Misdirection (THU Golden Ticket Challenge 2015 Entry)

This is awesome and super cute

Excellent idea, well executed. Characters are amazingly designed and full of possibilities. One could see them as a protagonists of full length movie that would work only on the power of their personalities. Materials and textures are Pixar level quality- nothing to add there.

My only critique is that composition feels just a bit too vertical.

I would love to see those little guys move!

Awesome. Love the characters.

Love the characters.

Someone’s Coccyx is about to get whaaaaaaaaacked!

nice work,
<3

Really nice, really really nice. And original. If that is your designed composition, your characters etc. its excellent. You got burned out of 1st Place because you used Blender and Don’t have a bass boat.

Super cute the expression on the character are just so funny.

It’s great but I don’t really know what’s going on in the scene.

One of the best Cycles renders I’ve seen so far. Skin and shaders in general are superb. I’m not sure about the composition (all plans seem to fade in one) but that’s probably just me. 5 stars with no doubt!

Awesome, Love the character!

First time use of Cycles? Could never tell. This looks like the work of someone who’s been working with Cycles for a long time.

Third … place? … :ba:

Wow… fantastic! 3rd place… not bad at all!

Thanks for the warm responses!

@finalbarrage
Sculpting in Blender has it’s problems but I find it pretty decent, especially for concept sculpting. If you could repose the mesh without exiting sculpt mode, it would be perfect for what I use it for.

@ristesekuloski and mookie3d
Completely agree that the composition is iffy. Composition is one of my biggest weaknesses as an artist and I’m trying my best to improve in that aspect. I actually felt that the composition wasn’t working before I started my final renders, but because of the texturing workflow I used it was hard to make any major adjustments to the positioning of the characters and the camera. In the end, the workflow that allowed me to finish in time also prevented me from making revisions.

@Cecy
After fighting with Mental Ray for years, using Cycles was a cakewalk :eyebrowlift2:. But in all seriousness, Cycles is pretty artist friendly so it was easy enough to pick up. Plus, I use Fusion at work so I felt right at home with the node-based workflow.

So, when’s the Blender Movie gonna be ready?! :smiley:

For my own armchair critique of this picture, I let the composition slide. It still reads really well left to right and back again and the expressions are full of charm and character (“pure feral glee”) said one commenter - spot on! This is one of the most fun images on the top five in a long time! It’s always delightful to see personality in a mesh/sculpt/texture/anything since we all know how hard Blender can be to work with.

I’m fascinated by the projection of textures in this. I couldn’t tell and I think you hit a home run with that. It only needed to be a single image and you nailed it. Cycles is tough and that foreground character’s fingers turning red is a forgivable by-product of some textures and lighting. Thanks for sharing this; it’s really inspiring across so many aspects!

Perfect !!! The absolutely ‘Number One’ ! (in my opinion)

This scene (especially this character) is so strong that your “armchair critique” is really much too harsh. She’s stolen the show.

“Lookout, Sintel … this little pocket-sized b*tch is gonna clean your plow!”:wink: … She’s gonna star in a new Blender movie like we’ve never seen before!

(Is it ready yet?) :wink:

very nice.