Mossy rock

Great work!
Successfully representing wet and damp subjects in CG always adds to the impression of ‘production value’.
What hdri are you using in the bg? Is it self shot or available on the web?

While this still is finished - a project isnt finished yet and there is still a lot to do. I’m still working on animation, tracking of this shot, and after - there is another shot (of the same project). So first of all - i’ll finish this project and then think about any tutorials (if at all - i’ve never done them before). But i’ll do some sort of making-of definitely.

@hansen before doing DOF in cycles i tried doing it in post (more control) but didn’t liked the quality. By the way, i really like how blender evolves. Had used some compositing here and i was happy to find that blender already had very good compositing module and its future is looking extremely bright. I’m one of those who chose to render bunch of passes and do it in post, than struggle with renderer.

Compositing used:

As for moss color. I’ve used picture i’ve taken while hiking, and took main color pattern from it and painted some color variations from brown to green.

For HDRI i’ve used one called “path” from here. Had to slightly modify it. By the way - nice hdri-s!!!

I’ve already uploaded it in my CGtalk portfolio here. Feel free to comment and criticize.

Great work!

Would you mind posting a wireframe & unrendered mesh closeup of this one?

Regards

Don’t mind at all. Here:
No color corrections, viewport rendering

There are certainly some things that could improve, but the moss is just fantastic. I also love the closeups of the leaves, so what I would do is render a very large, high-quality image and maybe turn down the DoF, as the current image is too small and blurry to see much of the yummy goodness.

the leaves and the moss are totally spot on…

Really good work, especially moss. Would be cool if you could place this rock in blendswap as ready to use hair preset. Or sell it on Blendermarket. Presets for hair and particles overall would be a nice addition to blender, because always making everything from scratch just takes too much time…

Excellent image but 2 things caught my attention immediately:

• visible seam
  • gorilla’s face (can’t believe nobody else saw it!)

Attachments

Thanx for a coment, but:

• it’s not a seam
  • you got me! Right after watching second Planet of the Apes, i grabbed gorilla pic as a brush and painted all over the rock :evilgrin:

Here is 4K render link.

Render time 15 min on GPU ? what is your GPU ? xD 4k res 15 min too ? xD

OMG! The moss in High res is just…mama, I want to cry…

Very Nice Friend…Please Take a tutorial about it…Tanks Brother.

I just wanted to thank everyone for the feedback. It was really useful. In this example changing a DOF made huge difference in realism. And of course thanks to developers for this great software. (can’t wait for updates in compositor :spin:)

Definitely will do some making-offs and tutorials as soon as i’ll finish this shot’s animation and have some free time.

P.S. Finally happy with everything, both rock and moss…:cool:

Most people wouldn’t think anything more than adding a few textures and maybe a basic particle system, but you sir have done a fine job. I never thought I would compliment someone for his rock, but here I am. Excellent work and progress. Would love to see more!

WOW, i LOVE IT! It looks soo realistic…I like a little bit grainy too :slight_smile:

really cool my freind this is perfect !!

I don’t know why I didn’t comment earlier, probably just getting over the amazement now.
I love seeing works like these, and yours is no exception. I also love how you are willing to share information on how you made it.
Thanks! 5*

very cool the combination with alpha channel and the big quantity of details have this work!

The leaves are the best, good work!

Very nice!