inkscape 0.91 released

Ah, of course. That was not entirely real to me when I read your post. You are correct, and when preparing artwork for screen-based work: export at high rez, and down-scale for best results.

No worries, just didn’t want to give the wrong impression. I am on linux mint now, so I am going to try out the differences compared to my win laptop and my work mac if I can get them all on the same set up.

Have you followed the dev of this tool : http://www.gravit.io

I hadn’t heard of Gravit. I’ll have to check it out next time I do some vectoring.

Can you guys provide your reviews of the app when you post a link to it? Give us a clue.

You can try it in the browser if you weren’t aware.

Haven’t used a vector app in a while for long periods of time.

CorelDraw has always been my standard when it comes to vector graphics. Back in the days all of them were available in the department where I used to work. There was MicroGrafx Designer, Illustrator, Freehand and CorelDraw.

My first taste was MicroGrafx Designer, which was eventually bought by Corel. I was happy with what it could do and would have never left it had I not been given other options. I have seen CorelDraw in another workstation and it looked more complex. It turned out to be more advanced, had tons of features, had better workflow, less clicky and utilized the right-click context sensitivity better than any vector app at the time.

I was then assigned to use Illustrator for compatibility reasons. It felt like it’s still on beta, required more clicks, it crashes, etc. Coreldraw was clearly more advanced while Illustrator needed a lot of catching up to do.

Fast-forward if I have to use a commercial app now, I’d still pick CorelDraw hands down. I would guess Inkscape developers use CorelDraw as the standard, not Illustrator. Only reason why Illustrator became one was because of its association with Photoshop and Adobe… Freehand came late and by that time I was already deeply entrenched with CorelDraw and I didn’t think anything was better. Of course, I played with Freehand, but it didn’t make any lasting impression on me.

Freehand how sad - I still love it today! Corel was good already just not a member of the gang. Illustrator was a pure illustration tool.

Freehand however was both illustration and page design / layout for small page productions.

today thx you have to buy InDesign and AI - freehand had masters for pages Illustrator did not include.

You can select all text objects in Inkscape with the Find/Replace panel, check “Texts” and nothing else and it will find & select every text object in the file

Gravit.io seems really nice!
It’s seemingly lacking booleans which are essential, but in terms of layout and workflow I’m pleased with what they’ve got already. Thanks for linking to it!

Thanks, but that’s not what I meant. I don’t mean as much to find ALL text objects, I mean to select a few, and alter their font or their size all at the same time. Some of the text in the text objects might have font size 12, others font size 11, or 10 0r whatever. but you could change the size of all selected text objects at once and have all of them the same font size/font type/etc again. AFAIK, inkscape doesn’t let you do that, nor does it have multi-page support. Feel free to prove me wrong though, I’d love to have those features :stuck_out_tongue:

For font size: select the text objects, switch to Text Tool controls by hitting F8, then change the size using the dropdown in the text toolbar. Sets the same font size for all selected objects while preserving other properties which may be different (like family). Don’t use the Text and Font dialog (Shift-Ctrl-T) because this one also changes other properties.

Works for me in Inkscape 0.91.

I gave Gravito a test drive for the last 2 days and it kicks Inkscape into the dust
when it comes to layouting
master pages
multi page document
styles
INTERFACE

the pen tools seem to be on-par

Typo tools in are strong

but it lacks
custom fonts
path boolean
text on path
text in path
text frame links

But considering how quickly they developed it - it already achieved more than Inkscape.
You clearly see that they used Freehand as an inspiration as Illustrator is terrible at multi page layouting.
So I am really curious what they will release in half a year or year.
The web version runs pretty stable.

Gravit is all kinds of awful. Cannot read .svg files, poor low contrast (and tiny text/icons) interface, and other annoyances.

Will gladly stick witih inkscape for now as I do not care about multi page support.

Actually, Gravit has been in development for quite some time. Originally it was started as a replacement for Freehand in the long run. You can read up on it here: http://www.freehandforum.org

I have been reading the latest threads, and it seems the Freehand community is incredibly enthusiastic over Affinity Designer. They feel that it comes closest to their dream replacement for Freehand, and it seems the Affinity devs are very helpful in that regard: a freehand importer is already available in Affinity Designer, and still being improved.

The only caveat: only available for Mac. I am thinking about building a cheap mini PC to run MacOsX on.

On a side note, I also love some aspects of curves behaviour and editing in Blender. For example, scaling anchor points is easier, and the mouse merely requires to be close to a anchor point or handle to select and drag it. This is one of my pet peeves in Illustrator - it is SO nitpicky. I personally think that working with curves in Blender is far easier than in Illustrator.

As for Gravit: quite good, but still missing a lot of functionality. If you felt that Gravit’s development is impressive - well, Affinity Designer’s progress is outright awe inspiring. Mind blowing stuff.

By the way, can anyone tell me why the new version of InkScape runs so laggy? Drawing in it feels like a snail crawling through mud. It is almost unusable, while the older version has no issues.

Herbert123,

I don’t have lagging issues here (Arch Linux), for me it feels the same or even a bit faster.

Same here 8 core xeon win 7!

That is strange. The new version uses a new rendering engine that is supposed to be much faster than the old one. It does run faster on bigger files - at least for me.
But I am using it on Linux.

Perhaps it’s a badly compiled build or a windows specific bug?

Ps: I am on manjaro Linux- which is pretty much Arch linux with some gui tools