New short film 'Whole' released

Wow William, congratulations on executing a wonderful concept so well! I loved the character style and their animation was a complement to their characters.

Sad about the DOF noise, otherwise it was amazingly clean. I couldn’t believe that it was all Cycles.

Can I ask how much of the green grass land was mesh and how much was awesome texturing? It looked like you had made a small set to shoot on!

P.S. did you know that your blog link is dead?

Thanks for the kind words.

Here’s a link to the stereoscopic version. It works using YouTube’s stereoscopic system. You should be able to pick between analglyph/side-by-side and other 3D systems. You’ll need either a 3D projection system or 3D TV, or anaglyph (red/cyan or other) glasses to view.

Had a chance to watch this on a bigscreen 3D TV just now. Wow. Love the way the stereo kicks in once she leaps into the hole too, very Wizard of Oz. :slight_smile:

The movie is so much better in stereo, and the 3D is very nicely done.

Loved the movie.

How much time it took?

It took about a year from concept to completion. Six months production, sometimes with a handful of people, other times just me.

There are some photos from the production here: http://www.billrey.net/#/whole/

Magnificent!

Just a question, what is the little flat thing supposed to represent?

It just represents what she’s not looking for, if that make sense :slight_smile:

Wow that is a lot of time.

I have few questions,

1. Why you created set models instead of modelling everything inside Blender? I can understand the texture mapping and the scale issue for which you 3D printed the characters but it could have been faster if you had modelled the buildings and rooms in blender? Any particular reason?

2. I was planning to buy another workstation as a render farm but on your site I got the link for https://render.st.

I believe this will be much cheaper though I am not sure how many hours are spent on the total rendering…

Have you used the render farm for only the final post production rendering or you were using it even for mid level test rendering (during the production stage)?

3. I am also confused about the way they charge for rendering, they charge a monthly fee and also an hourly server fee?

I have joined Blender only for making short movies and promos for advertising. Maybe we can work together as a team in future.

regards

Sunny

A couple of reasons. One was to play with lights and camera placement in real space. This is a different proces than nagivating in a virtual scene, and was fun to do with the photographer.

Second, it gives nice GI and textures for free! :slight_smile:

We used it mostly for the final renders, but inevitably you always get render errors or mistakes that requires re-rendering. Render.st is a great service.

I think they have a calculator online to help calculate costs ahead of time. But even so, it can be hard to predict precisely, esp if you find a mistake in the render and need to redo a shot.

Thanks William

That helps.

Brilliant. That was extraordinaire’ Bravo.

short films have a whole industry of their own. occasionally they get released but usually they are just done as part of a directors or producers portfolio. You can do a lot with a short film that you cant do with a feature film, because there’s a shorter amount of time to develop the character and create a conflict and resolution.

wonderful peace of art! congrats! :slight_smile:

but I must say that I’ve got very disappointed by not seeing Blender on the credits. Why do not credit Blender? You get an amazing free software from a dedicated developers community, a tool that was fundamental for your work to happen, and you get in out of the generosity of a code bought by the community to be made on GPL, but in the end, no credits at all? I really don’t understand.

Fabs: Blender is clearly credited in the credits sequence, as is the Cycles render engine. Perhaps you missed it :slight_smile:

Yes I did, sorry, the credits passes too fast. :frowning:
I see a lot of animation that uses Blender and doesn’t credit it, but fortunatelly that’s not your case. Thanks! :slight_smile: