KRUM - Edge Of Darkness - available on Steam

Use this. It might decrease FPS a bit, but has a great effect.
Here’s a tutorial from my site that’ll give you realtime shadows (without need for shaders), http://blender3dtutor.com/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=11

Basically the tutorial came from Monster’s original post which can be found here http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=71377&highlight=quiz.

Jason Lin

there is one little problem in monster code is about the rotation. Real shadows don’t reat this way, it don’t follow player rotation.

Oh I haven’t actually implemented the script in an actual game, besides some quick rigging tests. Heh, trying myself in rotating the character, I see what the problem is.

Thorgal’s fix on the rotation problem is ok, but it isn’t quite perfect. Hmm… I’ll try to find a work around somehow, hehe or maybe Monster might be able to solve it himself sometime.

Jason Lin

Can you just post a blend?

Yes I know this tutorial, it is very good ,couse we actually have real time shadow animation there. But the problem is that as far as I know the shadow is a copy of the real character with another position and orientation and black color, wich means double poligon counts for every object with shadow…it is not good for games to have too many polys in one scene.

Поздравления за хубавия пост! Играта върви много леко, дори и на старото ми PC.
Very good rigging of the characters and great texturing!
Keep on the good work!

The pics look good but i will have to wait for the start of next month for my internet to go fast :frowning:

this is true but you can use reduce polygons if this only the matter !

Yah thanks for the .zip!! Cool game too. How did you do the arrows??? python?

yeah you can make a even lower poly count character for the shadow… in most games that cast real shadows… they use a lower poly version to do the shadow casting… as in they don’t use the use a super complex game character but a simpler version. Hopefully we’ll be able to set what casts shadows in the ogre intergration?

Cool game demo by the way. Nice blood spats and animations.

Hey. Just want to point out a bug for the game. When you get on top of some of the big mountains, you get thrown up over the sky (Nice cloud scroll btw, how did you do it?). Try setting the sky to Ghost so that when you do it, you don’t get stuck up there like I did…

Attachments

Ok I’ll try to use this shadows trick, and if there is no much slow downs I’ll keep it.
The Red Hand you are right…but I’ll replace the whole environment soon with much much more beautiful and alive like.
Ok, there is a little progress…now the enemy brain is thicking on 95%. He is ARMED and DANGEROUS! :slight_smile: Just go where he can see you and wait him to come…or not, but you will have to defend your self if you want to live. ;). Also I optimized some scripts and I think now there is 6-7 fps more fast. The arrows script is changed and now there is no slow downs when you shoot…and the arrows stays in the body of the enemy.
I’ve experience some problems with the ray sensor…sometimes the game freezes if the ray sensor is positive…I’ll try to fix that.
Oh, yes…now…it is a creepy night…so bright up your monitors. :wink:
http://bogdana2005-bg.com/temp/sc1.jpg

deleted!

could you post a non fullscreen version my laptop had some trouble to render it

thanks

Link Deleted!

you rock ! nice demo and also nice use of mist … maybe I should use it in my next demo. Do you know if mist save up some fps ? or is it just for fun ?

The window version freezes when I land the first blow on the enemy… anyway this could be fixed?

Also, When the enemy’s health gets to 0, nothing happens. It would be kool to make it so that when the enemy sees you, he runs faster towards you. Right now he comes at you and you use the bow and Shoot, back, Shoot, back, and you get him to 0 and surprisingly without freezing. It seems to only happen when he gets hit by the axe or sword, or it may be the distance. But So Far, So (Fairly) Good.

Yes, it’s all about the “ray” sensor. I can fix it by using “radar” instead of “ray” but other things breaks then…it is very irritating…I’ll try to make a workaround this bug.
And you are rignt…enemy will run to you if you start to shoot him or will block your arrows with the shield and advancing toward you slowly…I think to make this actions randomly.

GREAT STUFF!!

This is awesome.

- AniCator