Gaivota Rocking Chair BI

@ThorntonStrolia: Thanks! This is probably not the final pillow design, not sure if that is going to be the final pillow :stuck_out_tongue: I am using BI at the moment, but that texture setup just gave me some ideas :slight_smile:

@harleynut97: I’m loving the dark floor as well! :slight_smile: I haven’t given up on the fringe yet, I’ll more than likely add it here soon :smiley:

@minoribus: Thank you!

OOOOHHHHHHHH, thats right, I knew that, sorry, lapse in memory… but yeah, I am certain you could use that to get an idea of some things to do with it. It really is looking good. Might be nice to see a little more pinching at the corners of the pillow, considdering how thick it is. anyways. Im glad it gave you some ideas. Just figured Id throw it out there as an idea.

@ThorntonStrolia: Ha! No biggy! I might mess with the pillow a bit more :slight_smile:

For now, I finally got some fringe that I liked. Pretty basic settings from the Fur Lab, just changed a few things :slight_smile:

C’est tre beau…

I like the fringe. its nice. A needle point normal map on that pillow might go well with the patern you chose. Could probably bake one in blender prety easily because of how tight the stitches are. The pillow seems just a little too smooth and it makes the patern seem like a bump map. Not nesecarily bad, being a “3D” patern, but a “knit” or “needle point” normal might help bring even more realism to it.

I agree on the pillow. It is very irritating that it looks 3D, isn’t 3D, and somehow is nevertheless 3D - if you know what I mean :slight_smile:

@ThorntonStrolia and minoribus: Thanks guys! I’m going to work on the pillow today, maybe sculpt it a bit more, but for now, here’s what I think is my finished floor. Turned it up to 60 samples this time, but it will probably have 100-120 for the finished render when it’s all said and done. I also tightened the gaps and bevel in the planks a bit :slight_smile:

The floor looks great, even at 60 samples (I thought you were using BI? ) Curious on the following…

-moulding and casing … are those staying like they are material wise?
-It will be interesting to see what you will ultimately do with the endtable, looks like your starting to add a material.

I think I would find something to put on that bottom shelf… we you planning that?

@harleynut97: Thank you! It is BI, the samples are under the Mirror settings:

The Gloss Amount set to less than 1 gives the mirror blurred reflections, the lower the number, the more blurry it gets. The equivalent of this in Cycles is the roughness in the Glossy settings(0 = total mirror, more than 0 = more blur).
The Threshold and Samples sort of work together. Low threshold = less noise, more samples = less noise. They also depend on the gloss amount of course…the more blur, the more samples/less threshold you need. :slight_smile:
I have a bump on the baseboards, but I will be adding a better mat to it. I was thinking of using the “dirty vertex” on it as well. Certainly going to put something on the bottom shelf too, probably today, once I get my pillow sorted out. Not sure about the table yet, I have three different ones I am playing around with :smiley:

A beautiful floor. It looks very realistic. Just out of curiosity and because you mentioned the BI samples. What kind of shadow at how many samples are you using for this at the moment and - of course the obligatory question - how long does it take to render this with BI? :slight_smile:

@minoribus: Thanks! :slight_smile: Here’s my settings:

Sun
Color: Yellowish
Energy: 5
Shadow Samples: 8(for now, probably higher for final render)
Soft Size: .160
Constant QMC

Area light
Color: Bluish
Energy: 4
Samples: 8(see above samples for sun)
Constant QMC
Size: 3(bigger the size, softer the shadows)
Also, the distance was turned WAY down, because it is right outside the window. I have it at 2.4 now.

Hemi light
Color: Bluish
Energy: .2
No shadow obviously

In the Scene tab, I have it set to RRT for now, the Gamma set to 2.2, and the Exposure set to 0

Render times are pretty good as of now, considering my ancient, weak PC. I have it at right around an hour as it sits, and the final might take two once I crank everything up. Blurred reflections are the killer, but it’s still faster than Cycles. Faking GI in Direct Lighting usually is, no matter the engine, it just takes a little more trickery to do. The renders without blurred reflections are taking around 10 minutes.

Pillow:

Thanks for the explanation of the render settings, Vicky. You really tickle the last bit out of BI. The pillow looks good. The new three dimensional structure fits better to the strands.

'…houston…we have fluff…repeat…fluffy goodness has appeared."

@James_Z: Haha! Thanks! :slight_smile: I wanted you to be comfortable! :smiley:

As usual, you blow my mind with what you can do with BI. It’s funny how people tend to think that you are using Cycles. I love that, and your art.

The pillow is looking good.

@minoribus: Thanks again! :slight_smile:

@marc dion: Thank you very much! :slight_smile: I like the challenge :smiley:

Update!
Had to remake the chair back and seat(been putting it off), the previous version in all of these renders is a converted bezier curve, and of course that isn’t a good thing when smoothing/texturing. It was also preventing me from adding gloss to the chair material, which I want to be a little less glossy version of the floor. Fixed now though. I only have shots of the back, but the seat is the same thing with a different curve modifier of course. :slight_smile: Old one is on the right:

In the scene:

Now I can finally get cracking at this thing and finish it soon, hopefully :slight_smile:

Update!
So…the new chair is textured and done, I think. I added a little gloss to the chair, but I am still playing with all materials, and lighting for that matter. I also rounded off the sides of the chair back and seat. I’m going to darken the shelves in the corner today, as well as model a clock for the shelves, then this should be pretty much wrapped up for a long render :stuck_out_tongue: Oh! I made a new table as well, and textured it(but no gloss in this shot).

The shadows look much to dark to me in this render. I felt the way they were in post 46 seemed more natural. Love your new pillow by the way:)

I have mixed feelings on the end table… here is why. It’s a very cool design, but unfortunately since its the same wood as the chair, the nice lines of the table kind of get all “mixed up” with the chair lines… if that makes sense. I like the change you made to the pewter? in this latest render… I wonder what the whole end table would look like reversed … just completely flip flop your materials on the table. The trim pieces would be the matching wood, the main structure pewter… just thinking out loud.

love the table, I agree about the shadows. I cant tell if its a bump or not but the chair seems like it has RLY deep grains aswell.

@harleynut97: Thanks! The render in #46 has a lot of gloss on it, I just turned it off for this render :slight_smile:
As for the table, it does have a different wood than the chair, but I see what you mean. I actually did try it reversed , but didn’t necessarily like the way it looked…it almost blended together TOO well. The gloss and specular settings are quite different though, when I turn them on you should be able to tell better :slight_smile: Thanks again!

@ThorntonStrolia: See above LOL :slight_smile: Yeah, still working on the bump, I see it too. The gloss is showing them off more so I need to turn 'em down a bit :slight_smile: Thanks!