Cycles Automatic Material Textures Node

This is great, Thank you! I’ve been sort of afraid of Cycles- it seems so hard to learn. This script will definitely help me to learn how to make Cycles materials.

thanks for the upgrade :slight_smile:

Is it possible to do the opposite?
To convert Cycles material to work in Blender Internal.

Still working in 2.63.11, hope your still working on this project. Cant wait for the next update, thank you, very much.

Hi,
with 2.63a official and latest blender 2.63.13, i get this error :

INFO start bake texture Texture.002
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/x/.blender/2.63/scripts/addons/system_cycles_material_text_node.py", line 494, in execute
    AutoNode()
  File "/home/x/.blender/2.63/scripts/addons/system_cycles_material_text_node.py", line 343, in AutoNode
    BakingText(tex,'PTEX')    
  File "/home/x/.blender/2.63/scripts/addons/system_cycles_material_text_node.py", line 112, in BakingText
    bpy.data.screens['UV Editing'].areas[1].spaces[0].image = bpy.data.images["TMP_BAKING"]
KeyError: 'bpy_prop_collection[key]: key "UV Editing" not found'

Silvio Falcinel, you just joined the ranks of my Blender Heroes with this script!

This is a great script! Thank you!

Great Script! But may I give a suggestion? How about skipping the Materials that couldn’t be converted and continue Conversion? I just noticed that every time the script encounters an error, the script stops and then, some of the materials wouldn’t be converted.

Hi,

I’m completely lost :frowning:

I followed the installation instructions to the letter, but there is no “Cycles automatic node compositor” in the list. I’m using Blender 2.64 if that matters. I tried “manually installing” but exactly what am I supposed to install and how do I install it??

Clicking on the link brings up the script, so how to I change the text into a python script that I can install into my addons folder??

I can copy and paste it, but that just gives me a text document I don’t understand. If the addon isn’t already in the user preference install add on list how do I get it there?

I would really appreciate any help because it appears either that I’m missing something extremely obvious (but bot to me) or that I need some information I don’t yet have.

Tim

i haven’t tried this script yet, but this would be awesome to be able to quickly convert blender scenes to cycles.
(ibviously yo will still need to fine tune it, but the majority of the work would be done…
setting up the materials glossy+diffuse+Material etc… )

can there be an option to convert cycles materials to blender internal

Have you tried clicking the “install add on” button in the addon list? if you select it from your computer it should be automatically placed in the correct directory and appear in your list

Thanks for your reply Brachi,

I did try that, and it opens a file browser which appears to require me to have a .py file to select to be installed, but the link for the extension takes me to a text file of the python extension, not a .py file.

That’s where I’m stuck, I even tried to save a text file of it and select that, but the install extension is looking for a .py file isn’t it?

I guess my question is actually, how do I make or get the .py file instead of a text document of it the i get when I click the link.

Thanks,
Tim

Could you make it work?
I don’t know if I understand correctly, buy maybe the error is something silly as changing the extension in your file, from .txt (or whatever you pasted into) to .py.
You can also right click the link in the first post system_cycles_material_text_node.py and use “save as” and it will download the script as .py

Thanks for the reply Brachi,

I think that this is the answer I’ve been looking for. I did try to change the file extension before saving, and for whatever reason it didn’t work. I haven’t tried right clicking, as it never occurred to me, I think this is the simple, and obvious solution I needed. I’ll test it and let you know what the results are when I do.

Tim

Thanks very much for this tool - I need something just like this to convert rather large libraries of materials into cycles materials. Is this still under active development? Seems more relevant now than ever, since Cycles is officially the future of Blender now. Also, could you put some slightly more detailed instructions on the wiki page? (http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:2.6/Py/Scripts/System/Cycles_Automatic_Node_Editor)

Are the “Extract Alpha Texture” and “Extract Procedural Texture” buttons working in the latest versions of Blender?

Cheers,
Mark

Brachi,

You’re awesome!! Right click and “save link as” WAS the answer I was looking for. I knew it was simple, but I didn’t know which simple action to take.

Thanks Again,
Tim

Seems to be broken when you use a texture map with an alpha channel, like a world continent image.

It crashes on 2.65 when I click BLENDER > CYCLES button.

It seems to be a pathing issue:

\…..\Maps\Nasa Earth\world_grid_mask_00000_BAKING.jpg

NOTE: I tried turning off Relative Paths under User Preferences but Blender still presents a relative path to the variables in the script. I even tried fixing it by forcing an absolute path using os.path.abspath(var).

thanks for the script.

same for me, dont work anymore … too bad, i would love to use this script … is there any hope that this will be fixed?!