I found a bug?

Stan Pancakes, thanks :slight_smile: Scaling up this is lifehack, but not the solution:)
And in 3ds max object with size 1mm looks good, just like a large.

I tried this, I have not seen any effect it

I tried this, I have not seen any effect it

Have you tried it? :slight_smile:
I tried, there is no difference :frowning:

for me it’s not a big problem, most of the time I model in orthographic view, but switch to perspect view and the nightmare begins. You can see yourself on the previous viewport screenshot

I have tried this too, and… :slight_smile:

But generally, lifehack or no, modeling on a larger scale is still better than fighting with those issues.

I tried repeat and I did it, but I still need to scale their objects.

better is when not need scaled, and when are the right scale units :slight_smile:

If you set the scale like Stan said before you add the mesh then it looks ok. Here at least :slight_smile:

I agree
but my job is not to add boxes to the scene :slight_smile:
it is not suitable for me.
I create the scene and modeling given the size of the real objects.
This is not my whim, it is a necessity, I import the previously created objects, export new objects.
If scale them all, watch out for their size, apply the scale for all - It’s a nightmare.
No, I will never do that.
The problem is not in scale units, the problem is if you zoom too close to the small object, geometry becomes transparent.

What you’re describing might be a viewport issue… but really, scaling is the answer (hence the benefit of using Blender units). You say that other software displays small scales fine, and that’s likely true. But what’s also likely to be true is that they’re scaling, too. It’s just done transparently so users don’t notice. A possible solution here (and one that’s been requested in the past) would be to configure the baseline unit for each unit system. Metric currently works with the meter as the baseline. If you could set the baseline to, say, a centimeter, you’d have reduced display issues. You’d still have to scale up your model to that baseline, though.

I think guessed.
Blender somehow in a different way sizes uses.
Other packages are “cheaters”, they automatically scales the scene, depending on the selected units.

I have to repeat advice already given: Set your Scene scale to 0.01 or so. That shouldn’t change any of the internal math, but the units will now be displayed differently, e.g at 0.01 scale 1 BU = 1cm. That way, you’ll have no problem zooming in on a 1mm large object. Note that when you change this setting, all the objects in your scene will also be scaled, which explains why you didn’t see any effect.

In any case, here are hardware limits to floating point and zbuffer precision and you need to have reasonable clipping planes (both near and far, keep both close to avoid Z fighting).

There used to be a bug in the Constant detail size in the Dyntopo mode, which I reported. They fixed it. But I would have wished they made the circle at least three times as big in the 30% default. Or an option to set the size at certain percentage. It’s hard to estimate sizes at this radius size in 30 units increments.

I know you can enter the size by pressing Shift+D, then size number, so I can live with it. No problem. Just wondering.

https://developer.blender.org/T42613

yes, the difference is big, it’s not very useful

Shift-D is like Shift-F for percentage values in master right now.

I hope “Relative detail mode” can have that numeric feedback too, at least some day in the future :smiley:

While you’re at it, you might as well do the same thing with Relative detail (which others obviously prefer) to make it consistent. :slight_smile: Thanks.

Hello, guys! It seems that i found serious bug in hair system.

. On the left side cube’s rotation along the hair is correct, blender version 2.71. The right side opened in 2.74 gives wrong result. Don’t know how to fix it. Here is a blend file https://www.sendspace.com/file/c4aywq

No, pixel values do not get that because size corresponds to what you see on the screen. Brush size is the same, in a WYSIWYG fashion. The edge detail is going to have the same size as what you see on screen.

Edit:

As always I will remind people to only use the thread to -confirm- bugs and then report them in the tracker if confirmed. Dumping some info here and assuming developers will fix it is wrong.

I was trying this today as an alternative to baking for small camera moves, as even with the baketool its such a hassle it’s quicker just to render normally.

1. set view to camera.
  2. go to edit mode on the mesh
  3. project uv from view
  4. render the view
  5. apply that render as a texture to the mesh, using the uv map you created in 3.

It actually worked for the shapes, but for the plane on the ground the mapping is miles off, even though it likes up perfectly in the UV editor (see screenshot)

Surely this isn’t intended behavior?

@forferdeilig: Subdivide the plane a bunch, Project From View with just one big face will provide huge distortion, this has been discussed multiple times, and actually quite recently in the support section as well.

Surely this isn’t intended behavior?

It’s the expected behavior, and it’s actually fairly common problem in CG, affecting many UV layouts. The reason is that you don’t have a real quad patch here, but two triangles. The UV coordinates are interpolated across those, causing distortion as illustrated here:

The more you subdivide your plane, the less distortion you will have. While the renderer in theory could support quad patches directly, just using triangle subdivision is the simple and practical solution.

alt + right click a UV = instant crash on windows 8.1

Blender 2.74.5 64

confirmed and reported

From another thread:

Well, that’s not a Blender issue per se, is it? :slight_smile: Seeing that texture packing has changed, they’d likely fix it when 2.75 is released.