How to make Evee render AO texture?

Does anyone have an idea how to recreate AO texture input for EVee?
I mean same way AO texture works in Unreal default material ? By doing extra shadowing but not under direct light ? I mean not simply multiplying it over color texture?

To have more or less close to Unreal look. Before I used specular scalar input but now it’s gone.

Now I an trying to mix occlusion shader on top of principled but it looks nothing like I would expect.

A basic visual example of what you’re after would be good.

1 Like

If I understand correctly, you are trying to increase the AO for only a specific material?

If that’s what you mean, you would need to use compositing. I would output the AO pass and use the cryptomatte to layer it over a specific material or object in the compositor.

Not necessarily, that’s why I need to see a shader example.

I just want to get more or less close looking view-port vs a game I work for which is using similar PBR material Unreal does.
Ambient occlusion is just a standard texture in metalicPBR style of materials in games.

Before I used specular scalar. Not exactly AO but looked close .
testbox4.7z (2.8 MB)

Ok, I’ll repeat because I’m honestly trying to assist: don’t ask me to imagine a shader you’ve seen and describe it to me with words.

I’ve never used unreal, and probably haven’t played whatever game you’re thinking of.

So. Need a basic image, showing the shading result you’re after. A picture. Not a description of a picture.

2 Likes

I uploaded a test box blend file . I understand blender shaders are OSL based and intended for Cycles for the first hand , not Evee or any game.

I don’t want anything perfect. Just a way to connect AO texture somewhere because I use our custom to game exporter that needs to trace down tgas in Blender material .

Before specular scalar was an ok slot . Now I can’t find a good one . So I would appreciate any advice. If I simply multiply AO over color my exporter will be confused because it will trace two textures on color input instead of one.

Since you mention the old Specular, perhaps using the same workflow with IOR Level will give you the results you want. If that doesn’t work, you need to go back to thorn’s request for an image.

I’ve just downloaded your test box, and it isn’t giving what he asked for. Show us an image of what you want to see, not the file where you aren’t getting the desired result. You specify Unreal, so post an image showing how AO works in Unreal, a render of something you did previously with the specular input that mimics it, or some other example of AO that suits your aesthetic. If it looks how you want in cycles, show us a render of that and say “like this, but in EVEE”. Something to compare against when trying to solve your issue.

Without a reference to work towards attempts to aid you could come up with an AO effect that looks great and works for some use cases, but might be wrong for yours.

1 Like