Michalis's watercolours and sketches

WOW ! Great !

Kind regards
Alain

Thank you. But, still don’t see anything common.
Except the B&W etching. Which is th obvious way to go for fine printing, some centuries now.

This is the look I mean, colour stuff:

kindof the combination of exaggerated silhouette line shapes with some shading detailing - honestly I dont know enough about painting or drawing to explain it properly - anyway it’s a cool look I love :).

btw your not from Piraeus by any chance? I once knew a MIchalis from Piraeus, then again I suppose it is probably a common name, I’m not sure.

Oh my.
I have nothing to do with this art anyway,
NOTHING!

OK I will drop it - I like your pictures

michalis you are really good in general well done…!!! and thanks for share those art with us, god i love this community

Nice work here, always enjoyed your sculpting.

Wow, Michalis! Such beautiful paintings!

Your ability to render is unmatched - I’ve seen lots of watercolors and known almost as many watercolorists, but your use of few tones to evince an incredible image is unrivaled! I’ve never seen one color (as it appears) put to so many uses in one piece before!

Bravo!

Hey, thanks.
I never taught how to use this medium in art school of athens. (uni)
Only oil colors and about tempera techniques, even a little fresco (the real one)
All the classic great european (and some of the eastern) art. Impressionists!! Cezanne! (And Picasso etc)
Then, one day, I saw the wonderful paintings (and watercolors) of an american artist. Edward Hopper… wow.
I started loving this medium.
But, suddenly, this: Andrew Wyeth!!! It sounds ridiculous but this artist made me to have a second look on the wonderful master. Albrecht Dürer. The master of watercoloring.
Now, combining these with the tradition of the hellenistic, greco-roman painting-frescoes.
See? no secrets under the sun. LOL

I always loved the watercolours of JMW turner… love romanticism…

Turner? Far away of how I understand this watercolor medium.
Romanticism… unfortunately (for the art of painting) Victor Hugo was a great writer. Almost one of the greatest artists of the 19th century. (delacroix’s quotes)

Fishing.

I hadn’t seen your work before. Very nice work, as expected.

Wow,
How have I missed this thread (ô¿ô)
michalis,
These are awesome.
My friend, You are very talented :slight_smile:
You work with oils as well?

cheers,
~Tung

This thread has a rather fantastic collection of watercolour artworks that i wouldn’t have otherwise seen anywhere, the use of watercolor that you provide here is exquisite, i mean to say that i never expected to use watercolor in such way!. Watercolor is indeed a master technique, but here both the “messy” and the “fine” join together to create contrast, volume, mood and texture. Deffinitely a great thread, congratulations for the work, your sense of form is superb :slight_smile:

Thank you Tung, Jose
Watercolors…
well, there is a kind of style around, what watercolors should be expected to look like.
A wonderful master, a great american artist, made me thing otherwise.
Andrew Wyeth!!!
On the other hand, all this great frescos from the greco-roman period.
greco roman frescoes

Really nice! To me, watercolor is very hard to control …

Thanks Glenn, not really, from the moment you may have a vision of a different style, not the washed impressionistic one. Which is great but doesn’t fit in my needs.
So, still summer, more watercolors.

Summer, so, a boat.

Ah, these are great! Hmm, I’m tempted to try and give watercolor another go…last time I tried I found it very hard to get my ideas onto paper. Always found pencil easier, but perhaps time for another shot. Might be a bit trickier convincing me to sit outside at this time of year though.