Jonathan L's Sketchbook

ctdabomb: Thanks! I found out about it early by listening to the BG podcast while getting ready in the morning.

Yesterday I worked on a new face. I stuck with the his same facial shape but it’s not anyone in particular. I had no internet, so I had no opportunity to watch time lapses or look up references while working. It’s better, but the anatomy of the neck is atrocious. Now I can download references again, so it shouldn’t be so bad in the future.

Today’s sketch. Slowly improving, but will 6 week be enough to make a good final image? We’ll see!

Please critique!

Hola, the heads looks horrible but i like your tuts anyways :slight_smile: .

I think you need more reference and learn more about anatomy of the face

Hola, the heads looks horrible but i like your tuts anyways :slight_smile: .

I think you need more reference and learn more about anatomy of the face

Haha, thanks! I know it looks bad, but I need to start somewhere! I see you do mostly sculpting, so I appreciate your input. I’ve been trying to work from references, but it’s still a challenge. Could you point out some specific areas that need work (besides all of it :slight_smile: )? I If you could check in on my WIP (Linked to in post above) every once in a while, I would seriously appreciate it. I’m more of a lighting, rendering, and compositing guy so this side of things is all still a bit new to me.

Well , i will try  i don't like to speak or write in english  too much   :).

When you try to scultp the head you first should look the shape and have very good reference about the model . i looked your other link and your reference are very small ,it doesn’t help much .

Nice work Johnathan! Is the image on the ball on the first one just a normal map applied to get that nice scratched effect? The cat is really cool too! Greetings from Portland.

Hey Jonathan, don’t be scared of the grab tool. If you do watch a lot of sculpting videos you will see often the proportion and such change drastically after a guy gets a sculpt to this point. Right now the head looks too wide and the profile shape is off. Think of what the skull underneath looks like. The back of the head should be nice and round coming in right where the skull meets the spine. Also the neck coming from the ear lopes to the collar bone is too pronounced and large. Again make the shoulders so then you can see the position of the head vs the shoulders. Right now the guys head is too far forward…you might even need to shift the neck forward at the jaw line. Just find some good reference images even if it isn’t the guy your trying to sculpt. Sometimes just seeing things from different angles is good to have. Hell you already have the best reference for anatomy your going to need…you! :stuck_out_tongue:

Great stuff again! :smiley:

Thanks Vicky!

Just testing an abstract with particles:

Here’s my weekend project and attempt to encourage people to support Gooseberry:

I need more animations in my demo reel before the CG Student Awards deadline next month, so I’m trying to crank some quick “filler” out. Here’s a shot from this weekend’s animation:

Having fun testing smoke in Cycles:

Waahhh, that smoke is sick!

Thanks, Cycles is awesome! One last test before I make a video on how to use smoke and fire in Cycles:

Nice jonathan loos like this http://www.miikahweb.com/en/articles/blenderfire#1

I don’t see too much difference maybe in the time . and thanks for the future tutorial maybe you can do a camera track tutorial too :).

Saludos

Thanks Alekzsander. Cycles does take way longer to render (still very primitive, no optimizations yet), but you can get many cool effects - like thick smoke and fire casting indirect light - that are impossible in BI.

Here’s a shot from this week’s demo reel filler sprint: slow-mo of a baseball through a window.

Only two more weeks before I need to start the final editing of my reel for submission, so wish me luck :slight_smile:

woah, that meteor render looks awesome!

Ok , many thanks it’s good to know about the fire in cycles

Video is up!

Ok , gracias amigo :slight_smile: