Lumberyard - Amazon's Free game engine..

I am betting it’s all middleware, assets, shaders, etc. etc. When you deploy a release build, it should be definitely small binary.

Well looking at the file structure a lot of the size is actually the 3rd party folder.

AWS is about 6GB.
Clang is about 15 GB
Wwise is 4.3 GB

Basically it includes all the 3rdparty SDKs with it instead of just being libraries compiled into the engine. The download includes all the necessary tools and sdks needed to build the engine from scratch if you wanted to. That includes all 3rd party tools needed for the engine. Amazon probably could have put this all on a git repo somewhere but because the engine uses so many 3rd party libs I’m not sure if that would have been feasible since they don’t own a lot of the tools integrated into lumberyard. They probably wanted to make it as easy as possible to build with no hassle.

The actual engine is in the dev folder and that’s only 6.68GB. To compare Unreal Engine 4 is 15.2 GB That’s without the Epic Game loader which is 24 GB. So all in all I’d say they are both on par in terms of how much size they take.

People need to calm down.

Yes. When you deploy a game the binary is pretty small.

Not at all. Not a fan of their stuff to be honest (engine or games).

Seems they going to fix the size of Lumberyard and some user requested Torrent downloads.

It had to happen sooner or later. I think Amazon just put out a working product so developers and game creator can start as soon as possible and maybe get in some bug reports.

This is actually the norm, it’s better to out something fast than wait too long to make a software good. It’s statistically proven. That why commercial products crash often and are full of bugs. Then they update every 2-3 weeks to fix them bugs.

Yes, bug fix and schedule of releases are very important, the beta release definitely is they want to see how many people are eager to use Lumberyard and how have harmony with their users and customers ,

I wonder what will happen on GDC 2016 this year! like other game engine news.

So, still no answer not here and not on Lumberyard forums - does it useem same model/skeletal/anim format as CryEngine ?

Well the 3rd party folder is 33 GB

hey, really 10 GBs??? c’moooon!

yeah LordOdin you beated me! I wanted to post that gif too :stuck_out_tongue:

I still wonder how is it that this monster takes up 10 gb and Godot around 21 mb; Autodesk big boys many gigs and blender little above 100 mb… this is one of the reason I like to stick with foss.
Not to mention the portable nature of the mentioned softwares…

That’s dumb to say - Blender comes with no assets, at all. That’s why it’s 100Mb.

How could you forget Suzanne! xP

Guys I have not downloaded yet, to opening Lumberyard editor Do I need to always have a connection to internet? (like cryengine was) or just once and it works offline?

Btw, I finally looked at docs for Lumberyard and CryBlend and it seems Lumberyard uses exactly the same format as CryEngine. So CryBlend can be used to bring skeletal and static models to Lumberyard.

I am sure CryBlend dev would appreciate feedback and might even continue expanding CryBlend, if people use it.

So, I posted to CryBlend developer and he will be looking into Lubmeryard and its compatibility with CryBlend.

The major turn off points in CryEngine for me were subscription, lack of assets that can be used in commercial production, poor support and no easily accessible training materials. Hopefully Amazon turns that around.

Are there assets that come with Lumberyard that devs can use in commercial projects?

:ba: HEY! :ba: I was the one that put that gif here.

Daaaaamn :o

They managed to compile OpenEXR and Alembic as static libraries with Python 3+? I might have to download that. Trying to compile those libraries on Windows has been arduous at best. Maybe it would be easier using Clang or something like that.

Isn;t that what they did? Clang is included as part of they libraries in the 3rd parties folder. I assumed that was what was happening but I could be wrong.

The folder with the assets isnt the one thats 34 GB xD