F16 A/B personal project - WIP

looks amazing

Cheers m8 @jagdpanther

We need an update bro!

@coolfield7 LOL…sorry been busy with my day job. So not to dissapoint here’s something I’ve been working today…

Still a couple of more things to do in PS and should be ready for a final render…Not to give much away, but working on an animation idea for this project, so I might be away for some time getting to grips with Premiere Pro. I’ll keep you guys updated…

Thanks for the interest [thumbs up]

Attachments

No problem man. Good luck with the animation. Plane looks nice! Love the tail textures.

Hi guys!!!

Well after major PC issue due to a power outage right when I was rendering a new livery on the F16 and where I lost most of my files due to corruption including this one plus some others and backups, I managed to recover most of them but unlucky that the F16 and two other Blender WIP were corrupted beyond recovery which meant that I had to remodel everything :(.

So here’s the new fuselage so far…good thing is that the topology is much cleaner and easier to unwrap and fix, so this is a big thumbs up

Once again, appologies for the time this is taking to finish and call it a day…and thanks for your patience

Attachments

Well that happened to me too and while it’s certainly sucks, it gives blank slate to work with. And that way possibility to make things better. At least I try to think it that way…As you really can’t do anything else about it. :slight_smile:

So don’t fall into despair. I’m sure it’s going to be cleaner and better model than before!
And remember to take backups!

After going through the post and looking at images #2 and #11 I can see straight away that the model is much better and cleaner and @IconW, I agree with you about giving a blank slate to work and making things better.

With all the experience gained before I’m sure I’ll be happy with the results. Also going through my notebook were I wrote down some tips and things during the previous process I found a note I made where the fuselage roughly at this stage had a bit over 8k verts, this new and improved one has 3k so far and IMO it looks much better.

NICE. If you compare post #2 and #68 there’s a BIG difference in topo. Much better now. It’s clean and it looks great. Keep at it bro!

@coolfield7 Cheers bro! well here’s an update before some Sunday friends visits to watch the World’s Cup Finals :mad:

Still have to attach the right wing (hence funny artifacts on wing tip)…I’m impressed of how quick and cleaner things are turning out this time round :yes:

This time I added leading-edge flap and flaparon to the wings.

Attachments

Looks much cleaner! Real shame about losing the file though…hopefully that doesn’t weaken your spirits too much :smiley:

Thanks @sdighe, it has been a blessing in disguise as it has given me the chance to rebuild a project that I was really enjoying…now it’s even more fascinating and enjoyable because of the cleaner mesh and also I get the chance to fix some basic mesh mistakes like too many loop cuts and other modeling mistakes.

Anyways, here’s an update:

Metcaps

Wireframes with subsurf Modifier applied

And with checkered texture without any seams yet, only a Smart Unwrap

Note I added the Tail and underbelly Stabilizers today, I’m surprised of how quick this is coming together :eek:

Also I have a bit over 25k verts and 23k faces

Attachments

UPDATE

Here’s what I’ve done so far:

• Added Elevators
  • Front Cockpit antennas
  • Position Lights on intake (R-Green and L-Red)
  • Wingtip AIM-9M Sidewinders

Verts count: under 70k
Faces count: under 60k

A little side note, in my notes written down @ this stage I was well over 130k Verts count in the F16 that I lost…so I’m well chuffed that I’m managing the mesh much better and that I’ve cut the verts and faces almost in half :yes:

Attachments

WOOOW! Looks sweet. Very clean and smooth. Those sidewinders look lethal :RocknRoll: Only takes one of those to take down my poor Henschel heheehehe :smiley:

UPDATE

Just finished modeling the speed brakes, created the basic drag chute and the inside of the engine

@coolfield7

Those sidewinders look lethal Only takes one of those to take down my poor Henschel heheehehe

Yeah but if unable to deploy them and faced with the tank buster’s PAK 40 75mm round I wouldn’t stand a chance…well I don’t think that many things old or new out there would stand a chance against a 75mm round :cool:

** Note: have fixed that weird pointy bulge in the belly **

Attachments

Awesome engine. WORD.

Lol. Thing could knock out any tank in the world. Not sure if it was calibrated to shot other planes though :spin: I read that towards the end of the war planes were fitted with heavier armament to try and counter the huge number of bombers attacking Germany. The Heinkel He 219A carried four 30mm cannons plus two 20mm cannons, the Me410 a 50mm gun, and the Junkers Ju 88 P-1 had a 88mm gun. Heavy ass weaponry.

** UPDATE **

Ok guys, this weekend I modeled the goose feathers on the exhaust and as always I started getting ahead of myself by playing around with materials/textures…need some sort of tips to make the drag chute a bit more realistic, any ideas or suggestions of how to go about it???

Attachments

This is the material/texture for the drag chute…I’m using the same texture for the seatbelt of course in different colour when I model the cockpit

And this is for the tyres

Attachments

So…the first model was good…this one is WAY better!!!

I did this search:

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1237&bih=705&q=f-16+drag+chute&oq=F-16+drag&gs_l=img.3.0.0i24.1244.3316.0.4837.9.7.0.2.2.0.214.973.0j5j1.6.0…0…1ac.1.49.img…1.8.977.IiqVjx4b6zo

And found a bunch of images that might give you the answers that you are looking for.

Good Luck. :wink: I’ll keep watching.

Thank you very much @tc2466, yes definitly the second one is much better and I’m loving the remake :D…much appreciated the search on the darg chute, but what I’m after is the best way to make the packed chute in Blender including the wrinkles and folds (see image http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h63/Sterkoder/Album%208/IMGP8034.jpg), so far all my models have been rigid bodies nothing as soft bodied like the fabric used in the chute…the only thing I have ever made was a cloth simulation falling on a vase and that was it, but obviously this won’t work.

Anywho, still have plenty to do and model before I get to the drag chute details…Thanks for your support

BTW, I was pleasantly surprised when looking at the images of your search I saw a few images of my F-16 :slight_smile: