Marble Expedition

Here is an animated gif of what I have been working on. I will probably do another devlog sometime soon.

This is one of the ‘active’ powerups that the player can pickup, all of these will come with their own cutscene/introduction, which I will probably put together in a devlog.

Texturing is still WIP

http://i.imgur.com/qC0HD5Y.gif

New level selecting menu I created today, reads which levels the player has completed and the number of crystals collected and transfers this information to the level selector.

Green icons are for completed levels, red icons are for incomplete levels. A padlock on the level indicates that it is locked and can’t be played until the previous level has been completed (as shown in the image below).

The ‘worlds’ button goes back to the world/theme menu. The process to play the game will look something like select world/theme>select level to play>select marble>play level. After completing a level the player will return back to the level menu.

Any comments/critique appreciated!

Additional devlog, summing up everything and going over the updates.

Great job, Thatimster! I like the new updates. However, you should add some limitations to that copter power up, otherwise it’d make everywhere reachable:D

I really like the tutorial menu, looks very professional.

I also love your power up animation with the effects, gives it a comic book feel :slight_smile:

the introdutions of those equipments are nice. maybe i should use it in my project as well

Nice too see you still going with this :slight_smile:
I wish you all the success mate :slight_smile:

Thanks! Yeah some limitations would be good otherwise the trampoline/dynamic launcher powerup is a bit pointless. Maybe I will limit the speed of rising.

Awesome, glad you like it :D. The comic book effect was a little hard to get working, but I think it paid off.

Thanks RockyMadio! The effect is done by using a render to texture script, then through nodes, plug the texture into a color ramp and select constant (no blending). Then you can have full control over which colours are in the image. I also used the object color on a seperate mask material, to determine the mix between comic book and normal. The grunge and title are an overlay with a 2d filter applied.

Thanks Chaos, I hope to see this through to the end. Best of luck with your game as well :slight_smile:

Did some work on getting the world menu started. From here the player can select the ‘world’/theme of levels they want to play.
Selecting a world will result in the saturation + brightness of the world being increased to full, unselected worlds will remain ‘dull’ on either side of the selected world.
Clicking on the image of a world will open the level menu for the selected world.

I will probably also add titles for each world along with the player’s ‘crystal’ balance in the bottom left hand corner of the screen.

Nice work. This game is coming along!

Thanks cypher, progress is slow but steady :slight_smile:

Today I managed to finally get the world menu functioning properly after having to rewrite the movement script a couple times, also fixed some other bugs and connected the tutorial world with the tutorial levels. Next I need to get the level counter to work for the ‘paradise’ themed world along with some titles and start working on the store.

So after reading some “I will escape” reviews on steam, Key binding seems like an expected “must have” feature, so I will look into getting an option for this into the main and pause menu. This will probably mean redoing some of the movement for the player along with the activation of powerups etc.

A big problem im finding is Xbox Controller is what people want as well. Im doing this by changing all my Keyboards to messages, but i have mouse actuators and need mouse movement
to run them, so making a xbox 360 thumbstick controller control them seems like a dead end for me at the moment :frowning:

If you can do this key binding, please make it a tutorial Thatimster, it would greatly benefit some of us mate.

I could imagine getting any sort of controller to work would be a nightmare. I don’t actually have an xbox controller so I’ve never tried using the joystick sensor or anything like that (something which I would imagine being a pain to get working for menu’s).

So if I do a tutorial on key binding it would probably only include binding the keyboard keys. As far as I know the only person that has got an xbox controller working well with BGE is cuervo (used to develop the Mario game on here).

Didn’t get much done today, but managed to create a cool card design and link the store with the world selector menu (so you can toggle between them).

So what does this screenshot mean?

Each card is a category of the store, once you click on a card it will flip over and reveal all the items you can purchase under that category (using animations and an overlay). The categories so far are: marbles, worlds, cursors.
The card textures are 256x256 mirrored on both x and y.

Next to do is get key binding working continue building the store.

Looks good. Really nice. Hm, but I’d use card designs for daily bonuses:)
It is fact that 4 polygons and 256x256 will run better than 1 polygon with 512x512.

The cards will have titles + preview image covering most of the card, so it will be a bit more suitable. Daily bonuses could be a cool idea though, maybe i’ll add it later to the last category.
I would think the 4 polygons should run better because the used texture is the same for each polygon so no new textures need to be loaded.

OK! Yes. Good luck, I wanna see this game grow;)

Awesome, thanks for the support :smiley:
I’ll try keep this thread updated as frequently as I can

So today I got a keybinding menu working successfully and added some more visual elements to the store.
I might change the background of the store as the glow around the selected card is a little hard to see, perhaps I will just make the background darker. The glow will move to whichever card the player is hovering over.

In regards to keybinding, I made a new menu based on the bones from the options menu. To change a key you click on the black bar, the text will change to “Press a key”, if you select a key that is already used the text will read “key used”. The player can then re-click in the bar to reset to another key. All keys on the keyboard can be bound.

Clicking default will reset all the keys (this is hardcoded).

Ascend and Jump will always be the same.

Still to do: save the key configuration into the settings file and load it into the levels when playing. I also need to implement this into the main menu so the player can easily change the controls without having to start a level.

Nice! If there is a way that I can help you with this game(ideas, hints, help with scripts or making some little assets), just ask;)