Derekg1080 Sketchbook (Some Nudity :) )

Here is an alien male sculpt I did a while back. I’m reposting it here so I can just update my first post with my latest projects:)

Here is something new. Dirty vertex paint and vertex paint for some color variation. Comments are welcome:)

Here is one more render of this guy…a little tweaking and adjustments in lighting:P

Dig how that Demon turned out!
Cool design and good sculpting. It’s just the textures that feel a bit forced. Have you tried bringing down the higlights on the textures and letting the actual sculpt and lighting do some of that work?
Either way, sweet final.

Still playing with this guy:) Did a lot of material setup and lighting adjustments. Added some SSS which I think turned out pretty good. Any thoughts? I’m think of incorporating this guy into one of my other projects, he has inspired me. Currently everything is either procedural textures or vector painting which has its limitations:)

nice vegetations!! did u make them?

The trees? Ya I made them:) A combination of arboro and manual edits to the trunks. I am trying to get a good leaf shader with the right shine and translucency. Thanks for the comment:)

Hey, I love teh model, some cool exageration and proportions, bags of character.

i think teh lighting is a little flat though… maybe a 3 point would bring out teh forms more.

right on thanks Michael. I will definetly play more with the lighting:) Been following your sketchbook for a while, really awesome stuff man! thanks for the feedback

Here is some new stuff:) I’m calling it “Jade in the Wind”

jade in the wind is wonderful!..also, the jade looks pretty good. maybe highlights a tad sharper, to show hard polish better?

Thanks Doris I appreciate the feed back:) Jade is definitely a tricky one, so many variations in darkness and polish. A tad sharper on the reflections might show off the sculpting a bit more:) Of course I’ll continue to play around with this one:)

Somethin new for you guys:) I’m getting more comfortable with sculpting characters. Let me know your thoughts:)

creepy…lol…well it is an alien, is it not? how could we know if it is sculpted correctly? … the bony area around the eyes would make a human proud though… the other parts, a human would be happy not to have…

hehe thanks Doris, he is most definitely an alien:) I forgot to mention that. I’m glad you got the creepy factor because after going through many variations on color I decided the black and white against the black glossy eyes struck a note with me. I have figured out some new sculpting methods…nothing new to more advanced sculptors I’m sure but I never used masking to its full capabilities.

I like making these quick sculpts over my lunch break…its hard to stop though hehe:) But at least it forces me to call is finished and post some new stuff. Ironically the material setup probably took longer than the sculpting:)

I used to sculpt with real clay a lot through high school and college and found that I was rather good at it. I liked helping others in the classes find purpose out of mistakes. When I started digital sculpting I found it difficult to get back to that point because I associate digital sculpting with having a lot more control and feeling like there shouldn’t be any mistakes. I’m learning to embrace mistakes once again and keep moving forward:)

Sorry that got a bit long just sharing my thoughts:)

Almost forgot…here is a rendering from my every continuing tree vegetation library. Doing some test viewport renders and really liked this angle with the DOF…I know its strong but a bit more artistic:)

Todays lunch break sculpt:) Just having fun with shapes and material. I call him “Long Face”

I love this sculpt Derek! Very nice cartoon like forms. The materiel is very nice as well, it adds alot to the sculpt.

instead of long face, also " little brain" would be suitable as the back skull is so very small… lol… but, i came in to say i like this fella too despite the odd proportions.
aah, you worked with clay! that explains something:-) … yes, the more you can just sculpt and allow mistakes you can grow as a sculptor… no sculpting stroke ever needs be the perfect one, as with clay, the sculpture gradually gets closer to the envisioned one, , in each step we evaluate what we have done so far, correct mistakes, improve parts… i think it is very valuable to talk these things, as many struggle same and wonder… enjoy your lunch break sculpts, good opportunity!

Thanks Doris its always good to hear your insight on this topic:) Maybe next sculpt I’ll go for something more realistic. All depends on what inspiration I find today. I like staying a bit stylized as a form of artistic expression I guess:) One of my favorite digital sculptors right now is SupremeFunk and Adam Fisher. If you haven’t heard of them search for them on youtube:) SupremeFunk is more stylized where Adam can be more hyper realistic. I think I like to be somewhere in between. We’ll see what the next lunch break brings;)