Dodge RAM 3500 2010 XS Edition 100 Cars in Blender

This looks really good! Almost photo realistic.

Amazing! All of your car renders are top-notch. I am currently in the process of modelling a Dodge Viper and I want to know if you have any tips for modelling and/or rendering vehicles.

One of the best outdoor shadows in cycles, ever.

Great work!

Amazing!!!:spin:

First - 09:11 & 09:10 - Etti - dude - you’ve got to get another card, you owe it to yourself. I saw tenfold improvements in render times going from Radeon 5770 to GTX 660 (also had to boost PSU). Ole’s site is a good resource.

Second - Excellent work and inspirational. Honestly, if it wasn’t for the absolutely amazing work that you and other artists share and are featured here, I would have given up trying to learn 3D and not bothered trying to find the answer to my stupidest noob questions… something that I had intended to do forty-five minutes ago but just had to check out your wonderful work :wink:

Awesome work.

Wow! Thank you very much my friend, but all in all, I have to owe it to you guys here for giving me all this awesome support, I am planning on opening a store for 3D models I’ll be selling in the near future, so then I’ll definitely be upgrading. The computer I use to render my cars was never actually built for rendering, because 5 years ago I use to do a lot of pro gaming, but since I found blender that all changed. :smiley:

Well for modeling, pretty much every car I build differently, the best I can say here is to model the car in pieces, every body panel seperate, this allows for less work if you make a mistake. On top of that, I hammer myself with it, and a few of my friends that started to get lessons from, they hate it me for this but, as much as you possibly can, keep your model clean!:yes: Triangles are good for games and game engines. Not for high quality renders. I despise triangles, where I can I will make quads because light and general texturing reacts ten fold better than triangles.:yes:

As for lighting systems, for the most part, every car I model, I do a different render setup, for a specific reason. I aim to give every single car of mine a different character and feel. Though I must admit, since my Fiesta I kept with the same studio, which is bad for presentation, but alas, depending on what you’re going for will determine your lighting setup. The best way is to set up a lighting system that compliments your car’s body lines. Showing off the curves of a car is a big bonus, and getting lighting to explicitly expose these parts of a car is good.:yes:

At the end it all comes down to one thing. The lighting should compliment your car, not too dark, and not too light. And also, camera angles, the fiesta I made I experimented with camera angles as much as I could, until I found the one that made the car look awesome, and rendered that.:smiley:

On a side note

I know I’ve said this alot, but I want to say thanks to everyone here on BA.:yes: I’ve learned a lot and still learning from the community, you guys are the reason why I do what I do. Apart from the fact that I have an obsession with it, it is nice to share the renders with you guys.:smiley:

Regards

Xelus

Not trying to bother–Very nice render, almost perfect if it wasn’t for the texture stretching on the cockpit…

Just great!
You deserve a Medal :smiley:

Thanks my friend, as for the texture stretching that is actually the IOR of the glass shader for the windshield, something that I hate about the glass shader. Still working on a method to make a transparent glossy “window” shader. Thank you for the feedback. :slight_smile:

Very nice, man. You definitely have talant .
The desert scene looks a little bit off to me - well, you know, bakkie’s dont shine in deserts… :P. Only on a TV adverts maybe. After 5 minutes of driving on that sand your car would be full of dust…and other things.
Everyone sais its perfect - but thats what makes it not perfect. When you go for realism - imperfection is your secret weapon. Textures must tell to a viewer the story of the model. If there is no story…its as good as - " dead".
There are plenty of people who can structure polygones…but only few can present their model.

Nice work, Xelus.

Thanks a lot my friend, I do agree with your comment, I did try to get more detail like dust onto the body, as for the glossyness of the car, that is another slip-up on my part, thanks for the feedback, really appreciate the critique, more critique means I can earn out of it. :wink:

wow that’s amazing. such an extreme model that it looks like a picture of a real one!

100 cars?! OMG!!

Congratulations… those ARE badass renders!

You must consider to offer yourself a GTX card…

Thank you very much my friend. I still can’t believe that I hit a 100 cars, feels like yesterday when I started it all. As for the GTX Card. Well as mentioned before, I’m planning on opening an online shop where I’ll be selling my 3D models, well not the custom editions but the stock ones I’ve built together with characters, weapons and all sorts of models I’ve built in the past up to now. Money I make there I’ll definitely be looking at doing an upgrade to make more models and cool renders like this. :wink:

Thanks again to everyone for commenting, and especially to the folks who have given it critique too, really appreciate it! Can’t believe this thread has hit the 6000 view mark. WOW! Thanks a lot BA! The community and staff are epic! :smiley:

Where in SA are you based?

If you are in Pretoria or JHB then i know a guy that has good prices.

I live Klerksdorp, thanks for the offer, though I’m planning on building a completely new rig, from scratch, getting rid of this AMD crap and going intel and Nvidia. :wink:

Awesome job! And congrats on that 100th milestone :slight_smile: (steak for everyone?)

You mentioned in one of the earliest replies about your thoughts on the lighting of the outdoor scene, that it could need some extra work. I am a photographer so lighting is something I would “see” first, but because I love to learn, I like to know why you say that, from a CGI artist perspective. If I may, I would say that the top faces of the car could be a bit lighter. Judging from the shadows it would be around noon so the sun will hit the roof more than the sides. By the way I am new here so just let me know if unsolicited feedback isn’t welcome from newbies, not sure yet what the unwritten rules are here :wink:

Greetings my friend

First off welcome to the BA forums, hope you’ll enjoy your stay here. :smiley: As for the lighting, it still feels unrealistic to me, can’t quite put my finger on what it is, but it bothers me. The lighting angle as you say could be wrong. And lastly, any critique is more than welcome. :wink: