how to make a Tileable Texture starting from 3D objects

Wouldn’t texture work better since you could use several textures?

Do you happen to have an example .blend handy ?

I use vertex weight because the realtime feedback and you can use several vertex groups anyway. but you can use what you prefer.
sorry but now Im writing from Ipad., I cant send anything.

cheers.

Oh, I didn’t think I could do that. I am guessing for finer control emitter has to be be generously subdivided ?

That’s no problem. Holiday season after all :slight_smile: I’d appreciate if you could show us how to work with several vertex weights/groups for several particle systems on the same emitter when you have time/at your PC.

Thanks!

So I gave it another spin and it doesn’t quite work. As soon as I begin messing with randomness and other settings, tiling breaks.

Here is the setup where tiling doesn’t break no matter what you do :slight_smile:

yes, you have to reload the vertex groups manually… I noticed that too, I also reported the bug.

so using group instance it works… interesting… thanks!

What vertex groups? I didn’t see any in your particles example :confused:

yes, sorry, I made a sample file using your instance system + my particle system. :slight_smile:

vweight.blend (677 KB)

Cool stuff! Thanks.

Do you know by chance if there is a way to prevent particles-objects from intersecting?

placing them manually :wink:

So, here is my first attempt:

Now I just need to figure out how to bake AO and normal map, since the scene is soooo heavy that I am not sure I’ll be able to bake to a quad plane (as selected to active).

coool stuff!!
congrats

check my tutorial for that! I also covered the bake part, hint: I dont use bake. never.

Alright, I hit a dead end - I either run out of VRAM and CUDA crashes, or I end up with hundreds of millions polygons and Blender hangs, or I end up with 10Gb OBJ file and run out of HDD space.

Finally, decimated to about 1k polys for each rock, and used Cycles on CPU to bake these (had to redo the layout too):

Since polycount of each rock is low, Pointiness attribute doesn’t really do good job. Is there a way to render edges nicely (or curvature map) ?

Thanks!

coool map, also try to convert particle system into real object, this can save a LOT of memory usage and viewport performace :wink:

Actually when I converted it into mesh, I got 34M tris. Times 9 will give so many tris that my PC will choke.

Btw, I managed to render out AOL map with my scene that contains higher poly rocks (each rock is around 15-20k tris). It was slower, but looked better.

I just realized that my normal maps needs to be +X-Y+Z. How do I adjust normal maps material to achieve that?

Btw, here is in-game look:

you do it in photoshop or what ever, invert the Green channel

I did that in GIMP, but I’d rather not mess with the process. I guess I can just split image into components, invert G and recombine components?

dont know ingimp, but go to the channel panel, you should have red green blu channels, select the green one and invert the values, (in photoshop is ctrl+i