F16 A/B personal project - WIP

from what i see it looks really really good, i cant see a problem with the curvature, or is there something else on your mind?

First of all, thanks for your comment kimozz89, it’s probably my OCD playing up again (half my brain wants a true to life model with all the level of details and perfect, but the other half it’s saying “keep it simple as this is 3D and you are NOT making a true to life model, besides you’re just learning Blender”)…LOL

UPDATE

Hope you guys like it!!

Attachments

Have been a busy bee today…:smiley: here’s another update.

I can open the beer now, finally got the canopy to match the curvature of the fuselage (was a couple of stray vertices that was messing my mind and confusing my eyes)…I’m happy now LOL

Anywho, heres a quick render to get thing back on track once again :eyebrowlift: and get my motivation back up.

Work to be done:

• attach the exhaust to the fuselage
  • model the air brakes
  • fix/remodel the missile rails on the wings
  • model the inside of the cockpit (sorry no pilot yet)
  • finish once and for all the @$%£# intake
  • model the main landing gear
  • add the flaps to the wings
  • rig all the movable parts i.e. landing gears, flaps, etc

And I wanted to thank everyone who has viewed this WIP so far, I never thought I would have a little over 1k views.

Attachments

After a few hours today on the PC, I’ve managed to finish the intake (Yieeepyyyyy!!!) did a basic main landing gear and fixed a few minor details, so not that bad for the time I had available.

Hope you guys like what I have done so far, as usual any comments, critique or suggestion is more than welcome…surely there must be one :wink:

Work to be done:

• attach the exhaust to the fuselage
  • model the air brakes
  • fix/remodel the missile rails on the wings
  • model the inside of the cockpit (sorry no pilot yet)
  • finish once and for all the @$%£# intake… [finished]
  • model the main landing gear… [WIP]
  • add the flaps to the wings
  • rig all the movable parts i.e. landing gears, flaps, etc… [only have rigged the canopy]

Question: which is the best way to add a small animation that I made testing the canopy’s rig? I don’t have nor I want to create a youTube channel yet :rolleyes:

Attachments

UPDATE

I’m sorry if this has dragged for this long, I’m sure many of you guys out there would have done this much quicker, but hey!!!

Hope you guys like these new renders.

I still have quite a bit to go, but it’s all coming together. Although I noticed on the last render that the wheels on the main landing gear needs improving.

Attachments

Hi Guys!!!

had a few hours available today, so I decided to add the gatlin gun’s opening and fix a few minor things. Nothing major.

Added the drag chute :smiley:

As usual any comment (I’m pretty sure there must be at least one), suggestion or critique is welcome.

Ohhh!!! forgot to mention I added a basic cockpit setup with ejection seat and consoles

Attachments

UPDATE

I’m almost finished with the modeling and will start with the texturing very soon. This is a preview of the top fuselage texturing only (mind you I’m not that very good at it) hope you guys like it.

I’m working to make the texturing to work in Cycles and/or Keyshot4

Note: I’m having issues with the modeling of the exhaust’s nozzle, so I might come back to it @ a later stage.

Attachments

Hi Guys!!!

I’ve created a Vimeo channel to post my animation tests.

This is my first video uploaded, a turntable view of the F16 without textures and where it is @ this stage of modeling…[http://vimeo.com/87881179

https://vimeo.com/87881179
](http://vimeo.com/87881179)

Hiya!!!

Well after a few weeks AFK and Blender, I tried and failed miserably in getting the textures right so decided to vent my frustration adding some bits and pieces to the composition…still haven’t finished modeling the landing gears and the undercarriage storage bay

Hope you guys like it.

Attachments

Great stuff man, I make movies and use green screen stuff. Place a few different angles available on a PNG transparent background. Create a cockpit large enough to place an actor in (think close up) tag it right and you will sell that stuff to film makers. Of course it needs markings and so forth.

Thanks man for the comment, it has boosted my motivation to learn more and soldier through the rough patches, as hopefully someday I can live out of doing precisely that…selling my work.

As mentioned I failed with the texturing, but the whole thing is begining to take shape. I started this as an exercise to see how far can I push it, and it’s growing to become this whole concept.

Hiya Guys!!!

Managed to grab a couple of hours on the PC and began unwrapping the plane, still having some issues, but it’s coming along alright…I must admit I’m still struggling with it, but as they say “the man is the size of the challange ahead of him” :wink:

Anywho, to get away from it for a while and just for fun I wanted to see how it looked in a more “realistic” environment, I hope you like it

Attachments

Hiya Guys!!!

I’m back after almost a month of working hard and extreme perseverance, I think I’ve cracked the UV unwrapping and mapping [hurray :cool:]

Probably the workflow is a bit off, but I wanted to learn as much as I could about UV’s and get that sorted out before I carried on with modeling the details like the lights and cutting out the wheel wells, just in case I needed to remodel the whole thing again. Great news is that the unwrapping worked out like a charm, so no need to remodel…

Here’s a small render test of the UV maps with stickers applied as nodes in cycles (yeah I couldn’t believe I learned that)…hope you guys like it, and as usual any comments, suggestion, ideas are welcome.

PS. Now here’s a question for all you BA’s…I would like to add a second Normal Map (the one I am using @ the moment is for the panels outline, which I’m pleased with the results as it creates the feeling of being inwards), now this second Normal Map would have the raised rivets to finish off the paneling, so I need it to give the opposite feel of the panels…any ideas if this is possible???

Attachments

That looks really good! It’s nice to see how far this project is coming. Are you planning on modelling the slats on the exhaust nozzle or are you going to texture them in?

Thanks sdighe for your comment

Hope this answers your question :wink:

It’s amazing how it all began as an excercise and it has grown into this massive project, I love it.

BTW sdighe, I really liked your M6 specially the level of details in the tyres and rims…just WOW!!!

Attachments

haha thanks man! im glad my work is appreciated :smiley: Looking forward to the fully textured F-16 :slight_smile:

Hi there guys,

well here’s an update, today I decided to remodel the landing gears and this is what I’ve done so far…hope you like it

sdighe haha thanks man! im glad my work is appreciated :smiley: Looking forward to the fully textured F-16 :slight_smile:

I’m also looking forward to fully texture it, but as I have the UV unwrapping beast controlled, I’ll finish up the details and a few other missing things before texturing so “watch this space” :wink:

Attachments

This is really fun following the progress. Keep up the great work!

Thanks Trawler! It sure has been a rollercoaster of emotion, frustrations and screaming moments but after going through the post I’ve come to realize how far I have come in the whole project, not only as a modeller but as a better observer of things that surround me.

I’ve been bitten by the 3D bug and now everything I see, I see it in wireframe mode and projecting on them quads, tris and n-gons…hahahahaha (I think I need a shrink/witch doctor or something) I’m even trying to go into edit mode and moving my bread’s nodes when I’m making my breakfast…ROFL

BTW I’m glad you are having fun following this journey! :RocknRoll: that’s the whole idea