Krita Kickstarter 2016 on it's way!

BTW, for those with slow brush issues, turns out all our prepackaged presets were set to ‘maximum quality’, which means that they are indeed a little slow so we have a hero chugging away getting all those presets sensible right now. We should have them available soon.

If you want to have a taster of faster presets, check out the following link: https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=274&t=125125

These are resource bundles which are still somewhat experimental(they won’t crash your system, but there’s still missing functionality bugs.), but the inking pack and the painting pack should be usable for most. Especially the painting pack is optimised for a lower end device(mine), so you might be able to get some speed up out of it.

So how long until the new official Krita is in the repositories? Even Dmitry’s PPA doesn’t have it yet, only 2.8 and the krita-testing packages which overwrite the existing installation.

This fixes slow brushes, adds toggle for on canvas notifications and attempts to fix G’Mic crashes.

Please also consider turning on openGL in settings->configure Krita->display.

If that results in a black canvas, and you have an intel GPU, update your video card drivers!

Unfortunatly, we have no control over what the packager do. However, Krita-testing will stick in 2.9 for the coming months, because of porting work.

So i have to wait for Dmitry to add a “krita-2.9” package in his PPA? I guess currently the best option is to get krita-testing from Feb 25th, or a day before the official release. Would be nice if the packages became available at the same time as the announcements on the website, there was a countdown and everything…

Does krita-testing differ much in performance from the official release or is it just a “snapshot” from the main branch?

It’s literally 2.9. Thing is that Dmitry had a really bad fever before the release, and he’s still recovering from it. I’ll post when he has updated it.

Aha nice, i was under the impression that it’s some kind of unstable debug build. In that case it’s probably better to just use krita-testing since it gets updated more often.

big thanks to the Krita team, with every little and helpful optimization updates.

thanks for the update, Gmic keep crashing

• the brush system is more faster know while sketching with lazynezumi i notice a more smooth stroking in some brush that are more slow

Great!

We’re still trying to figure out what G’Mic’s issue is… There’s a lot of technical reasons why G’Mic with Krita doesn’t work as well as the G’Mic plugin for gimp, so it’s a slow process.

A number of G’Mix plugins work without a hitch, but others (like artistic–>cubism) consistently crash Krita.

First, I’d like to just say: Great work, Krita guys! :slight_smile:

And nope, I’ve never noticed any significant sluggishness in Krita. It runs just fine.

I’ve always wondered, since quite a lot of krita users are from a 3D background, will there be any 3D-specific features such as normals painting, map baking, or anything at all along those lines?

Actually, we have a bigger userbase than what you see on BA, though people from CGI industries are more quickly inclined to investigate new programs than people from illustration industries, which is probably because in the CGI industry you’re expected to juggle several bits of software in one pipeline, while illustration workflows are more easily accomodated.

That said, I am probably going to GSoC this year and will be looking at an experimental normal map painting brush engine, I already wrote a normal map blending mode. (And before someone says ‘you need to reproduce what quixel suite does, because that’s what’s missing a FOSS alternative’: That’s currently out of my league)

As for baking, well, there’s lut-baking, but that was probably not what you meant. There is someone who is interested in turning heightmaps into normal maps, and there’s another guy interested in filters, but I am not sure how soon we’d see ao from normal map generation.

Today I have noticed a problem in Krita. I don’t know, if this problem is Krita (2.9) related or not. Everytime I draw a fast stroke, it looks like that:

Is there a secret quality option to turn on or off? Or is this because my graphic tablet communicates to slow with the pc? I draw on a Bamboo Pen & Touch A4.

Set your smoothing in tool options to ‘basic smoothing’, if that does not do it, try ‘stablizer’ with ‘delay’ off and distance set to a really low number. (You can rightclick a slider to make it accept number input)

Older and simpler wacom technology sends strange events, basic smoothing was designed to work with that.

It’s good to know that some work is being done in that direction. Good luck! :slight_smile:
Painting normals is something one would naturally expect from a 3d app anyways. Unfortunately, I don’t think blender will ever implement something like that.

Thank you, ‘basic smoothing’ works like a charm. :slight_smile:

I get mine from http://ppa.launchpad.net/dimula73/krita/

Are you sure your ppa is properly installed?

Sadly, on my lubuntu it requires about ~300MB in order to install, looks like a cool software… but I had to past this one.

I hope, one day, they will provide the option to ditch from weighty kdebase. :confused:

Nah, for some unknown reason our ppa installs everything in root/opt/project-neon on ubuntu systems. Dmitry told me he has set up recipes for stable-krita-2.9, and they’re building now.

As for the dependancies, that’s the fault of the packagers, they just mark all possible dependencies of dependencies as dependencies, which results in Krita from official repos installing nepomuk, which is absolutely unecessary.

We’re looking into portable versions for linux, as well as better ppa’s instalation, but qt5 port will likely come first.