Improved sapling tree generator

Setting Vertical Attraction to a negative value will do that.

Here you can see that whatever value I take, only part of the branches point toward earth. The last curve segment should be always vertical. Nice would be to have the last segment have exactly the angle given by user with the earth, so that -90Ā° would be falling vertically.

Use Vertical Attraction in combination with the other curvature settings, If your branches start at the correct angle then you should be able to curve them where you want, also increasing the curve resolution could help too.

exporting last level as separate curve object would be huge advantage because then you could use it after covering to mesh as a base for particle leafs. Now i have to do it by hand which takes a lot of time. Unless there is another way to do it? i haven`t discover it.

you can simply convert the whole tree to mesh (curve to mesh). Then you have a separate mesh for each branch. Thus you can simply select the trunk (click on one vertex and use <CTRL>L) and all main-branches which should not contain leaves and hide them. Now select all other branches and distribute the particle leaves.

this is how i do it now, the problem is you have to select (L key) all branches one by one, the secondary branches are no problem because there are like 5-10 but 3th and 4th are like dozens. I guess in the script is coded that leaves appears on last level, so maybe there is a solution to separate that layer as different curve, so then you could convert it to other mesh.

one way is:

1. set bevel resolution to 1 or more
  2. turn on close-tip
  3. convert to mesh
  4. remove doubles
  5. select a vertex at the tip of a branch
  6. select similar: amount of adjacent faces
  7. <control> +/L , to select more

Nice Addonā€¦ However I encountered Some problems :

Iā€™m currently trying to use it to create trees for export in Unreal Engine 4. It requires a mesh (OK), a skeleton (Ok), and the anim (problem) ā€¦ All in FBX format.

Concerning the anim, I canā€™t get it to be recognized. It seems to be a special format. In fact it seems it is not attached to the treeā€™s mesh. However the mesh moves with the armature.

any clue on whats happening and on the workflow to follow to get an good FBX exported animated tree ?

Nice addon (really) :yes:. I Just face a problem with exporting the animated tree : it seems the animation is a special format. I tried to export it in FBX format (skeletal mesh) to use in Unreal Engine 4. Doing this I get the mesh, the skeleton, and even the anim. But the anim doesnā€™t work it seems to have an unique keyframe :(.

So my question is : is it possible to get this animation exported in a more standard way ? If yes how to do it ?:confused:

Nice addon (really) :yes:. I Just face a problem with exporting the animated tree : it seems the animation is a special format. I tried to export it in FBX format (skeletal mesh) to use in Unreal Engine 4. Doing this I get the mesh, the skeleton, and even the anim. But the anim doesnā€™t work it seems to have an unique keyframe :(.

So my question is : is it possible to get this animation exported in a more standard way ? If yes how to do it ?:confused:

Select all the bones in the armature in pose mode and use the Pose / Animation / Bake Action to bake the animation to individual keyframes

Just downloaded your tutorial. Looks really, really good. Thanks!

Thanks for the tutorial, it is very good and detailed.

There is just one thing that I find strange: on the nodes setup, you tend to plug the diffuse texture colour in both the diffuse and the glossy shader. That would give the material a ā€˜metallicā€™ aspect, given that for dielectric material the glossy colour should always be white or light grey.

Thank you GrayTrace for the tutorial and .blend file.

Hi,
many thanks for your comments! Iā€™m happy that it might be of use to you!

There is just one thing that I find strange: on the nodes setup, you tend to plug the diffuse texture colour in both the diffuse and the glossy shader. That would give the material a ā€˜metallicā€™ aspect, given that for dielectric material the glossy colour should always be white or light grey.

Good point ā€¦ donā€™t know why I did that. Iā€™ll try out to use the white color input instead. Thanks!

Awesome, thanks for making the tutorial.
I hope you donā€™t mind, but I noticed some things you left out or werenā€™t quite correct. Of course I donā€™t expect you to cover every detail in the tutorial. I may still make my own documentation, or even change things to make it easier to use.

Thanks again.

Hello Aaron, I am syncing your GIT repository for the improved-sapling-tree-generator and Iā€™m asking you if the version number as well as the Blender version should be updated to the currently implemented version in the \addons Blender GIT repository, which are version 0.3.2 and Blender version 2.77.0. At the moment yours shows Version 0.3.1 and Blender version 2.64.0.

Thank you for your valuable work on improving this important add-on.

Harvester, Iā€™ll bump the version number on my github, but the version recently added to blender by Brendon Murphy (meta-androcto) had some changes made that differ from my own version. I donā€™t know what blender version it will work back to.

I know that youā€™re maintaining your own version of it (thatā€™s why I sync it on GIT). I thought they were almost aligned, thatā€™s the reason for my question. Whatever version youā€™ll decide to continue to work on it will be fine. Thanks.

Thanks Aaron_b for creating this improved sapling generator, itā€™s absolutely awesome, and there are so many new features that itā€™s baffling :slight_smile:

edit: I deleted a question that I only asked because Iā€™m an idiot. Thanks again for the add-on !