Lumberyard - Amazon's Free game engine..

´

:spin::spin::spin::spin::spin::spin::spin::spin::spin::spin::spin::spin::spin::spin::spin:
:spin:------------------------------------------------:spin:
:spin:12,000 folders??? 152,000 files???:spin:
:spin:------------------------------------------------:spin:
:spin::spin::spin::spin::spin::spin::spin::spin::spin::spin::spin::spin::spin::spin::spin:

Can you see what takes up all those gigs?

Most likely pre-made assets. Materials, Textures, Models, Sounds, Effects, etc…

There are a soem example project included with the install, not sure if they 40gb worth of data though. I installed it on Wednesday and so far I like it quite a bit. Haven’t messed with CryEngine in quite some time. One thing I have to say is while the filesize may be bloated the engine runs pretty snappy. Snappier than UE4 on my machine actually.

So how hard is it to work with, compare to UE4 ? (especially for a non-programmer)

It runs smooth as silk and has a nice visual programming/scripting interface like UE4. Overall it’s very well-designed, and aside from the initial download/footprint I haven’t had any issues with it.

What about documentation and support from Amazon ?

Is it easy to get static and animated models (skeletal) from Blender to Lumberyard ?

Good to know that.

I also notices on their Forums that they are focused currently what is most important for users, FBX and Bugs and so on.

In some ways I think the FlowGraph is a bit easier (for me) to grasp than BluePrint. BluePrints are super powerful and they are basically built as a replacement to scripting so nodes tend to be less defined and much more like actual code structure. Which is fine, but the way that Blue Prints flows is completely foreign to me. I keep trying to think of it as lines in code but it makes no sense. There is more setup in UE4 to do certain things that are just a node in lumberyard like fades. UE4 give you more control though. Since I like code better than visual scripting LUA is a godsend to me in lumberyard.

That being said, UE4 is better laid out. Things in the UI make sense and there isn’t a menu full of all these views, accessing views is done by clicking objects so you are always working with objects as opposed to jumping to views. The materials system is far better and more mature in UE4, most tools are. Some of the tools in Lumberyard are a little rough to be honest.

I think with a UI overhaul (they use qt so it shouldn’t be too bad), and a few changes and polish, it would be on par with UE4. Visually its actually better. It’s stunning without having to do anything. It GI right off the bat (called Total Illumination) so for all you viz folks this must be great.

I haven’t delved into the code yet so I can’t comment on that at the moment.

Things I like are:

Their UI system, not as featureful as UMG but seems easier to use.
Scripting - I just can’t get visual scripting it’s nice to have an alternative.
Graphics are beautiful to say the least and perform great. UE4’s performance is an issue the devs are aware of 4.11 is supposed to fix some of these issues. lumberyard is just snappy from the get go.
UE4’s documentation is a ofcourse better, but the little documentation ly has seems to be more tailored towards people with no gamedevelopment experience. Reminds me of Unity in that way.
Naming schemes - I know this isn’t important to some but I feel ly uses more standard naming conventions like prefabs etc vs blueprint class. Nothng big but I think easier to understand for newbs.

That’s all I got for now since I haven’t gotten a chance to play with it much.

I’ll probably stick with UE4 for now, I’m already learning it and it still has a lot going for it. Who know maybe Epic will hange their licensing in response (doubtful).

As of now not really. There is supposed to be some kind of blender script around but I’m not sure of the status of that though it may be good to note that even the official support they have for Maya and Max is universally regarded as crap. They FBX import but it doesn’t import animation.

It just came to me (noting LordOdin’s posting of the breadth of Lumberyard’s file system), what are the chances that you wouldn’t be in for an all-day ordeal when the engine tells you it wants to update? Would Amazon only deliver patches that touch small parts of the system or would you need to download all 10 gigs of data again?

As an example for downloading, we have high-speed internet at home, but my machine connects to the system via a wireless receiver. That means my connection is often slower and as a result takes about 15 minutes to download a gigabyte (took 30 minutes to download all of the Windows 10 files). I would be looking at 2 and a half hours just for the downloading part and that’s not even including the time it would take to extract 40 gigs of data followed by the install time.

Maybe the download and installation would take whole day but it’s “free” and it’s a real game editor. It’s a small sacrifice to make if you want to make games in that engine.

But I’m looking at Godot engine right now and I like the 12MB it has. Reminds me of blender in the old days.

Maybe that’s true, but still, 40 gigabytes is far larger than the size of every application on my entire machine combined, does the engine really need to have that much data?

Not to mention, the size would lock out everyone who doesn’t live in a sizable urban area within the more developed countries (like the majority of people on this forum). In the US at least, high-speed internet is not available in rural areas as well as the smaller towns so you would be out of luck unless you literally packed your things and moved to a different place.

Also, this doesn’t get into the prospect of what you might be in for when Amazon sends out an update (and especially if they do not let you defer them or opt out of them).

I love my employer 40 gb is nothing if the engine have high:cool: quality sound files and image textures.
And premade function means more code so when will we get this in blender.

I don’t see why the content can’t be in a separate download if one needs it (though that assumes that the assets are what’s comprising much of the size).

is there an asset/content market for it? on amazon store?

What make whe difference between downloding texture and having them in the engine.
Maybe ur right i have a very slow conection 6mbits.But for (complete?) solution its ok.(if the updates are not that big)
Most of the employee are stupid thats fact, but nobody is perfect.

No no at the moment.

Give them a minute guys. I took how long before the UE4 asset store started working and even so it’s paltry compared to something like Unity.

Is this really a big deal? Hard disk space is hardly a premium nowadays. Hard drives are really chea. 40GB is about the size of most games you download from Steam, PSN or XBL. Naruto Ninja Storm a game that was previously about 8GB with version 3 and is now 30-40GB of data for version 4. 40GB doesn’t surprise me at all.

I understand that not everyone has good internet service but think of the market Amazon is trying to cater to. They want people developing games like MOBAs, and massive multiplayer games, or competition games. Having a good internet connection is what Amazon expects out of people making games with their engine. That’s where they are going to make their money after all.

Even UE4 updates are pretty big going as big as 4 GBs sometimes and that’s not even counting some of their content you can download after the fact.

Still, why would any game engine need to have a file structure consisting of 12,000 folders? Why would a game engine need to be about as large as an actual AAA-quality PC game (since the usual case is the game developer’s own content needing that space)?

You probably haven’t worked with id Tech engines :wink:

Does Lumberyard (I keep typing it as lumberjack :stuck_out_tongue: ) have the same native model/anim format as CryEngine? If so, there is CryBlend: https://github.com/travnick/CryBlend