GIMP 2.9 is out !

No, probably not. Why would they, if it is so much easier to find a whole other program to do so? On Windows and OSX, there are many other alternatives at low cost that are more mature, and even the Adobe Cloud is affordable for those that need to rely on photoshop actions and presets.

And if it were so likely, I still say it would have happened already. Same has been said of Cinepaint, same as a lot of other projects. As popular of buzzword ‘fork’ seems to be, it isn’t something that is easily done without real motivation. It is open source, and same as Blender is available to dig into - but that doesn’t mean much to the normal everyday enduser - they want to download and go, that’s it.

“not to be negative but how can people work with Gimp when it has such drastic screen refresh issues.
I hoped that the new version might fix it.”

Actually I find that problem with 3ds max and photo shop more than gimp. Why I have started learning blender after 20x years of using max and photo shop I finally got tired of developers stuffing the program full of unnecessary functions while neglecting to fix old bugs. And then charge you an arm and a leg for it.

The only times i have “screen refresh issues” is if i am working on a image that is 16384 x 8192 pixels RGB or bigger

I tested this on Win 10 only.

For OS X I have better graphic apps that out perform GIMP instantly.

GIMP has no refresh problems, Gtk has them. I use several Qt applications on Windows and the only sign that they have not been built with something more native like MFC are Qt DLLs in the installation directory.

The real problem GIMP has? Alexander Prokoudine. For more info, just check the sad telenovela in which he inflicted the idiotic removal of Save As in any format different from XCF on a crowd of GIMP users begging to keep it (b.t.w. Krita has Save As e.g. PNG).

I don’t seem to have any severe performance issues either (Arch Linux). I run KDE and GTK2 apps UI tends to be a bit clunky (Inkscape is similar) but they’re usable.

That was Peter Sikking, the UI guy they used to have. I’m not even sure Prokoudine does development. The reason for that change is explained here.

Best way to make GIMP better?

Give them money so they can hire more developers.

Donate: http://www.gimp.org/donating/

I don’t have performance issues either, but I’m not running a piece of development software that is unoptimized. Running GIMP 2.9 and expecting it to work flawlessly is like running a nightly blender build, and expecting it to not blow on your face.

does anyone know if it’s available for OSX 10.6.8? When I go to the downloads section it only allows me to download 2.8.14

I tested both 2.9 and also have 2.8. Gimp is seriously slow on Windows from my past experience over the years.

Interesting that for some it runs fine - curious what the reason could be.

Comeinandburn, why not look into Pixelmator or Affinity Photo? Both kill Gimp instantly specifically Affinity Photo.

both good choices, although I’m doubtful any will run on this old OS. To be quite honest I was just interested in taking a look at the new tools… I suppose I’ll need to see it on Windows.

Wow, huge updates to GIMP as of recent, will try again. My last experience with GIMP was… bad.
I have Photoshop and I’m curious to see how the new Gimp compares. I doubt it can beat the raw power of Photoshop though.

So people prefer to think that some people just use a “crappy program” because they are some kind of fanboys, instead of thinking that perhaps the program works as crappy only in your OS. Nice!

Here is a screen recording of GIMP 2.9 in KDE (Kubuntu). You keep in mind that the screen capture program is recording and compressing simultaneously. Some artifacts that can be seen is by screen recording, this does not appear when you use GIMP.

Gimp 2.8.x had a very bad bug for window OS that was fixed starting with Gimp 2.8.6 , it was source of image tearing when zooming/panning along with heavy slowdown during that process.

But since Gimp 2.8.6 i never had any kind of performance problem anymore, not sure why you are experiencing such slowness and on my old 32bits system i don’t have that.
Could it be a 64bits gimp problem, i don’t see what else it could be then ?

edit : now for experimental 2.9 , from the few i read for window users that managed to run it, it seems to be rather slow currently , though if they go all the way :
http://libregraphicsworld.org/blog/entry/gegl-gets-mipmaps
That non-experimental 2.10 (2.9 will only be beta and not a stable production version) will certainly run much better than 2.9

Except I often use various nightly builds from the Blender buildbot and a number of them can be quite stable (even though they technically have a few more bugs than official release builds).

If I have a crash with what should be a basic operation, I report it and it’s usually fixed in the next build or the one after that.

Has anyone else noticed that there aren’t that many FOSS as successful as blender?

From what I’ve read in xrg’s link, GIMP is now one of those pieces of software where you export to a format that is saved as a file (of any name you want) and keep the working file as the internal format.

GIMP is not the only software that does this (nor did it invent the concept), it’s actually becoming more common (and where an image is imported rather than opened). Genetica 4 works this way, Mixcraft 7 works this way, MapZone works this way, and that’s just the applications on my machine. I guess for usability’s sake it might be seen as a downside though (I understand the want and the utility of ‘save as’ for tasks that do not require anything more than simple RGBA information).

Bold question. Are you speaking of gfx apps or FOSS in general? If you think back to public domain and scene releases dating back from mid 80’s you will find lots of successful software and OS’s.

There are a few things I’d like to do before building anything for Windows. Growing old and dying surrounded by grandchildren would be one of them.

Do you have a problem with me, jpb06? Otherwise you wouldn’t make a knowingly incorrect accusation.

Also, what is this GIMP foundation thing people keep talking about?

If it´s not the software, how come other software do the same tasks just fine on the same OS? Sounds like someone´s an OS fanboy :wink: