Nathan's Animations

WIP 02
Finished the lip sync animation and added in a bit of facial and head movement!

Edited the facial animation and added in some body movement! I also added in markers falling on the ground at the end :smiley:

Finished my final animation entry for 11SecondClub :smiley:

Onto my next animation :smiley:
An exercise on pulling a heavy object!
Enjoy :slight_smile:
This is half-done! I’ve still got a few things to finish off.

Looking good. I think that some movement in his upper back and shoulders would help sell the weight of that object.

After 1 hour here is my lip sync!
If you have any critique please tell me http://www.11secondclub.com/forum/img/smilies/smile.png

I think the lifting heavy objects exercise is lacking weight. By this, I mean it doesn’t really look like the character is trying to lift something heavy. Initially, @ about 2 seconds the head turns like this is the first attempt at lifting, yet I don’t see much movement from the body, so I can’t tell if this is a first attempt or just the character looking off to it’s right. Then I see the character reposition himself and get set for another try. This part lacks weight too, looks like he’s trying to life something that weighs 5 pounds, there’s not much struggle.

Think about how you would stand to life 5 pounds: probably about the same as just standing still, it’s only 5 pounds. Think about how you’d stand to lift 200 pounds, probably squat down and try to life the weight with your legs. Also think about how if you tried to lift something that you can’t, when you curl your arms to lift it and can’t, curling your arms would pull your body towards the object. I think more body movement towards the object would help. Been meaning to try this exercise…

As to your 11 second club animation, the basic lip sync looks fine. About a year ago, animation was kind of a hot topic in the ‘blender discussions’ section and I decided to enter the 11 second club. Lots of people commented on my wip thread, giving lots of good advice which I keep in mind now when doing an animation. If you get a chance, you can read it here: http://www.blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?256810-WIP-June-11-Second-Club-Animation-FINISHED&highlight=

Good luck,
Randy

I will definitely look into that! probably shoot some footage of myself lifting up a heavy weight :slight_smile:
Thanks for the link. I’ll read it right now!

I decided to change the rigs to the Flex rig to better suit the voice!
I think I’m gonna change the green “alien” to a different character :slight_smile:

Hey Nathan,

Welcome to the world of animation :]

I was about to make a remark about your workflow, but you did correct it in your last animation (when you started using the man character) and that’s a good thing, so good job.

In a nutshell, you do not want to start working your shot by the lips (well, if it was an exercise, it’s ok though).
The lipsync has to be the final part, you could have the most accurate and beautiful lipsync animation, if the body animation doesn’t work (beauty of the postures, rightness in weight and balance, real meaning), the result won’t work neither.

About your first attempts in lypsinc, note that when we speak, our mouths don’t explicitely “draw” all the sounds they produce. Of course, there are the strong phonems that can’t be unseen (A, f, mbp, for some example), those one you cannot (must not) skip them, some other sounds can be considered as transitional, and should not be drawn, otherwise you’ll finish with a robotic result.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks for the helpful tips MrPingouin!
I had a think last night about the scene I’m making and it just didn’t feel right to me!
This one is making more sense :slight_smile:
Enjoy

I will definitely zoom in the camera a bit so that you can see the camera more clearly!
Critiques are most welcome :smiley:

Not really sure what the intention is here on this latest one. I’m not getting the ‘story’ behind this. I’m asking myself, why is a golfer saying this? The second one, the man & the alien, that makes sense as you have one interrogating the other, which is kinda what I think of when I hear the audio.

I’m thinking you picked up on the tip of doing the lip sync last from the link I posted. What I learned from that was - do the lip sync last, and tell the story with body language first. Speaking of lip sync, how do you do yours?

Another thing I am learning about animation is watching other’s animations and seeing things that appears off, or doesn’t make sense, kind of helps you learn how to spot things that are off in your own work. If you can see where someone makes a mistake, then you might see the same sort of mistake in your own work, but never noticed it before because you’ve watched and watched your own work so many times…

Randy

Yes I would also like to know about the lip sink. It looks good in the first video.

I’m gonna try doing something different for the next few weeks! Lyric Videos in Blender. Here’s what I have so far for “Treasure” by Bruno Mars. My favorite song :slight_smile:

I like the energy of that! Maybe needs some colours, but timing is really good

last animation is really good. Ive always been curios on how people make texts pop out of nothing. Is it quickly scaling them up or something else?

@My3D I’m gonna be doing the materials once I’ve finished the animation! Thanks :slight_smile:
@TheNewGuy The way I did it was going to for eg. the 4th frame and inserting a keyframe with the text scaled up to the size I want and then going to the 1st frame and scaling it down to 0. Thanks!

Here is another preview!

Entered the 11SecondClub June Challenge! Enjoy :slight_smile:

Hey man! Liking your stuff! But are you finishing your projects?

I dug your lyric video. I may bug you in the future about that.

I like the animation with Picard’s voice. Crush in the Arcade was nice too.