Next Car Game by Bugbear Entertainment

Thanks for sharing!

Too bad it won’t run on my xbox 360… I’m still playing flat out 2 on that!

Thanks for having a look macouno!

It’s actually not decided yet if we’ll do a current gen version. We’ll just have to wait and see how the situation develops.

Hey Ben,

No matter… in this case I decided to get the PC version, though mostly just to support you guys!

Too bad I don’t have the sort of cash to get in and try my hand at some texturing… would have loved to contribute :wink:

Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the support macouno! Stop by our forums if you have any questions or are interested in the development otherwise. :slight_smile:

http://community.bugbeargames.com/index.php

NCG is gonna be awesome! Pre-ordered twice already, one for me, one for a friend :wink:

But can you tell about your personal content pipeline? Do you use an existing export script (like OBJ or FBX) to export your work to ROMU? Or is it something custom? Does ROMU need to convert it into its own format, and if so, what kind of optimization is there? (like BVH, but i guess that’s only relevant for maps, not cars and other prop models).

I’m asking 'cause there’s a potential modding community, and if there was an official Blender -> NCG pipeline, that would surely rock!
Janne Suur-Näkki @ Bugbear said:

We’ll get back on the topic of modding later when we are ready to share more specific information with you, but make no mistake about, we are serious about supporting it.

So hoping for the best :slight_smile:

In contrast with BeamNG, NextCarGame has more destruction but not as much deformation. These guys should team up!!

Thanks for supporting us!

Well I have an extra step compared to the guys using just 3ds Max. I export my models as OBJ and import them to 3ds Max. I set up the materials and after that use our inhouse exporter to get it in game.

Unfortunately since I’m the only one using Blender no one’s bothered to create an exporter for Blender. :stuck_out_tongue:

I see, so your in-house converter Max -> Game does all the fancy stuff. Well, if we are really going to get modding support, I would love to write a blender exporter :slight_smile: Need some format specs of course, is there a chance to get any info on it soon?

Sounds great man! I doubt anything on modding is coming up anytime soon unfortunately. I’ll let you know when I know if you’re interested.

I’m eagerly waiting for it :slight_smile:

Thanks Ben_Lind!

We’re now on kickstarter! Feel free to support us. :slight_smile:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1470493497/next-car-game-a-motorsport-with-attitude

Just 30 days for over 300 THOUSAND dollars? Is that realistic?

tough yeah, but if you chose a too long funding period, the excitement isn’t as large. Thumbs up for the campaign!

Yeah the goal is pretty high but we can probably do it if we get the ball rolling. I’m still hopeful. :slight_smile:

New gameplay video!

Looks quite good, lighting and grass is really good.

Some crits

• Collision with opponent looks a bit funny, you touch them and parts literally explode off like you put a grenade in their car or they are made of aluminium-foil, I think that safety glass does not explode like that
  • your own bonnet looks spotless after crashing 10 cars.
  • Impact forces with other vehicle appear a bit missing

I think you should promote a bit more a multiplayer aspect of the game. Online destruction derby racing would be quite interesting. Whereas these days players can figure out AI patterns and weaknesses very easily and get bored, however multiplayer ‘team’ vs AI would be carnage.

Also perhaps look at some more game modes. An old game called Project Torque had a capture-the-flag mode which was tons of fun and something different from just racing around a circuit, sufficient impact with the flag holder would steal the flag. Actually Project Torque had a bunch of modes you might like to look at to get more interest.
https://vimeo.com/3897722

A king-of-the-hill mode could also be quite entertaining

Thanks for the critique, appreciate it!

Yes the deform is set to very sensitive in the video to show it better. I agree it’s a bit over the top though.

The player car being indestructible is deliberate as well since our deform is still a bit unpredictable so it blocked the view at times and had other small issues. The player car won’t of course be indestructible in the final game.

I agree about the impact forces though. Everything does seem a bit light and not as physical as it could be.
Edit: Our tech artist just told me the masses of the cars were also tuned lighter for the video so the guy playing wouldn’t be shoved by the AI that much.

Good point about the multiplayer. We have tested multiplayer but we haven’t really advertised it almost at all.

Other game modes could definitely be fun. Will keep that in mind.

Thanks a lot for your feedback!

Perhaps you could add some sort of repulsive force that only affects the parts that can get in front of the front view and is only active when those parts are being deformed, to keep them from getting in the way?

Or how about just making the driver lean out the window if stuff start covering too much of the front window view? (obviously making the driver jump back inside whenever it is in danger of being hit or crushed)

I would make the bonnet fall off if it was in the way :smiley: