Low Poly work w/ hand painted textures.

Very nice. When painting the textures, do you start with a canvas dimensions proportional to what it will be mapped to? I have never done that, so excuse me if that is a ‘duh’ question.

Well, I’m far from an expert on the subject, so my workflow might be completely laughable to those who ARE experts. However, what I do works for me.

I usually model whatever I want to model and unwrap it. I always use a square texture of fairly large proportions (usually around 4096x4096, which I later scale down). I then bake the Ambient Occlusion, save it, open in up in Photoshop, keep the AO layer on top and set the layer style to Multiply. From there it’s pretty much painting away and see what works.

So I guess… in short… no, I don’t start with a canvas proportional to what it’ll be mapped to, I start out big, square, and scale it down depending on the object’s significance and size.

Here’s a floor tile, as I figured I hadn’t done any of those yet. I went a little overboard on the little… potholes I guess? Polycount is at 72 tris, could’ve done with less, but wouldn’t have retained the detail under the loose tiles.

Hope you’ve enjoyed!

And here we go again, another floor tile texture! And again it’s just a screenshot from the game engine, no renders in this thread yet… which I like, it feels … different.

Enjoy!

Here’s something different I’ve been trying:

It’s a style I’ve been trying to figure out today, and so far… it’s a lot harder than you’d think (there’s a lot of texture stretching etc, but that’s mainly because I’m trying to just lay down the basic colours, and take it to photoshop as soon as I feel I’ve got a good thing going.

This thread is becoming less and less about what the title says it’s about, but at least there’s progress.

Alright, that last post, with the painting style texture is a few steps above my skill level. I was trying to do something like this:

Yeah… seems I can’t do that.

On a brighter note though, I have another texture… a wall tile this time.

I’m really starting to consider recruiting some people into this project, but something is holding me back! It’s a lot to take in; project management, team management and coördination, art direction, writing a rough script/screenplay, considering gameplay mechanics,… and on top of that… the creation of the assets and characters, texturing,… and having a life outside of blender also seems to be this thing people do.

But I think I might have to get over it, and I might just write a rough draft for the recruitment message. What are your thoughts on this whole thing?

mudbox looks amazing, seemed more like projection painting and hand painting mixed together. nice work so far. what kinda game you are making?

Is that mudbox in the video? I had no idea, I just found the visual style the guy had going on is amazing… like game art sorcery.

To answer your question: At this time I’m not making a game, just assets upon assets, upon assets. Basically building a little library of stuff to use when the game project starts (guessing to lighten the workload a bit). My idea for a future game project is to have an RPG, in which the player levels up on his own while playing through the single player story, and then combining that with a sort of MOBA element where they can either be pitted against other players in very small teams, or make a cooperative effort to defeat a certain AI enemy (which, as I now read it… sounds sort of like a dungeon in any MMO, but I’m not interested at all in something as huge as an MMORPG).

The story would have to be worked out, but I feel that that would be done better when brainstorming with a team.

sounds interesting, i agree working on a full game is a huge work.

Yeah, I see a lot of people just posting things like “I have this great idea, which I won’t write down here… and I don’t feel like taking the time to hone my creative skills, so mail me and make “my” game for me”. And I want to avoid coming across as someone like that, hence the small bit of legwork here before I even think of posting in the volunteer work section.

Well, it’s been a few days since I’ve gotten any work done… having a little trouble with my computer lately (random shutdowns with a new PSU, ran a memtest without result, it’s not the mobo, but my graphics card might be failing as it has moved around computers a lot… and it’s an old radeon HD 5770).

However, I did get some work done today! While I do realize that this thread is drifting further and further away from the original premise, I do want to keep this updated regardless of where it might end up.

Even though I’ve been fiddling with Blender since late 2006, I’ve never really gotten serious about it before. So for the first time in eight years… I decided to model some hands! And as you know… one thing leads to another… and then there was the start of what I assume will become the protagonist.

So here’s what I have so far.

Hope you enjoyed!

Small update on the character model. Started working on the torso.

I wasn’t sure what style to go for initially, so I experimented with more realistic pectoral muscles first… but it just felt too … ‘realistic’, as opposed to the stylized feel I want to have.

Hope you enjoy!

the pecks are shaped concave like ribs, maybe use some reference!!

I see a lot of people who use excuses like I’m about to, but know that I’m not purposefully ignoring your advice! I’m going for very stylized here, as in… near cartoon like. The concave pectorals just felt way, way off with the style I’m going for.

Your textures looks amazing. I really like!

Thank you.

On another note: I’ve been thinking about a possible storyline, as I’d get nowhere with merely a set of pictures but no ideas for a story.

I’m not going to share all my thoughts here for obvious reasons, but what I can tell you is that I’m dabbling with the premise of an in-game NPC asking the player to have his soul imported into an individual living in the ‘game world’. And if you’re wondering… yes, that premise might sound familiar to anyone who has played ‘Omikron: The Nomad Soul’ back in the 90’s. It’s not as if I want to rip off other people’s ideas, but there’s a lot that can be done with a similar idea… and as far as I know there’s only one game to have ever done it (the aforementioned Omikron: The Nomad Soul). Besides… I haven’t seen a truly original FPS game in a long… long time.

Let me know what you think.

Wow,

I super love what you are doing here.

Thanks Pieriko, after checking out your work… I’ll take that as a huge compliment.

Did some more work on what will eventually, hopefully, be one of the playable characters. And before anyone thinks of commenting about how the proportions are way, way off… that’s the point.

Hope you’ve enjoyed.

i like this. I’ve never seen blender used in such a way. The hand painted textures are a brilliant personal touch. Nice work on all of the renders on here.

@Jamie B Thanks bro.

Here’s something new… I want to call it an update, but it can hardly be called an update if it’s new and completely unrelated to the original topic.

Anyhow, it’s unfinished (working on the textures as we speak). I plan on adding some more props, but so far… this is what I’ve got: