Motorcycle rigging

Good news, everyone! Oh… No, I haven’t finished my rig yet. But… I’ve uploaded the model to Sketchfab (if some of you, guys, is interested what I’m trying to rig).
Here it is:

1 Like

Hello again. I’ve almost finish the rig (it only needs some final checks and polishing).

Pretty intimidating, ha? Now I want to make a UI for it, and I’m going to need some Python help, cause I’m not very good at Python (oohh… c’mon… who am I lying to? I’m not good at all… yet!).
So… Bear with me. Next I’ll try to formulate what I’m going to make, and will ask concrete questions.

Here’s a quick sketch of what I will try to do:

Alright, I started coding the rig UI…
Here is what I’ve managed to create by myself:

But now I need some help.
I guess all those buttons are created by means of UILayout class. Am I right?
For now I understand (more or less) how to use UILayout.prop and mighty UILayout.label items.
But how do I make a toggle (as on the sketch above)? For example, I have this “Follow Path” constraint on the Main Control bone.

Maybe, I could somehow turn the “Influence” slider into a custom BoolProperty and use prop(‘custom_property’, toggle=True)?

Someone? Anyone?
Ah… Whatever… I’ve finished the rig. The UI turned out to be a little ugly (I don’t have enough knowledge neither of Python itself nor of Blender API), but look… I have those pretty widgets. So I’m quite satisfied with what came out in the end.

Sorry I could not help with the python stuff. I am not good enough myself to give advice. I usually just copy/paste and modify the rig.ui.py script that gets generated with a rigify rig. I am used to that layout so I try to make all of my rigs work in the same way.

I’m not sure about the toggle. I have never made one. Most of the custom properties I’ve made are sliders for shapekeys or other constraint influences.

You might want to ask this in the Python Support section.

Everything looks great.

Nice job!

Don’t worry at all :). I decided to postpone my Python learning a little, anyway. There’s just too much at the same time, so my brain is going to explode. I’m going to concentrate on an artistic part for now (I have to finish that f… motorcycle :ba:).

Hey, guys! I need a piece of advice.
I’m trying to make a little demo video for the rig, and I want to use the song “Bad to the Bone” by George Thorogood. How do I do that legally, in order to my video won’t be blocked (on YouTube or Vimeo) due to copyright infringement?

I know your finished with your Rigg and all but I’ve been quite busy the past couple of months with work projects…

Not sure if you solved your spring ‘squish’ issue…

This Rigg has been the best solution I’ve seen for that…

plus on the issue of wires and tubes…
not sure if your using just splines curves and a bevel curve for that… but IMHO that’s the way to go with that kind of thing…
it also makes quick work with animating them also…
here’s a video on building and using these things…

Interesting videos.
The springs are actual meshes (see the 1st page for the reason ‘why’, there’s an image) and I didn’t solve their issue, but it’s barely noticeable, so I left it as is.
And wires are also actual meshes (actually, the whole model consists of meshes, except for the belt - it is made with an Array modifier, and bolts - they are instances). I used Action constraints for the wires, and it seems to work.
I probably won’t redo anything already, but anyway thank you, norvman.

The springs are actual meshes (see the 1st page for the reason ‘why’, there’s an image) and I didn’t solve their issue, but it’s barely noticeable, so I left it as is.

Yes I saw your post #17 that’s why I made the suggestions above…

also from your post #1

cables and hoses should bend and stretch

but I can understand if you not wanting to remodel…

However again IMHO… because Blender makes use of the curve tools in such an accessible way… you may find the use of them much quicker, faster, easier to handle for some things…
Not everything of coarse…
If It were me building this model… and it’s not…
But if it were me…
All wires, cables, fuel lines, hoses and metal springs… would be curves…
all else would be polygons…
It’s an extremely simple thing to turn curve models into polys in blender after you’ve constructed them…
Say if you have to export the model out to some other file format…

But again… my suggestions are late comming to the party…
so no point in redoing anything…

just FYFI (For Your Future Information)…

Great model by the way…!

also I have some ‘tank track tutorials’ on my vimeo site that might help doing chains for your rigs in the future…

norvman
Actually I finished the model (the model itself without UVs, textures, etc.) quite long time ago. And I don’t remember, whether or not I knew at the time about such using of curves, Skrew modifiers and that kind of stuff. And I did want the model to be easy exported to other software, cause I started this project in MODO in fact (in Windows at the time), then I switched to Linux and Blender, and I wasn’t sure I stay there long (but I did :evilgrin:). So the model organisation-wise is a little messy, and I don’t really want to sort it out.

So the model organisation-wise is a little messy, and I don’t really want to sort it out.

I can’t count the number of models I have from Lightwave, Maya, XSI, and old versions of Max…
So I Hear what you are saying and fully understand…

Also… Never assume I’m ‘demanding’ your compliance (you might have to assume that about others… but not me) …
at most I suggest…
All Men are not just Created Equal…
Equal they forever remain… IMHO…

The best of us lead busy lives…
I think we should all understand that most come here to get answers to pressing questions that are on a time schedule…
like I mentioned earlier…
I realize my comments come to you late in the thread…
so just file them for your future use…
and I certainly will not be offended as some are…

I don’t. I think we’re just having a conversation, and I’m just explaining my point, which is (considering my English) still quite a challenge for me (but I’m glad to have practice:yes:).

I don’t. I think we’re just having a conversation, and I’m just explaining my point, which is (considering my English) still quite a challenge for me (but I’m glad to have practice:yes:).

Well I can tell you your English is better than mine… I’m from Texas…

and yah… I’m just making sure I was not being ‘pushy’ about any information I was relaying to you…

Thank you. But I think we’re getting off-topic now…

Hello again, my dear friends!
I came up with this simple rig demo video.
Enjoy. Share. Like.

1 Like

Very impressive, Timo! I think you have thought of everything for this rig.

1 Like

Thanks! I tried to ‘rig’ every part that should be functional, but certainly there is a lot of room for improvement (I’ve even noticed one little fault, while watching my video again).

I’ve redesigned the rig’s UI a little (quite much, actually), and maybe I will change it even more soon.

xr1200x_rigUI_redesign.jpe (62 KB)