So I think I found a glsl display bug:

bug blend file:

My system specs/hardware:
Processor: AMD FX™-8350 Eight-Core Processor, 4000 Mhz
Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 ATX AM3+
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 3GB WINDFORCE
blender version: 2.74 64 bit

Seems that a bug has been introduced recently. I think its connected to loops.
In the latest build. ddb5f96, simply adding a plain, and “ctrl r” to loop cut is enough to crash blender out on my system.
Win XP 32 bit. SP3. 550 TI.

This ones got me scratching my head. I opened a ticket on it. A dev checked it (Bastien) and couldent reproduce it, so I messed around with some addons and seemed to fix it. Closed the ticket. Then it came back intermitently, so I decided on a completely fresh instal.
Still have the problem.
2.74 works ok. The latest build bot crashes on loop cut or loop select. Tried altering every thing I can think of to no avail.
One thing I have noticed is it dosent crash blender imediatly. You can scroll the mouse wheel to increase the number of cuts, and press the alt key for smoothing.
It only crashes as the cursur aproaches the edge.
Even tried reinstalling the mouse driver still no luck.
Does anyone still use win xp 32 bit to double check.

What add-ons did you disable?

That’s not a bug, more of a expectation vs. reality thing :slight_smile: Tangent vectors for your model are calculated based on texture coordinates. So if you change UVs, you also change tangents -> you ruin the normal map. That’s why you shouldn’t, for example, use a “plane” normal map on arbitrary objects without planning ahead: the actual direction of tangents may not line up with the ones the map was baked with, thus giving you incorrect shading.

But the thing is I’m not changing the UV maps I’m just selecting a different one to look at. The normal map is told in the texture settings to use Uvmap not Uvmap.001.

Hi Fweeb, origionally it seemed that it was the mira tools addon folder that I had forgotten to copy across to the new build bot.
Then, as soon as I closed the bug report the problem came back.
Even after a complete reinstall. Deleted all my blender programs and user directories. Even removed the addon contrib folder, it still occurs.
If anyone else can confirm it I will reopen the bug report.

Glad to report that the loop cut and select problem has been sorted in the latest build. f553aba. Campbell has been doing quite a bit of work in that area and it now works as expected.
Unfortunatly, and Im probably going to start sounding like a troll.
I have been trying to see what the new material ordering buttons that I read about are like.
On opening the material preview tab, to see if they were located there. Instant crash. This is with cycles.
With Blender render, just adding a new material causes an instant crash. This probabley down to the start up file having the preveiw tab open allready, where as in cycles I have the tab closed.
This is not a problem for me and the way I work, but I think the devs will jump straight on this one. If I dont see a fix later today I will post a proper bug report.
Incidentally, what do the material reordering buttons look like anyway. So far I havent been able to find them.

I had this problem also. Has been fixed in the latest build from builder.blender.org

Just a reminder for people who confirm the bugs to also report them, we are not treating this thread as a bug reporting thread - all fixed issues have been reported to the tracker first.

Many times I came across this “bug”
loop tools.
Choose a piece of geometry, loop tools - circle and the selected geometry disappears, rotate the viewport, and all geometry will disappear!
Please confirm, if confirmed then send in bug report
Blend File - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-dsnS4utiOLcWlKbXMza0xaUmc/view?usp=sharing

I had a quick look to your file i find out that size matter :wink: Your model is pretty small and looptools is getting confused and blender as well, I remember a bug i have reported about knife cut and Campbell had said that my model was pretty small.

So after the model had disappeared home key will bring back into focus but those selected faces got deleted some how when i scale your model “s-10” i got looptools working well. I don’t if this is a bug or not.

@erickBlender, thanks but why is too small? size = 5 cm, like in real life.

Since i m not developer i have guessed that some developers when they tested Blender function they tested with the default cube note that the default cube is 2m, so something might work well with default cube but failed in real life scenario. Since that bug i usual keep dimensions big when modeling and then scale everything down before using Cycles. This is just my guess may a dev will come clarify all this…

thank you
if the situation not cleared up, then tomorrow I’ll inform our developers

Check location of the mesh.
Always remember in object mode Ctrl+A and Ctrl+A and some more Ctrl+A.

I know why this happens.
It happens because the selected geometry has little distortion, in this case along the X axis.
If you do so:

1. select geometry
  2. press S+X+0
  3. LoopTools - Circle
    everything goes without error.
    Here is another example, everything is the same scenario, but with a slightly different result

hi guys.
I know that this maybe not a bug, but this inconvenience.
description of the problem:

1. I have a small object (20cm or smaller).
  2. zoom in closer viewport.
  3. Start Cliping view set to 1 mm (or 0.001 blender units).
  4. Turn on perspective view.
    geometry becomes transparent and it is not very useful.
    If you switch to the orthographic view, everything looks fine, but worth switching to perspective view and geometry again become transparent.
    How to avoid this effect it?
    Scaling up\down geometry is not a solution for me. I have a scene where there are many objects and they all made in real scale.
    Scaling up\ down geometry is not useful for me.

Blend File: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-dsnS4utiOLRjgzNzJkUVdxa3M/view?usp=sharing

Scaling up is the solution, no mater what modelling package you’re using (Blender/Max/Maya…). It’s always best to model on a larger size and then scale down to avoid these types of issues.
You can try parenting your object to another and then scaling the parent up while you’re modelling, so that it becomes easy to scale down later.
What might also help is (since you’re working with such tiny objects) to set the units Scale to 0.01, so that 1 unit = 1cm, instead of 1m as you have it currently. You’ll need to adjust the grid scale in Display panel as well, otherwise the perspective view grid will remain on 1m steps, which is not that useful when dealing with centimetres.

Also, try reducing the overall clipping distance. I.e. clipping end of 1km is really way too much when working on such scale. If you’re reducing clipping start to 1mm, it’s best to set clipping end to several meters, or tens of meters, but definitely not 1km.

so3Datel - maybe it could help to change the lens angle in the View tab in the properties shelf to eg 200 instead of the default 35?