2023c9cb8bd60e8741ad67f6d4ff920a624
I think i might have hit a texture limit… xD Anyway still wasnt enough to max out the GPU :expressionless:

Just to be clear this is a GPU problem not related to the 970s memory problem.

Here it is on CPU (No clue why 1 texture is missing) BTW the ones you see multiple times arent the same image they have small changes

http://theorysend.com/uploads/cc314359b03b0ceb3c49f17b4c0ac89e09d51a28

I finally got the 970 to go over 3.5 so heres what I got

Test 1 Cycles reports 2134.69MB GPU reports 3401MB Render time 31.21 seconds guestimated time to move images to GPU 3.5 seconds 22 images

Test 2 Cycles reports 2425.04MB GPU reports 3697MB Render time 33.13 seconds guestimated time to move images to GPU 4
seconds 25 images

Test 3 Cycles reports 2521.94MB GPU reports 3790MB Render time 51.13 seconds guestimated time to move images to GPU 4.3 seconds 26 images

Test 4 Cycles reports 99.44MB GPU reports 1378MB Render time 27.59 seconds guestimated time to move images to GPU 1
second 1 image

GPU-Z Says idle memory usage is 418MB. It never goes under 418MB. But still GPU uses much much more than Cycles ever reports.

I made them render the same scene (A flat diffuse plane) so that render times wont be effected by removing images from the scene.

1 Image renders at 27 seconds
22 Images render at 31 seconds
25 Images render at 33 seconds
26 Images render at 51 seconds

Its the same image used over and over with a different name so cycles wont use the same image in memory.

Here is the setup I cant share the images because its a few hundred MB lol

http://theorysend.com/view/455d9fcb7dc0df18d2cb882ba9bdb4ea11b69ae0

Here it is in spreadsheet form

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1sKZwG5AFGSKjKUq8m7iW8UaffyZeiQG8OkSiF4g6Fvg/pubhtml

Now all we need is someone to test this on a 980 or the 760 we were talking about before (except they dont have my images xD)

Well there you go, you pushed memory usage beyond 3.5GB and got drastically worse render time, supporting what angus has found.

Thanks for testing.

Update: One thing to keep in mind: The memory usage reported by GPU-Z may be the real usage, but that doesn’t mean that data can’t be shuffled around if necessary, just like in games between draw calls. The data used in a Cycles scene during a Cycles pass can (to my understanding) not.

What should be tested now is whether the same effect happens when getting close to the memory limit on unaffected GPUs.

25 Images render at 33 seconds 3697MB
26 Images render at 51 seconds 3790MB

Both of those were over 3.5 GB the 26 Images was just farther over. This could deffo be a cycles thing (But probably not)

I’ve done some preliminary testing on a 780/3GB with a similar scene and I do find a significant degradation at the very edge of 3GB, but not before.

Right, but not all of that memory is in use by Cycles. If some other less important data ends up in the slow segment, that doesn’t have to slow down the render.

finally some hands on insight of this issue.
thank you all for doing the tests and sharing this!

It is not so important ,the fact that they lied is bad , but still the GPU is even with only 3.5 + 0.5 GB VRAM still an excellent GPU. Unless Blender takes all 4 GB the Nvidia Driver should make the slow segment unused. Some programm even see the GPU as only having 3.5GB

I am right now looking into giving back the 970 and getting the 980 instead.

So I just gave Chocofurs Scandinavian Interior Scene a test and dang out of Memory … even with 4GB already?

Don’t forget this guys:

BTW, I do own a EVGA GTX 970 superclocked with 4 GB. I haven’t really used it much for cycles, so I don’t know how great it performs, but I did notice high-pitched coil whine when using GPU acceleration on a HitFilm plugin (fire) in Sony Vegas.

I own a EVGA GTX 970 too ;), very happy…not yet a big scene in cycles, but I can play Assasin’s creed a ultra quality yeeeee!!!

ok,
I just have a few days with the video card, but testing Thea Render demo 1.5, presto engine, using GPU + CPU, oh my lord!!! light fast!!!

I think Thea render will be my next purchase software…if I can render character animations…testing testing

Bumping this thread to announce NVIDIA’s class action lawsuit settlement.

Some of you GTX970 owners may be entitled to a cool 30$ per device!

And the laywers doing the wrangling are entitled to 1.3 million!

^Great!
All while ‘clients’ were having fun :wink:
or would you rather see just a bit different packaging.

Yeah, dude, and grass is green, water’s wet, and women are attractive.

Still 30$ is 30$ and is buys claim it it can accumulate. I bought few of the 970s.