Digital Apprentice Entry - Stealth Walker

Good job here…can’t wait to see it in action. Design is different and perfectly done.

Moved to the gallery.

BgDM

Hey, congrats on the move, friend! Inspiring work you’ve put up here.

-Biggles

looks great, love robotic stuff

But human torso and arms are opposite to the legs. People can stretch their arms, twist their torsos, etc.

When this robot lifts one leg, it will fall for that same side.

Other than that the model is really well done.

I just tried and I can walk and run without doing either(extending or twisting). Bipedal locomotion is usually only a controlled fall, anyway.

God damn beautiful!!!

Beautiful!!!

Looks like a suped up tech version of this. It’s a mutant from a Ukrainian game called S.T.A.L.K.E.R. (no, not what you think) and seeing this reminds me of it. The back of this mutant, called the Pseudogiant, kinda looks like it has deformed short legs like this that don’t reach the ground. Just thought I’d make a reference. Awesome, detailed job. Wish I was that good!

That’s an excellent piece of work! Being a Blender newbie and a mecha lover, I wish I could do that some day.
Just curious, with regard to the torso with those flexible segments, do you get any inspiration from the EVA robot from the Japanese anime Neon Genesis Evagelion? I personally am a big fan of that series!

The design is definitely Japanese.

Agreed, it looks very top heavy… one bump and it would fall flat on the floor.

Ok, but I can’t see how this fall will be controlled.
How will it be able to stand in one foot only? I can’t see that.
If the legs were close to the centre of gravity, its weight would be better distributed.

And you can walk because you learned how to walk. You correct your posture without even noticing it. If walking was so simple, children would start walking around as soon as they could stand on their feet.

Man, you really have it in for this thing. XD

I tried, I can still walk with my legs out to the sides in a crouch. Standing on one leg is possible, if hard. It’d probably be easier for the robot to walk this way, because it was designed for it and because by no means can I do the splits, and because the thing’s torso is not totally rigid, it’s segmented and has moveable arms/legs at the end of it.

Anyway, if ‘walking being difficult’ was an issue, then you would have much bigger fish to fry, with the Terminator series, Star Wars, Half-Life et al. I mean, in that respect, this thing’s AI is a problem too, so is its power source. So are most futuristic technologies. I have an idea in my head for an army of cyborg ninjas that, in fact, fight using stored potential energy acquired by locally damming the space-time continuum, which is probably impossible, but really, why does it matter?

See, I am perfectly willing to accept that I am all wrong, but at this point I’m bloody-mindedly arguing the point because I have a bit of a soft spot for the fantastic, and because I don’t think people should ever return awesome stuff in exchange for science-misering. Today’s Science lasts until the next new theory, but awesomeness will gleam forever; and now reply how you like, but I think I’ll bow out of this one before I totally side-track this very cool and freshly-designed robot’s thread onto a debate about art or politics or dragons or something.

Of course you can walk:D Your body “design” is different from that robot.

I’m not saying it is bad because of that.
It is a nice design, well modelled, lighten, rendered. That is me criticizing from the artistic perspective.
But I’m also (also, not only) pointing technical problems, so, IF he wants to work on them, he can.

Woah! Thanks for the bump to the gallery. I really appreciate.
And thanks everyone for the comments. I did noticed about it not able to walk but I did enjoy creating this. Anyway thanks for the comments, fellows. On to the next project.

Thanks for the inspiring work you have done. Whatever you are working on next I would love to see a WIP of it!

Thanks man :slight_smile:

Looks like something from a Hollywood sci-fi movie - a very high budget one. Awesome work!

It’s an incredible model and render.

My only problem is that the render is very low in contrast. Try playing with the levels in photoshop (or gimp i guess if you use that, but judging by how you have Maya, i’m guessing you have PS) and bringing up the shadows so you get a full white to black spectrum in there.

It looks kinda washed out in my opinion.
Take it into photoshop and bump up the contrast. I guarantee you will get a more professional look :slight_smile:

But really, this model is great. Unlike most cg robots, you can tell that a lot of thought went into the design of this one, because it actually looks interesting :wink:

Keep up the good work!