GIMP 2.9 is out !

Sounds kinda good to hear, I’ll probably stick with the current gimp version im using. Honestly at this point I only use it for some text stuff and batch editing for web developing with the Bimp add-on. I imagine with the new updates that Bimp won’t work with new versions.

Development is definitely moving super slow and just seems to be playing catch up. I is really nice to see that the transform, rotate and scale are being combined into a single tool, that is something most programs have had for a long time that has always caused working in Gimp to be much slower.

I for one am grateful for this release and for the direction the development is going.

Krita is an explosive painter and now animator, and Gimp is a great photo and texture manipulator.

Great, just wish they would fix the horrific interface!

Libre Graphics World published an article about the development state of GIMP like a week ago if anyone wants to know what really is going on. I’d like to see GIMP get organized and speed up development. Krita runs circles around it for digital painting, but Linux still needs a really powerful image editor.

Anyway, I’ve been playing with it, and all the new stuff works really well. It seems pretty stable too for a dev release, so I might just try running it over 2.8. Unified transform alone makes it more convenient.

gimp and blender are similar age . a conspiracy
!

GIMP is going really slow because GEGL porting take a lot of time. If that’s already finished, GEGL will provide node based non-destructive editing on GIMP version 3.2++. This is going to be really awesome because I think even Photoshop doesn’t have that kind of features.

Sorry, double post!

I just gave it a Gimp test drive:

make a screen shot
paste that into a new document
move the layer

observe the screen lag

uninstall Gimp.

not to be negative but how can people work with Gimp when it has such drastic screen refresh issues.
I hoped that the new version might fix it.

I.e. after the release of 2.10 (nobody knows when) and after the successful port to Gtk 3 (GIMP 3.0). I wonder how many of the readers of this forum will still be alive by then.

Same story here

honestly i don’t take gimp or sometimes krita seriously anymore(although the krita part could just be me)

I use GIMP on linux exclusively, always had issues on windows.

Oh so it’s not abs. shit in linux?

before 2005 the MinGW builds i would do worked just fine on Windows

the only issue i had was with the Visual Studio build of the whole development toolchain and getting GTK to build in Visual Studio

Nope, on Linux Mint using the single window interface with all the downloaded plugins it is a breeze to use. Combined with Rawtherapee, it handles a lot for me.

Wow, exactly the same with me. Except I keep it installed for certain file conversion tasks.

Is the performance really that bad, even Paint Shop Pro 7 (which I use) has decent performance with screen captures and it’s almost 15 years old.

Why has no one attempted a fork since Cinepaint disappeared anyway (especially with the relative lack of really powerful photo editors when it comes to FOSS, and by that matter Linux itself)? It could even be something that the Krita Foundation can take up as they have experience in this area.

A fork is not that easy, even though it gets brought up every time there is a release. If it were, it would have already happened, right?

Cinepaint uses a CUSTOM!!! yes cap and bold version of GTK1
it was the very LAST version of gtk1 and explicitly wrote for Cinepaint ( filmgimp)

I don’t see the problem cekuhnen is observing in current 2.8 version, i’m using it regularly and it’s fast and responsive on my old system.
Now i can’t say for the 2.9 experimental as the 32bits version is simply crashing.

Maybe it’s a Mac only problem , as i remember some mac users having a very bad time when trying Gimp ?
I guess unfortunately there’s no Mac users amongst very few developers left on the Gimp team to fix their Mac build.

We’re very lucky with Blender to have the devs having the manpower to maintain it on every OS.

But I would think it would be much easier to have the critical mass needed for the success of the fork compared to say a fork of Blender.

It’s not as complex, doesn’t cover as many areas, has disenfranchised far more users and developers when looking at a proportion of its entire base, has very obvious issues with the development paradigm (far more so than Blender), is already being run by a Foundation which is much smaller than the BF, is almost down to a one man show, ect…

Heck, I would think there are more people and more developers who have jumped off the GIMP bandwagon citing frustration with how the project is being run than the number of people who are currently on it.