Golden Hind

That is called seagull perspective. :eyebrowlift: Looking great!

Lol, thanks pcolapat

-added ladder on the side of the ship
-created some folded sails near the back of the ship
-created some low poly seagulls and used boids to distribute them (they fly towards the islands)
-added sun lamp which improved the look of the ship but destroys everything else
-added more islands in the background (not happy at all with any of them)
-got rid of clouds because you can tell they weren’t part of the scene

-Ditched 2 of the mountain type islands and tried creating a small, sand/beach island
-added the treasure chest
-added some foam on the ocean

As soon as the render finished I realized I’ve never had depth of field on… I think that that was one thing that was making me hate the background so much.

This project seem to have a lot of potential! Yet, however it looks most lika a plastic toy. (Yes, you should focus on one thing at a time and take modelling first.) What reference images are you using? For inspiration you could take a look at this wip thread: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=43&t=1073225&page=8&pp=15&highlight=ship

While i like the model, there is one detail in standing rigging which is prominent and wrong:

It would be fine if you use straight curve segments there.

Keep going, nice model indeed!
Edit: one more - keep horizon line straight; even on stormy weather, if you are able to see it its flat.

@tobbew Right now I only use diffuse shaders for the ship, i believe i said they were place holders for now. I am thinking of moving everything but the ship into a new scene so i don’t get distracted

I have a folder of about 30 images, half of them are blueprints and the other half are photos of either the model ship or the replica. Thanks for the link. Although im not trying to build the ship piece by piece (and maybe not as detailed) like they are, i think this will be very helpful.

@eppo That part has been bugging me too but I’ve always been able to find more “important” problems or just plain forget about modifying that part. I’ll change it right now. I think some of the rigging right above where the sails go also need work, they don’t look natural (there is slack but the ropes are going almost horizontally and the pulley is just floating in the air like the rope is being pulled tight)

thanks for the tips guys :slight_smile:

Edit: I think the horizon doesn’t look flat because of the camera angle if I move it up you should be able to see it get flatter. Also I have another camera that does a turntable, u will be able to see more of the ocean and less sky

So i split the scene into two now, the first one being the ship and ocean. This is where I will work on the ship. Scene 2 will be the ship, ocean and background which will be done at a later time. I also started working on compositing a bit and in my next couple of renders will have it turned off so you have an easier time seeing the modifications to the ship.

Other changes:
-made a low poly version of my cannon and placed it on the deck
-fixed a bit of the rigging

Next thing to do would be area under the quarter deck(if thats what its called), as you can see in the second img its just an extrusion. I need to add a door, maybe windows, etc. I also have to go and make sure everything its touching the ground and other placement changes.

After that I think i can start adding detail, starting at the front of the ship and working my way back.

Here’s todays progress.

I did render turntable but with only 100 samples and 50% renders size the quality was horrible. I might render a better quality video while im at work tomorrow.

-Added ornaments to the balcony at the back of the ship
-Added better windows at the back
-Created sliding doors behind the wheel (this isnt on the real ship but i think it needed something there)
-Modified ladder on the side
-Moved some objects on the quarter deck
-Area below quarter deck now has a door, buckets of cannon balls, stack of barrels, and mops
-Made support struts along the main deck walls
-Slight modification to the cylinders that hold up the rails
-The row boat is now secured by rope although it was crudely done
-worked on the balcony a bit

Attachments

Spent an hour remaking the helm, capstan and bell

I’ve been playing Starcraft 2 the last couple of days so I’ve havent done too much work on the ship. I did end up spending some time looking at the ships in Assassins Creed and other games looking at the firgure heads.

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/cb20131112085156/assassinscreed/images/f/fe/Assassin’s_Creed_IV_Black_Flag-Ship-Jackdaw-_Figurehead_1_by_max_qin.jpg
http://static2.wikia.nocookie.net/cb20131112085215/assassinscreed/images/a/a0/Assassin%27s_Creed_IV_Black_Flag-Ship-Jackdaw-_Figurehead_by_max_qin.jpg
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-f33qA_cjNKU/UkRHpPVOceI/AAAAAAAAAfs/0yAd7kAQ7o8/s1600/Ship_ShivajiLargeFigure_01b.jpg

I think right now the third link is my favourite both in terms of the way it looks and how easily I would be able to create it (or one similar). I’ve been following AlinB’s WIP thread (http://www.blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?322673-Deer-of-Nature) and If I was as good at sculpting as he is then i would do the figurehead from the first link.

I grew up seeing the Golden Hind every day - a silver model of it was the symbol of my local television company Westward Television (based in Plymouth, Devon, England). It’s wonderful to see your model and I think it’s absolutely beautiful. Congratulations. I keenly look forward to your next update.

Glad you like my work. I might do an update this weekend when I have some free time.

Took another go at the sails. I’ve tried modelling them and simulating them. I wasnt pleased with either so i tried to model the basic shape of the sail then used the cloth simulation to add the wrinkles and better drooping. You can see the difference between just modelling (left sail) and the combination (right sail). There is still much work to be done to it but I think it at the very least will be a place holder.

Here you can see some of the things i changed and added detail too, ie the door, wheel, better rails and that window thingy right beside the door.

A better view of the ship

I added the other sails as well as the ropes that keep them bundled up. I think adding the sails really helped, now if i can just think of/create a figurehead…

I was showing some of my friends this render and they said that they cant tell if it is a toy boat of a full size ship. They suggested adding a character, in order to help give perspective. At the moment I only have 3 characters: Kara from the blender cookie training series and Sora and a Heartless Shadow from Kingdom hearts. The Kingdom Hearts characters were part of my last project so i believe they were better modelled but I can see Kara on a ship but I would have to find and update her.

I think once the ship is done and I start working on the scene, I’ll add a character.

Amazing! Is it in cycles

Yup its in cycles. 300 samples with placeholder diffuse shaders

Today I spent about 3 hours UV unwrapping most of the ship. I still have 60 objects left to unwrap, some of them are duplicates so its a but less than 60. I also have to convert all the ropes to meshes and then unwrap them all nicely.

Spent a little while playing around with the textures, trying to determine what type of wood goes where. I’ve haven’t touched everything that you see in this picture, ive only really focused on the deck, masts, sides of the ship and the balcony at the back. I like the way the masts, bottom of the haul and the inside walls look. not sure about the rest of it. Im also just using an image texture plus a bump map so once i start playing around with the materials more it should look better.

Right now my texturing is pretty laughable but I hope to improve it as I work on this.

The male character is Sora from kingdom hearts, you can find a bunch of images on google. For the girl i followed the training course from Blender Cookie (http://cgcookie.com/blender/cgc-courses/2010-blender-training-series-intro-to-character-modeling/) it has the character sheets for the entire character.

Nice work on your character, one thing that you might want to add is some thickness to the clothing. you can use the solidify modifier or fake it by pulling the ends of the clothing into the body.

Sorry but I will probably create a pirate character myself.