Mossy rock

This is insane!! Aside from a few floating droplets, I cannot believe this is CG!!!

EDIT: Referring to the first close up shot.

Great work!

Great job! You did awesome on this project!

Really excellent work. The water on the leafs and the moss is really well done. I can help thinking that my eyes are wanting to grab more detail. Can you do a 4K render?

I LOVE the moss. The colors in there look amazingly realistic. Of course great particle work too, but not everyone who makes detailed particles remembers to add convincing color variation. You nailed it!

Stunning!
would love to see a little animal on it (snail, frog, whatever…)

That’s impressive ! Awesome details !

Good remark on floating droplets. That pic was actually a test, and later i wanted to make a single hair particle with droplet on its top and use it for instancing but suddenly i felt “urgent need” to play planetside for hour or two (eventually spent all night playing and had red eyes in the morning) :evilgrin:

Will try doing 4K render tonight.

Color variation here is done in color texture, which, i think, is a key to realistic moss (and many other hair/fur effects). Had many iterations painting and repainting it. BTW new blender addon for texture painting (zero brush, i think) is great. I hadn’t use it for this project but the demo is just great!

Maybe i’ll try with the frog from blendswap. Definitely have no time doing it from scratch. Have a few overlapping projects…

thanks for the comments guys.

early wip’s

Really stunning, such a detail !
This inspires me a lot to improve myself ! :slight_smile:

As a nature lover I would say this is really impressive and well done. Congrats:) I do have one thought however, the scale of things seems a bit off once the boot and leg is thrown in there. If you scaled the boot and leg up 1.5 times making the boot bigger I think you would have achieved full realism:) For me the scale of the moss, dew drops and other vegetation looks as if it should be much smaller in comparison to the boot image. To throw some math at this if the boot is roughly 12" long I think the rock should be no more that 18" wide. Right now it appears to be 24" to 30" wide in terms of the point of view. Hope this makes sense, for me scale is what kills 99% of attempts at realism. Your close up shots without the boot are my favorites and IMO the most realistic looking:) Keep going man I’d like to see some new stuff from you in the near future.

Derek, thanks. Your point is really constructive. I did have some thoughts on scale issue, but mostly because of dof. I think dof could be little less, especially considering boot size. Moss, while it could be that its a bit off the scale, having traveled a lot, i have seen a lot of moss, wet and dry, and in scale it could be quite in a various sizes. And droplets - yes, it can be said that they’re lil too big, that’s right, but i wanted them to be visible enough, so it’s like a lil bit of sacrifice of realism for beauty.

I think fixing a bit dof will do the job. And as this is a still from a bit bigger project which involves live action with CGI (background and foot with cgi rocks and moss in this particular shot), in final Dof will be more towards the correct one. By the way just tried tracking the rock’s motion (it’s rotating a bit when foot is stepping on) and it went very well. While i’m not new to tracking, both camera and object, doing it in blender definitely wasn’t a hardest, while quality was very good.

WOW! this looks Great! Yes. I understand -About the grainy pictures. I think sometimes grainy pictures can even give a picture a more realistic look.

Some .blend link ?

ps: we like it !!!

I am very impressed with the moss and dewdrops. Quick question how did you get the texture of the moss. I have been using Blender for only a few months and I have animation pretty much down but I have struggling with textures and actual depth of textures.

Wuaoooooo!!! outstanding job!!! love it!!! tutorials please!!

Very fine work, good mapping, and just the right colors!

Shit son, 'tis really good!

Very nice job. If something, then I would suggest some spotty shiny reflections from the water drops. These tiny lights would make it look more real, in my opinion. It is perfect, but according the light and lights, I´d say it is flat. More light peaks, but really tiny, could move the picture bit further in realism. I hope you find the suggestion helpful.

This is amazing. I feel like if you were able to enter this into Blenderguru’s photorealism competition you may have won.

You might want to consider getting this on some other forums and galleries, show people that blender isn’t just for noobs!

Beautiful. Might post-pro the DoF next time; seems to have picked up some strange voronoi pattern. But-- this is still absolutely beautiful. The leaves in the bottom center are what drew my eye.