Interactive Quadrangulation

Man that looks amazing!! Is this feature going to be part of the next version of RetopoFlow?

Thatā€™s a question for Jonathan Williamson. This is a 2.0 target. We may do another 1.x update before going to 2.0. Butā€¦we are working our tails off becauseā€¦itā€™s pretty dang coo! Yes itā€™s headed for RetopoFlow, it might be one extra release away.

Will the price increase?

Will the price increase?

Hopefully not! Itā€™s already 70 but I wouldnā€™t be surprised on a price increase when it comes with a new update for 2.0.

Is it worth getting 1.xx if 2.xx is coming out soon?

Found this comment from October on the Blender Market Retopflow pageā€¦

ā€œAs for support and updates, you will get support and updates for the foreseeable future. Iā€™ll continue offering support just long as Iā€™m able and youā€™ll get free updates within reason. Version 2.0 will likely be a paid update, but thatā€™s not been determined in is a long ways out.ā€

Looks like itā€™s possible itā€™ll be a free update, although doubtful. Not sure why you wouldnā€™t just buy it now though if you need it. Iā€™d be surprised if they didnā€™t offer a discount to those who purchased version 1.X but obviously Jonathan would need to confirm that.

I leave the pricing all up to Jonathan. Even though utility of the tool and itā€™s price is related to interactive quadrangulation, I wanted more to stay focused on the developement, methods and workflow, including, for example AFX labs demo. Didnā€™t mean for this to become a retopoflow ad.

I would gladly pay for the update if it comes with pattern based cuadrangulation. As far as I know thereā€™s currently no software with this functionality incorporated, so it would be cheap compared with other programs license price.

Think about it, a free, open source program + a powerful addon offering functionality thatā€™s not available on other programs for just $80? :smiley:

Letā€™s stay focused on the methods presented in the paper and subsequent demos, along with the the workflows they offer :slight_smile:

For any RetopoFlow specific questions, such as upgrade details, pricing, future releases, you name it, you can just ask me directly on twitter (@carter2422) or in the comments section of the RetopoFlow page.

Patrick is doing awesome work and itā€™s so exciting to see that paper coming to fruition in Blender.

Still making progress

You guys should really work together.

video: AFX

I agree, both our projects are very cool, and very related but with subtle and significant differences. I would love to dig into the algo AFXlab is using, and also love to contribute any of our Modal/Drawing/Sketching experience to that project. I would say though, it seems like AFXlab has it pretty well handled :slight_smile:

Hey folks. Iā€™m getting to what I call the 90/10 mark. Itā€™s where the bulk of the concept work is done, your video demos look amazing, you feel like you are 90% finished, but really, you are only 10% finished. After this, all the stability, polish, undo support, documentation etc etc has to be done. These are the not sexy features that makes a tool go from ā€œneatā€ to ā€œpowerful.ā€ Before entering this drudgery of polish and stability, if anyone wants to inject suggestions/ideas for workflow and interaction now is the time! Here is where we are currently.

1 Like

Feature request! If itā€™s not already in there. But can you add more guides on the inside of the quad meshes? Say I make a perimeter and realize I need to have a certain edge running through a part, would it be possible to just draw across it?

Like this?

Hey, Iā€™d consider creating a modal within another to enable sculpt mode. Say you press a hotkey, enable sculpt mode while running current modal & use brushes to guide quadflow(Patch-Sculpt). Thatā€™s an idea I can throw out. Iā€™m impressed at how far youā€™ve gotten. Keep up the good work!

Hereā€™s an example of interacting with quadflow:

@patmo141 . #52, super impressed with how this looks! Congrats on the great work!
This is one of those things where Iā€™d love for this to be released as a beta - as is (still payed and all). But would just love the opportunity to test this and eventually use this in production.

Keep it up! Looking forward to try it out.

I really like that idea. The challenge is that because our patch filing is template and parameter based, the best we could do is extract ā€œstrokesā€ from the templates and try to correlate them with ā€œbrush inputā€ from the user. Thatā€™s what the paper from the video at the first post does, except they have a huge library of patterns/templates where-as the method I am using has several funamental patterns which are parameterized and flows get edited via adjusting the parameters within constraints definied by the boundary. One way would be to just test all permutations of all the parameters, extract flows and try and match. Certainly possible.

Some of the ā€œfieldā€ methods or ā€œharmonicā€ methods are more suited for more organic user interaction, with the problem being re-processing the field and keeping it real time. I think thatā€™s why there is so much curiosity about your algorithm!

I think many people are watching what you are doing and thinking the same thing! I know I certainly am. The author of the paper I am working on Tweeted about your work.

https://twitter.com/kenshi84/status/690044092802306048

[video]https://youtu.be/X6RWtL8yd4c[/video]

Some updates with a way for users to iteract. Its not the most intuitive but its a start.

any timetable ?

thanks
happy bl

ASAP. I know this has been a long awaited feature and that it is going to be a huge step for blender retopo. We will have a team meeting next week to set final goals for a release. I would love to have Beta status by July which is about 1yr after I started working on it.

-P