creature WIP

Great creature and modelization ! keep it up :slight_smile:

Nice creature! thanks for showing the process.

On the last view the creature seems to lean forward. If you folow a kind of S shape, it would be better balanced.

Today I mainly focused on the arachnoid spikes and creatures hand (wip) certianly using the 3d cursor a lot today. :slight_smile:

Great hand … hope to see this creature finished :slight_smile:

Cheers for the feedback Today I tried out some other modeling options, still more tweaking
but getting closer to having a single Creature mesh ready for me to edit away some the symmetry.

Sudai

Attachments

Really nice!

Just a couple of update pics, put some ugly colours on the mesh just to show the separate parts. I have been using 2.57 since last week, finding lots of extra tools and improvements,if you ain’t got it get it, and be sure to check out the add on tab in the users preferences menu ie: mesh loop tools by Bart Crouch and mesh relax by Fabian Fricke great work guys, big thanks to the developers, this app is :cool:

Attachments

Looking pretty sweet. How are you going to texture him?

First sort out a nice uv map puzzle and go from there, I would like to try out the texture paint option in blender and see how that pans out, and do a normal map once I understand how to use the sculpt tools so heaps to do yet :smiley:

just a quick 2 minute light set up & subsurf 1 on the model for something to do,I plan to get stuck into the editing of the mesh tomorrow,

Looks great ! Are you going to animate it ?

Looks a bit like Kraid from the Metroid-series.

Started doing some more dental work and setting up some selection sets to make life easier for when i make shape key targets.

@ Binchou1981
Yes I will be doing my best to animate him later on, it will be good to see him have some life :yes:

Attachments

Started on the UV map layout, so far it seems to be working out ok, using the live unwrap feature certainly helps with tweaking the layout once the worst is out the way now all I have to do is improve it more :spin:

Attachments

looking good.

Well I finally got the UV layout sorted after a lot of trial and error, it certainly pays to pin those UV’s down so you don’t stuff up all your hard work,you need at least two pins other wise when you unwrap another part it all turns to custard.

Pretty nice use of the texture sheet. You’ve got a cool monster here congrats. Any closeups you do will most likely be of the head and hands, I usually try to assign those more real estate on the sheet.

I’ve been following this thread, you’ve done some great modeling work with that creature and the creature itself is very unique and away from a generic design (not like I have a major problem with generic animals but what you’ve done is good).

Insect antennas, insect legs, crab claws, a body partly resembling a cross between a reptile and a slug, and pointy teeth, I think you’ve gotten all of that meshing together well and making it and somewhat threatening to someone who would cross paths with it. :wink:

Thanks :slight_smile: the last time I done any full on UV work was in LW 5.0 and I had to unweld verts flatten the mesh and use a morph target and reweld it back together ,So Im enjoying learning Blenders tool set. :yes:
With regards to using more real estate for the head etc I was thinking about using a separate UV map for the head arms etc but was concerned with loosing the aspect ratio of the textures due to the difference in scale of the UV’s which is why I used the average island scale option, any thoughts or tips on this is more than welcome from anyone out there.

Sudai

Looks like mr snail had a good time last night with mrs velociraptor. Looking good, maybe the head could need some more attention.