Michalis's watercolours and sketches

Hi,your artwork is good.

Those are great briefly i like those :slight_smile:

Thanks for sharing

I didn’t noticed this thread before.
And wow, those are really superb , you have a fantastic use of colors that gives some life to those scenes.

Great work again Michalis !

Thanks JSaffari, Sanctuary
Some more, it’s summer time after all. Staying away as possible from computers.

beautiful, michalis. expressive, very effectiv use of strokes and colors. and, very keenly observed, wonderful.

I’m surprised you can get put down people so easily, everytime I try to draw someone standing they are gone by the time I put down the first stroke.

Thanks doris, Therahedwig
I just asked them to pose for a few minutes, I also took some photos.
The next day, after trashing first attempts, I took more photos, asked them to stay for a few minutes in pose.
I’m talking on the last posted image, the rather fat boy.
It’s my favorite. If you see some anatomy, it’s random and never attempted to do it so. It’s the lighting my concert, that’s all. Most of all, it’s the colour.

The boy is indeed awesome, my favourite. So great understanding of light. The bouncing light on his lower pectoral is pure magic

Thanks marco
Watercolours are like pathtracers LOL. Though much faster…

Your skill is of the masters.

Thanks Kris
As I got tired with blender, all these endless issues etc.
Some more watercolors

I have to say Michalis, you’re a rarity. This isn’t to say that there aren’t others with skill both on paper and digitally, but I recognise your skill (and artwork) anywhere. I enjoyed all of these drawings/watercolours, sketches though they may be. Well done, and thank you for posting them.

I love your style…
That car is really amazing…
How much time did you put into it?can you provide a higher resolution image of it?(if you don’t mind…)

I like much your watercolor paintings.
The first of #23 is my favourite one.

Watercolor rendering … its difficult.
It looks like you painted without any pre-sketching?

I love the chairs and the boat - very much so. These read very well, regardless of how much or little detail you include, the forms tell the story.

Thank you all, for the kind commends.

How much time did you put into it?

from 5-10 mins to 1-2 hours the most. Depends.

Watercolor rendering … its difficult.
It looks like you painted without any pre-sketching?

Watercolors can become a mess easily. Wash them, they become a worse mess.
But is it a mess? Or a nice background to add some more details? A dirty washed shape, close it with a darker tone and becomes a great lightened area. No pre sketching, just very good- expensive, rather large brushes, with a fine nose. Huge cheap brushes and sponge for washing. Lot of water. A few drops of glycerin or honey, or even some lemonade helps a lot.
When I first tried watercolors ~25 years ago (lol) I found it almost impossible. But I liked that I didn’t need a studio anymore, just good quality papers, nice brushes, a few colors. And a nice greek summer LOL
(with not much wind. Wind is horrible, but throughs the flies away. Which are also horrible. Snakes are too bad, they don’t bother. Donkeys are a little annoying personalities, they usually come right behind my neck and watch what I"m doing. The worse critics. Obviously they don’t appreciate my work.)

lol about the descrition of your spectators :-).llooll… love the atmosphere in your paintings, and now you reveales how you create it, wonderful! the most striking for me is your sharp and precise observation, take the two guys, there are only very basic forms and light and shadow, and yet you clearly characterized the tilts of heads, shoulders etc that are crucial for seeing what is going on. no details at all, pure reduction to the beauty!

Thanks Doris.
Here some fast digital work
AI and or Ps. Wacom.
Very small illustrations for a rather old fashion book.
I also did the whole DTP of this small book.
I was in a hurry and had no scanner, else a pen and ink could serve well.
1 bit bitmaps hi definition. They work beautifully in typography, like etching.

poly orea - they remind me of Bill Sienkewicz’s stuff in Elektra Assassin :slight_smile:

r4ytrace
thank you.
Bill Sienkewicz’s art? In what way?

well because it looks like it to my eyes :slight_smile: - I mean it as a compliment. Straight away when I saw it it reminded me of the first few pages of Elektra Assassin, which I like a lot.