Minotaur-BG Competition

Hehe thanks Kalinaki, also most definitely on the chained wrists. Its on my list to do above:) I’m working on teeth and mouth right now. More progress to post in the morning:)

Ok I worked on the re-sculpt of the face and the teeth. Things are getting closer I think…of course keeping in mind that this is still be rendered in BI so next step is to move into Cycles and get some SSS going:) Will also work on the hair at that time as well. Next tho I’m going to work on the chains and the clothing or whatever you want to call it. I think its going to be mostly chains and leather. Then lastly the pose and the final composition:) Any thoughts on the current renders and the progress??

It’s still cool :stuck_out_tongue: those tiny black eyes are really bad-ass!

I always look forward to your new projects. It’s looking great so far!

the horns are looking much better!

Your project is really inspiring wolfred! The sculpting is awesome, I really have to learn to do that :slight_smile:
Have you thought about putting in the loincloth/clothes sooner rather than later? I think some really shaggy furry clothing hanging down to the level of his knees would increase the menace and force of the character…sorry if that sounds a bit Freudian _

Amazing Charachter sculpt of yours again :slight_smile: It already has a Triple A game model quality to it (looking a bit Skyrim-ish to me), so I’m curious about the final design. You could maybe increase the bend of the torso a bit more, at the moment it looks quite straight. Great Work!

Thanks guys:) today on to the clothing and chains:) I think I will have to be satisfied with the skin, face and mask. I may just do a little more texturing on the mask like adding some deep scratches across the mask as if he was trying to rip it off. But ya I’m thinking actually about doing a leather loin cloth like flat wide-ish belts hanging from the waist with a piece of metal at the end…I think I seen stuff like this before in like gladiator type movies. Then maybe a few rings of leather belt up the waist and then chain over the shoulders and under arms and under rib cage all connecting at the front chest where there will be a metal ring kinda like a dog harness:) Maybe also one forearm shield on the left arm.

Here is an update:) Got some chains going and the shackles on his wrists. Also added some big scratches on the mask which will be shiny reflective once I get this guy into cycles…BI wont seem to recognize the texture for spec on the scratches:( I also added in his weapon of sorts the huge chunk of rock wall attached to the chain on his right wrist. He will be swinging it around in the final pose:) Still need to added the loin cloth groin cover and then the hair and cycles:) Any thoughts?

I think if you mask the wrists and place the shackles tighter around them it will look better, right now it is like they hovering in the air.

The scars on the helmet are nice, but I think if there is one big one, that is more obvious, could look better. Try it if you are left with time.

I still think the ears are awful. I think the shape is bad. If you pull the ears back close to the head, gargoyle or demon like, I personally think it will look better.

The weapon chain is awesome.

Thanks Kalinaki, I hear ya on the shackles…the problem is the wrists arent round and they are rather thick unlike a human wrist in relation to the hand. I really dont want to change the arm and wrist design and I cant help but think the shackle would be made round so I ended up with what I have shown. However I’m not entirely happy with it either:) I think I’m going to customize the shackle just for this guy and get a shape that more closely matches his wrist shape and them make sure the metal is resting right position.

The scratches in the mask are strange now because they are not colored or shiny like they should be. I’ll take care of that in cycles:)

The ears the ears the ears:) Well I agree and if there is time I have a different style in mind…not exactly demon like, but pig like…the top ridge of the ear turns down and there is more of a ear lobe near the cheek. Its a better design but I’m almost out of time and I have not even finished the loin cloth or the hair!!!

I’ll post update stuff this afternoon:)

I think the shackles you made are awesome and match well with the model. If you change the shape, the effect will be lost. Try it and see how it goes. I was nitpicky when I mentioned it anyways.

Another way you could solve this if you just rotate and fix the position of the shackles relative to the camera angle, so you don’t waste extra time re-doing.

Terrific work so far, DerekG1080! Your project has been coming along nicely, I really like the proportions and the subject. I’m looking forward to seeing the differences between the BI and the Cycles renders. It’s already looking very good!

Thanks James…its been fun to play with the old BI render a bit. Kinda like riding a bike I guess:) I’m excited as well to move into cycles. Hopefully all goes smoothly;) Here is today’s update. Worked on shackles and loin cloth…texturing needs some work but this will do for now until I go cycles.

My first cycles update:)!! Everything transferred over pretty good and I think the textures are looking better. I need to work on the chain shader more and make a few other adjustments here and there but overall I think its looking good:) Any thoughts? I did add some SSS to the skin and the gums.

Next on to hair!!

Like it very much, the shackles now look much more defined with the scratches. The leather accessory is gorgeusly well made, I think i’ts quite hard to get it to look naturally. The skin shows in so many places, you might try to add some variance in color to it and maybe a saturation-value gradient from the top to the bottom as proposed in the DOTA Character Art Guide to draw the attention to the place you want it to be?

this guy is really coming together - lots of work in there! i would soften the shadows - they’re pretty crisp right now, and I think softening them would add realism.

what are the plans for the setting/background?

I love the ears! :stuck_out_tongue:

The chains and shackles feel spot on.

Rendering another test now…

-softened the shadows;)
-adjusted some bump and colors
-adjusted the leather a bit to be more irregular

Glad the ears look better…much more pig like:) which fits the theme I guess.

I’m hoping to still have time to add some hair on the legs and back to shoulders. The scene is going to be him breaking free and swinging the chain connected to the chunk of stone wall. Dynamic pose and then simple backgound. Maybe some flying particles from swinging stone. All if there is time:)

Good progress my friend. Ive been watching the thread for a while. No much critique to give you though. (for now) - excepting maybe the arm anatomy but I dont think you`ll go back and re-sculpt that… is quite exhausting. And also, you have a tangent point where his ‘pants’ are touching the concrete. (find out more about tangents in this video: http://ctrlpaint.com/videos/avoiding-visual-tangents )
I wish you luck on the contest. :smiley: