FPS Survivor: AI_Survivor [Free downloadable demo available]

Good game, but must be switch between window and fulscreen(for low eng PCs) However, works fine even for me(like 10 FPS fulscreen)

Thanks for that! I will look into implementing that. Im sure it shouldn’t be too difficult!

Actually that reminds me, earlier on I did a big optimization of the whole game. A big killer were the textures. There was a lot of large textures that were completely unnecessary (1024x1024 bullet hole textures etc!). I went through every single texture in the game and reduced their size/quality and made a massive performance gain. GPU latency went from 10-13ms down to 0.3-0.5ish so the game should run a bit smoother on slower machines now.

What do guys think of the menu screen so far?

Attachments

It is OK! I hope so it has animated background(it would look nice for this style background;)

Yeah I was thinking that. Possibly instead of having the robot sat there stationery, I could have one that flies past every sort of moment :slight_smile:

So, as I’m not so great at level design,

I’m going to take a modular approach to the next map. I’ve started making new and importing existing assets together ina bundle. Once I have a bit to choose from, I’ll make a start on the map itself.

This is what I’ve scraped up so far…

Attachments

Promo art work

After a lot of hair ripping and lots of coffee, I have a fully working gun manager for the game.
I’ve gone for the same sort of functionality you find in COD games. You have two slots, but you can pick up and swap your selected weapon with another weapon. I’ve set it up so that I can have as many weapons in the game as I like with different weapon types (Assault, pistol, smg, rocket).
Adding new guns to the game is as easy as:
Import gun object
Copy logic and properties from template gun
Create animations etc
Create a pick up object for the gun.

The weapon manager handles the rest.

…and that’s it :slight_smile:

I’ve decided to ditch the old fashioned pick-up system and replace it with an in game store.
Player starts each match with nothing. Get money for each robot killed to spend in store to buy ammo, sentries, EMP’s and new weapons.

This should actually be fairly easy to implement with the core I have in place already. Famous last words!

Player has a property for amount of money,
When a robot is killed it adds to that money variable.

Overlay scene for the shop, buttons just like any other menu.
Check if enough money for chosen item, if so then add to player. Whether that be to tell the weapon manager to add the selected type of ammo, or telling the player object that it has an extra turret or EMP.

So I’ve started writting the code for the store. No big hurdles just yet, but I’m only getting my foot in the door:

from bge import logic
import Rasterizer

cont = logic.getCurrentController()

scene = logic.getCurrentScene()
GameScene = logic.getSceneList()[0]

PlayerObj= GameScene.objects['Player']

hitObj = cont.sensors['MouseOver'].hitObject

#Set prices
PlayerFunds = obj_Player['iMoney']
Cost_Turret = 1000
Cost_Assault = 100
Cost_EMP = 10000

if cont.sensors['L_Click'].positive:
    if 'GUI_Button_ExitStore' in hitObj:
        Rasterizer.showMouse(False)
        cont.activate(cont.actuators['ResumeGame'])
        scene.end()

elif 'GUI_Button_BuyTurret' in hitObj:
        if Cost_Turret <= PlayerFunds:
            PlayerObj['iNumTurrets'] += 1
            PlayerObj['iMoney'] -= Cost_Turret

Hey guys, I’ve uploaded the updated demo and is available for download!

Linux 32: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3fNHFFEy8SKeE5DN0ExSVY1MVk&authuser=0
Linux 64: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3fNHFFEy8SKQXhwQmxycUxpVHc&authuser=0
Windows: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3fNHFFEy8SKbFhoa2dwZjRuQ28&authuser=0

I’ve disabled the second map on purpose and the shop only has a few things available. I still have a lot to do, but it’s coming along now.

P = Pause menu (I’ll later switch to esc key)

This is a really good effort! Although the game didn’t seem to run well on my computer, I think you’re really onto something with this.

All in all, I can’t wait for the updates!

Thank you PanHandle!

I have been a bit busy with other projects at the moment but I plan to get back on this. Although, I have considered re-doing it from scratch. The code/structure at the moment is extremely messy and complex and I’m starting to come up against bugs and problems. Sometimes starting again from scratch when you have a better idea of what is needed, is the best option! I’m considering creating the game in another engine, but we will see!

Well it’s been a while. Just like one of my other games, I’ve been busy migrating over to UE4. So I’ve made a very quick start on migrating AI.Survivor to UE4. Instead of being a walking FPS, it’s now ship FPS. If you’ve ever played or seen the game ‘Descent 3’ you’ll know what I mean :slight_smile:

I have the basic controls and some base classes set up for enemies and weapons etc. Setting up to have multiple enemies with different attacks/weapons etc.

I still want to go for a round based system with a a way of spending the points you earned in the last round on useful stuff.

Anyway, here is a very early video of the progress I have made so far.

Despite this game now becoming a UE4 project, I will continue this thread for continuation purposes so that the thread isn’t left for dead.

Music created with https://soundation.com/studio

Experimenting with high contrast/emissive lighting.

I’m researching some art styles to give the game some guidance for level creation. I really like the dark/neon look. Super cool! I’d like to keep a consistent feel across the game, even with lighter maps. I’m thinking of going for a generally high contrast/‘fake’ look. I’m thinking of ‘Team fortress’/‘Fortnite’ kind of theme. That kind of half realistic , half cartoon look. Although not so easy to pull off, if I can this should look better than me trying to go for realistic.

If anybody could point me to any articles about going for that art style. At a quick glance, it looks to be detailed diffuse textures but with a stylised colour palette, without any normal maps etc. Nice lighting/shadowing/ambient etc.