Minotaur-BG Competition

Hey Alin thanks man:) The video is a great bit of composition knowledge. I see exactly what you are talking about. Don’t worry though this is just a testing position and the camera will definitely be moving around and the Minotaur posed.

Next on to hair:)

Everything about this project is great ! Most of all, that you made your own concept from the mitology, this is what character design should be like! I hope to see soon the final image , good luck! :smiley:

Thanks Joshercrab, I’m trying hard on the hair system right now. I’m not exactly happy because I keep having issues with the hair roots floating above the mesh. The particle system is first in the modifier list so I’m not sure what the deal is. Not all the hair is doing it that’s the strange thing:) Anyways I hope to post an update soon:) I think I’m going to run out of time posing this guy but I’ll give it my best:)

Ok so here is the update for today. A little disappointing for me but I really like where the hair is going and what its adding to the character but its a bit lumpy and patchy and not smooth flowing strands. Right now its set to simple children which is causing the lumpiness but when I switch to interpolated the hair and the base mesh disappears when rendered??? Any ideas on that?? then as stated above I get patches where the hair seems to be floating above the base mesh??? I tried to turn up the steps in the hair from 5 to 8 and my computer just kept crashing. So anyways I’ll try to make some touch ups and then try to finalize. Maybe my computer is hitting the wall due to the large file size…I think is arounf 100Mb due to all the high res textures and the mesh detail.

This is looking awesome. Love the helmet idea. I haven’t played with hair yet so I can’t help you on that unfortunately.

Very impressive work, I think I spot a winner :wink:

Thanks guys for the support. It’s too bad that I have run out of time. I will do my best to get a good final render with so kind of fun pose…I’m just not sure I will have time for what I was planning. Seems that there is a deflect emitter setting when combing hair particles. I’ll have to play with that. I still havent figured out the issue I noted above with the particle system using interpolated children…simple children seems to work fine. Any thoughts are welcome:)

This is turning out pretty good, Derek. :slight_smile:
The fur seems a bit too glossy for me though. And like you said, too patchy. What kind of children particles are you using? I suggest interpolat rather than simple. Also, the glossy on the hooves looks a bit too strong. Perhaps try to increase the glossiness on the horns. That should draw the attention to the head more.
Keep it up Derek, and finish it quick - you only have 1-2 days left.

Impressive , hats off!

is it completely done with Blender?

Looking awesome.

Yep all Blender guys…I even tried to use Blenders texture painting as much as possible. With the texture paint layers its much easier than ever before:)

Alin, I’m using simple children because when I use interpolated my hair and emitter disappears when rendering. Have you ever run into that? I know interpolated looks much better and less patchy…its driving me crazy!!

I think I’ll try to bring the gloss on the hoves down a bit or add some vertical grain lines which would do the same.

I’m running out of time though!!!

Best of luck Derek, this is wonderful!! At first I thought he had a boulder attached to his huevos, and I thought to myself, ‘wow, that Derek is one sick unit!’ Haha! Great stuff! 5*

Hey…looks awesome and I hope you get the issues sorted in time t have the fur looking awesome also!. The only time the hair would dissappear while rendering for me was if I still had it in particle edit mode an not object mode. Probably not your issue here but thought I would mention it anyways. Good luck!

I would probably move the stone ( which is attached to the chain ) to the Left side of the picture … it looks odd where it is now. At the first glance i thought this was attached to his " …is " :evilgrin:
Thats the only critic i can come up with, because other than that this really rocks … great work Derek :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=AlinB;2597893And also, you have a tangent point where his ‘pants’ are touching the concrete. (find out more about tangents in this video: http://ctrlpaint.com/videos/avoiding-visual-tangents )
I wish you luck on the contest. :D[/QUOTE]

I was just about to say the same thing. I saw it as an inverted version of the ‘antlers’ problem that 2D images sometimes suffer from (stuff looking like it is growing out of the top of an object when aerial perspective is lost). In this case, it looks like the rock is hanging down from his crotch :eek:, it looks painful…and I’m not going to coin a phrase for that compositional issue haha ;).

Oh, I was beaten to it again haha. Exactly what I thought :wink:

Derek, progress has been great on this! Good luck!

Haha guys thanks for making me smile. Dont worry this guys junk isnt connected to the chunk of stone between his legs:) I’m working on the pose now which I think you all will like a lot more. Much more dynamic in attack mode:) I’m glade your all liking the progress. Too bad time always runs out!

I’ll post an update soon!

Well I think this is going to be it guys:) Not much time left but I like what I have come up with. The pose is not the greatest but I think it works. I have to do it quick and dirty but that’s the way it goes sometimes. Any final thoughts???